Let the rebuild start... Summer 2018 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like half the team

maskito and cantona94 repped this.
  2. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still hate him.

Shen-O repped this.
  3. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus the extra 7 minutes they got at the end of EVERY SINGLE GAME, no matter the opponent.

maskito and Shen-O repped this.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was an art to being English and playing for Utd

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m wondering when we will get to see Mav or holding this season

I personally thought mav looked like he had real potential last year, I would like to see him paired with sok

I think bellerin is ok and Lichsteiner (spelling lulz) but we desperately need a lb (sell kol)

I have no idea who is available who we could sign

Valencia sold their lb to inter (forget his name) who looked decent, I wonder if Hernandez will be tired of playing second fiddle to Marcelo? Could we tempt shaw from Utd as he is in his final year?

If we sign a lb and bro g in a direct and quick winger, the composition of the squad isn’t that bad

If we can get money for mustafi there has to be a decent cb out there who has pace and is young? That Turkish kid in Germany? I quite like ake at Bournemouth (Jimenez is the dream but 0 chance)

Leno
    Cech

New lb
    Monreal

Bell
    lichtsteiner

Sok
    Mustafi
    Holding
    Mav

Torreira
    El nenney

Xhaka
    Guendozi

Ramsey
    Ozil
    Smith Rowe

Mikhi
    Nelson
    Iwobi

Auba
    Laca
    Welbeck
    Nkeita

I can see ozil leaving but unsure what few we could get for him. Who will pay his wages? China?

I like him but if we sold him for the money to buy a talented wide player I would be all for it. Width is so important for emery, a great lw who cuts in with pace (martial) would score loads

The windows just closed but it’s always fun to project ideas

Super Llama repped this.
  6. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Turkish kid in Germany was purchased by Leicester I believe although I could be misremembering. Would definitely like to see Mavropanos get some game time soon myself.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Btw bro g is winger

Fcuk knows what happened there with applespell correct

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Let's not forget SAF did not have an adverse red card or peno decision given against Utd for 18 months stretching from approx New Year in the season he was pipped to the title, until his final title winning season was wrapped up

Still remains a bizarre statistic

Shen-O, cantona94 and thebigman repped this.
  9. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    We need at least one athletic CB in the stables. Holding, chambers, mavropanos—while not the same, they will struggle against the same opponents as mustafi and Sokratis. Manager needs some versatility and athleticism in the squad to call on.

The next two windows I’d prioritize an athletic CB prospect and a wide player with pace along with a LB with pace.

If Ramsey goes, I’d also like a physically dominant player for a midfield option as well. I have high hopes for torriera but he isn’t holding off challenges to drive the ball forward or winning many headers.

As for ozil, he is a massive player for us, but if he’s not going to buy in with Emery then he can go. I’m sick of his lack of performance in big games. We’d probably have to take a reduced fee to convince a club to pay his wage unless PSG or United came for him.

Basically, we need diverse options so the manager can find combos that work—sometimes by chance (e.g. Santi+DM).

10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News coming out in the last hour that Nelson is moving to Hoffenheim on a permanent transfer

11. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Been hearing that, not happy at all. But he is too good for reserve football.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we don't let him go without a buyback clause

mebeSajid repped this.
  13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing a couple rumors now that he may sign a contract extension and move to Hoffenheim on loan. I would be ok with that.

14. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can go. A buyback would be good but he is way too big for his own shoes. From what I have seen, he should be on the sub bench for 15-20 min cup cameos at best.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope this doesn't become another Gnabry type thing.

16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Where is this coming from? There isn't even a peep about it on today's Sky Transfer Center Blog.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    https://t.co/JIOgaA5F1q

18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The Sky Blog generally summarizes tabloid rumors, but haven't included the one, at least not as of an hour ago. A loan makes more sense than selling him, but with injuries and previous transfers the depth for Cup competitions is starting to look pretty thin.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seen it reported in a few places, and it was all over twitter this morning.

20. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    That's probably the best-case scenario if in fact he is leaving this window. On the other hand, it shouldn't have been allowed to get this far. From what I understand, you can sign a professional contract in England at 17, so he's been eligible for one for 18 months or so.

According to wikipedia he had 16 appearances for us last year. We should have made him sign a new contract last year by the time he had five or six.

I don't know if we've changed any kind of official policy but it does seems as how we've rebuilt the squad so as all the players who are playing for us have, at least for the moment, committed their careers as well. It's only Ramsey left at this point, sticking out like a sore thumb. My guess is this is why Moe and Xkaha have had their contracts extended (and why I support that for that matter).

A player with 2+ years remaining on his deal is at the club's mercy. A player with one year or less remaining is in a position to jerk the club around, and almost all of them have.

21. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know the player can decide to sign or not, yeah?

22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I don’t know if it was arsene or gazidis or budgetary reasons, but our contract situations basically since RVP has been poop.

Was watching Amazon’s city docu series and how they handled Fernandinho. They had just given him an extension a year prior so he had two years left I think which would see him 34 at expiry. But yet he wanted and extension and they extended him again. He will be almost 36 when his new deal expires I think.

Sure, he may not contribute a lot the last year or so, but that removes all speculation and gives the player and his family the security and stability they desired.

I know the series is santitized and all and god damn pep is fcuking annoying. But one thing that sticks out is Kompany. He really does seem like a “boss” around the club. I honestly can’t see anyone at arsenal the last 10 years filling a similar role.

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors floating around that we are on the verge of signing Yaya Toure on a free

24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I guess making Xhaka look fast is one solution.

Shen-O repped this.
  25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Wow. After being linked with him for a straight decade, this can’t be possible. Would actually be hilarious though. Wouldn’t we have to shift someone though? I thought you could only sign a free agent if you had a roster slot free. Do we?