Let My People Go

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kaiser kraut, Aug 20, 2002.

1. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Let My People Go

Where is this coming from? You've now said this at least twice, but I've never heard this anywhere else that we have a 4 year clock running, and if things are better by then it's bye-bye MLS. What is the goal they are trying to reach? Recoup all losses by then, which seems completely unrealistic, or to just have the bleeding stopped and be in black on an annual basis?

If they're really concerned about all of that. Then they will market the hell out of the new venue in LA and run full page adds on a nearly daily basis, give out coupons for season tickets, have a freakin concert there every game if that's what it takes. But if money is the issue and getting collectively on track, then I say in the short term it is now up to LA to carry the brunt (no, not referring to sh!tty KC defender who we owned on Sunday) of the burden.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Let My People Go

I believe he's talking about the 5 year deal MLS announced when they announced this year's TV package.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the winter, the League owners made a committment to operate for five years. They said at the time that the league had to accomplish some things in that time. One of the big ones is the Stadium issue.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/01/mls1207funding.html

The MLS press release is pretty vague; other comments made at the ime made it clear what they were talking about.

Because whether we like it or not, the SSS is the only way this league makes it. Otherwise keeping the doors open is just a license to lose more money.

Attendance is not going to skyrocket. TV ratings, and money, are not going to fall from the sky.

The ONLY way MLS can survive is by controlling the revenues it DOES have. There is no second choice.

And nobody knows this better than the guys who are digging into their pockets to cover the bills. The first of those 5 years is almost up. Four to go.

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Or by looking for new streams of revenues...

Developing and selling assets is a source of revenue that I'm not certain those digging into their pockets fully understand...

Its just to be in the black on an annual basis.

5. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the press release, I think they have made some big steps since they released that.

1. Yep, they evaluated the teams and got rid of Miami and Tampa Bay. From what I've heard, and this is just generally speaking, this move has cut a significant amount of annual loss from the league.

2. The NTC in Carson, CA which will become the new home of the Galaxy was announced in Feb. 2002, so that is another thing that has come to fruitition since this press release. As I said before, I feel that this will be a huge money maker for the league, and I expect LA to draw very good crowds next year (or at least they better!).

I agree they need to look at their "player development" decisions and how they can best profit from this while including what is best for the player.

There is a vote in September sometime in northern Jersey regarding a stadium there, and if that goes through, then I think we'll be fine with regard to our remaining 4 years.

6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    One Great Guy...notice I don't call ou a big fat ass, egotistical, chauvenistic, jerk?

But it's pretty obvious.

i am assuming you are in sports marketing with all of your genious remarks. Guess what? I'm sure to bury you with my expertise. Notice i asked a question? Not gave answers.

this league depends on one man to stay with us. Period. he folds...MLS folds. So you can rant on about all of your brilliant reasons why, if, or what if, and it comes down to one person and whether or not he decides to keep this toy.

that is it. Not even Lamar wil put up the dough he has....correct or not? No marketing on earth will change that one fact.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? If it's what you think, go for it. This is America, honey - live like you wanna live.

No, I'm not in "Sports Marketing". I'm not a pimp either, but I know what people want in a cheap piece of ass.

As for the rest of this, I just have no idea what you're trying to say. Sorry.

Who is this magic person? Phil Anschutz comes to mind. Or maybe Alan Rothenberg..

I never rant; I pompously pontificate frequently, but I never rant.

Please, someone, please help me. I have no idea what this is about. If anybody out there has a "Female Hysteria - to - English Dictionary" would you give me a clue? Thanks.

8. swims

swims Member

Only on soccer boards can gold be so deftly spun into hay...

Despite what the 1040EZ may say, selling off assets is not a source of revenue. It is a source of liquidity, but the issue for MLS is not ready cash, but long term growth. If MLS is ever perceived as a developmental league for european soccer, it will never tap into the present day non-soccer fan base that still doesn't think soccer is a major sport played by 'real' athletes.

The fact that there may be offers on the table that MLS turned it's collective nose up at is evidence that the league is fairly healthy financially, or at the very least (and redundantly), the investors feel positive about their investment. However, if the league starts selling off assets, you can rest assured that the league is struggling, bankrupt, or dead.

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good point. If you go on Ebay and start seeing a lot of names from MLS rosters, you know the league is about to fold... hmmm... I wonder how much you would have to pay to get somebody's contract on Ebay?

You don't really have to pay them to play soccer. You'd just be paying them so that you can be their boss. "Hey Landon, why don't you run down to the store for me and pick up some Pepsi, a pizza, and wiffle ball bat for me to hit you with when you screw up. Oh, don't forget to pick up some Pampers for Baby Ben."

10. swims

swims Member

Preston North End has made it clear their intent to purchase the lights at Crew Stadium. All fans are asked to bring flashlights to the final home game.