Leiweke's View of the Future

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Dignan, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=478021&cc=5901

Interesting quotes.

As I have said in other posts, we are living with a whole different reality in MLS now. With a diversified ownership group, soccer stadiums, and teams turning a profit, a major shift has occurred. MLS is no longer about trying to get by, its now the sky is the limit. Oh yeah and by the way, the American soccer market is still all potential.

Is MLS at Premeirship quality? No. Can it be in 10 years? Yes.

Leiweke and others are starting to envision a day when MLS is one of the best leagues in the world. I think its very possible. We have come a long way.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. For you all who have been following the league with blood, sweat and tears since 1996, good work, now get ready to reap the benefits.

Peace.

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

The important thing to remember is that, even if there is no more potential from here on out, MLS is permanent. The last five years saw to that.

3. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    dont get too comfortable; we still got many years to get to where we want to be. there will still be many ups and downs

sorry, i have a habit of ruining the party:rolleyes:

4. stlknited87

stlknited87 New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Belleville, IL

well i would expect that from a red sox fan, thanks for ruining the party.:rolleyes:

it really sounds like a cubs fan statement now days, but we will let it slide

5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liewike is a dreamer.

He's a huckster, a seller.

His comments don't have to be based in any reality, they are about buzz and selling.

It's about the immidiate buzz, not about the long term reality. I've been a Los Angeles Kings fan for enough years to know that his predictions of the future are garbage.

I'm not saying MLS isn't flying high and on its way, I'm just saying I'd take the insight of just about any MLS executive before his.

Him and Lalas are of the same mold.

6. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet it took so long to fit the two pieces together.

7. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS will not be Premiership quality anytime soon . . . exspansion every two or three years will see to that. Especially since the league doesn't want to stop at 20 teams. A new team next year with possibly two more the year after that with many more markets clammering to get in line to be the next franchise will both help and hamper the league's growth

Yes MLS is here to stay and it will soon be a strong league with many quality players, but there will be a S-L-O-W growth of the overall level of play.

8. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana

Got any other brilliant things to say you jealous bigsoccer turd?
    You have no clue what your talking about. Everything you are saying here is utter nonsense.

9. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it, the power of negative thinking. I take you for a glass have empty kind of a guy.

10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jealous of what?

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is a bigger MLS fan then me.

I'm just saying that Liewike saying something is as worthless as Lalas saying it. They both are absolutely full of it.

12. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just giving you a hard time. :) I do feel good about the direction that MLS is going. We have come a long way since the NASL.

I live in Seattle but I lived in LA and have been a Galaxy supporter since 96' There will always be a place in my heart for LA but I have root for Seattle once we get a team. :)

Cheers Mate!

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    MLS will not be one of the best leagues in the world until the quality of the American player improves.

14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

Derby, Fulham and 'Boro are only slightly better than the best MLS has to offer.
    Leiweke was address lower table, not the top teams in Prem.

I thought his comments were pretty fair.

15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely spot on.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I guess Leiweke has never heard of the Club World Cup...

Of course getting there actually involves winning something.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leiweke is the president of a billion dollar company. Lallas is a hairband guitar player pretending to be a GM. Big difference.

Sure we are a ways from a time when the Galaxy can take on Chelsea, but we are getting there.

18. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    i guess, but the difference between fulham and boro especially is that they have much more depth than any mls team.

19. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mbar - good comment above.

And this is just more laying the groundwork for expansion of DP slots for LA.

20. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana

Your speaking in tongues. Look Liewecke for his rights and wrongs is a human. he loves the sport and at the same time has a boss who wants the sport to be successful.

He orchestrated.

The building of the Home Depot Center
    The development of SUM (which is making MLS money hand over fist)
    He orchestrated the purchase of World Cup rights in the US for the last two World Cups and made the league millions
    He brought over David Beckham.
    He designed the DP player slot which has turned out wonderfully this year.

Yes he has made some mistakes. But like I said before, his sucess' FAR outweighs the errors.

The nonsense you spew of him and lalas etc etc, is pure dribble.

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny, because about four years ago, an MLS executive (not n the same position now, but still associated with the league) said pretty much the same thing the guy you are criticizing said. And so did the other MLS employee on the conference call.

22. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana
    We werent having a discussion about the World's greatest fan contest. I am sure you are a MLS fan, and thats great.

But your a ignorantly bashing two people you know nothing about and you OBVIOUSLY make it clear you are unaware of what Tim Liewecke and AEG have done for this league, and thats ok, but I wont sit here and read your blatant nonsense based on no facts and a very narrow view of the situation, much like a horse with blinders on.

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he has done a lot. No doubt.

But also predicts wildly crazy things just to get his name and the league in the media. And they are sometimes counter to what the rest of ownership and the league wants to project.

He's a very savvy businessman, but he really should shut his mouth and let the things he does do the talking instead of trying to put the focus on what he will help accomplish seven years from now.

24. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana

OOOO OOOO I guess that makes him right? Look its baseless nonsense. If you want to agree with him go ahead, but he does nothing to back it up.

Typicla childish dribble on here. OO WAAA Lalas sucks WAaaa Liewecke sucks .. WAAAAAAAA.

I think Liewecke is going to sleep just fine tonight. You and Mbar can do a much better job of takinb over the soccer worl on World Championship Manager 2008.

25. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leiweke is still trying to sell his product, that is what mbar was trying to convey. Why do people like you get so defensive on bigsoccer anytime, anyone says anything that might interfere with your set way of thinking? Like it or not, mbar is right. That isn't to say that Leiweke's positive view of the future can't be seen. It just means that when billionaires extol the virtues of their product, it doesn't always mean that the vision will come to fruition.

Although I guess in your "good time lollipop" world, MLS will undoubtedly become a kingpin in world soccer in years to come. So we should just sit back and enjoy the ride.:rolleyes: