Leipzig greets New York! A new bull is born!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by RBL Mario, Jun 15, 2009.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the 5th to the 3rd division in 4 years? Well done!

2. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, considering the amount of money they were spending against mostly part-time teams. It was a surprise it didn't happen sooner.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind then.

Same old Metro/Red Bulls.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  4. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than a surprise, I think it's a good lesson about how difficult it is to get promoted out of the Regional Leagues and into the 3rd Liga. With the exception of the southwest division, only the first-place team goes up. Money alone won't do it - the team has to be gelled enough to be consistently strong for an entire season. I'm guessing they also won't be a promotion contender in the 3rd Liga for the first couple years.

5. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they will, assuming they get a license.

For those who don't know, the DFB is requiring RBL to change it's logo and change it's membership status (8 of the club's 11 members work for Red Bull).

6. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #82 RBL Mario, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    We did it! :laugh:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...r/news-story/58904a4b49d040836e26bcec096a68ff

goindownsouth, chungachanga and EvanJ repped this.
  7. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #83 RBL Mario, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    The fan march before the match:
    [​IMG]

The celebration on the lawn:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The illuminations in the city:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chungachanga and MetroChile repped this.
  8. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The celebration on the streets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Welcome bro!! I will now put Leipzig on my itinerary whenever I get to visit Germany!!

goindownsouth and RBL Mario repped this.
  10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Average attendance at 29.441, really impressive.

I also like the simple "RB Leipzig." Do they use full name ever (RedBull or Red Bulls or a German version)?

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I didn't even realize this thread was so old. I knew of the Leipzig team but that was it. In 5 years they have gone up 4 leagues. It is interesting run. Has any player been there for the 5 years and been part of the rise?

Also will this make Leipzig the only team from the former East Germany in the Bundesliga?

goindownsouth repped this.
  12. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #88 RBL Mario, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    In official texts (marketing, announcements etc.) they call themselves "Die Roten Bullen" ("The Red Bulls"), but the actual name is "RasenBallsport Leipzig" (LawnBallsport). We fans call our club just "RB" or "RBL".

It were actually 7 years, mainly because we got stuck 3 years in the 4th league. But yes, Benjamin Bellot was our substitute goalkeeper all the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Bellot (since summer 2015 he is our third goalkeeper and plays in our second team) Other notable players are defender Tim Sebastian (summer 2010 until January 2016, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Sebastian_(footballer)), striker and long-year captain Daniel Frahn (summer 2010 until summer 2015, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Frahn), and defender Fabian Franke (summer 2010 until summer 2015, the last year in the 2nd league without a game though, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabian_Franke).

Yes, and the first eastern club since 7 years, since Energie Cottbus` relegation from there in 2009 (if West-Berlin`s Hertha don`t count).

goindownsouth and chungachanga repped this.
  13. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Real Madrid, Chelsea London, FC Barcelona, Paris St. Germain, Arsenal London, Juventus Torino, Manchester City, Inter Milan, here we come! :laugh:

"Football: RB Leipzig claims automatic Champions League berth

BERLIN (AFP) - RB Leipzig capped off a superb first Bundesliga campaign by securing automatic qualification for next season s Champions League as Timo Werner scored twice in their 4-1 thrashing of Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

Leipzig, founded by energy drinks giants Red Bull in 2009, only reached Germany s top flight this season after four promotions in seven years.
    They lie second in the table and are certain to finish in the top three, which means a direct path into the Champions League group stage.

They are the first Bundesliga club since Kaiserslautern in 1998 to qualify directly for the Champions League immediately after winning promotion.

Germany striker Werner, 21, now has 19 league goals in a superb season.

He netted the opener on 12 minutes with a bullet header from a curling cross from midfielder Marcel Sabitzer.

A howler by Hertha goalkeeper Rune Jarstein, who slipped attempting a clearance, allowed Yussuf Poulsen to knock the ball across the empty Berlin goal for Werner s simple tap-in on 54 minutes that made it 2-0.

Hertha pulled a goal back when Leipzig s substitute midfielder Rani Khedira -- younger brother of World Cup winner Sami -- headed the ball into his own net on 85 minutes.

But Davie Selke, on for Poulsen, netted on 89 minutes and again in stoppage time to seal RB s victory. Hertha remain on course for a Europa League place in fifth."

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Sports/387168-Football-RB-Leipzig-claims-automatic-Champions-Le

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Woo! I saw their game a while back on TV, maybe I will watch more Bundesliga and support them in the CL. Good Stuff @RBLMario keep the updates coming

RBL Mario repped this.
  15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter Milan won't be in the 2017-2018 Champions League, and at least one of Arsenal and Manchester City will miss out also unless Liverpool collapses.

RBL Mario repped this.