Leipzig greets New York! A new bull is born!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by RBL Mario, Jun 15, 2009.

1. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hi Bulls from the other side of the atlantic, there are some good news which are surely interesting you! Red Bull decided to step in into the german football! And now, the formal obstacles are overcomed: In August, the new club "RB Leipzig" starts in the fifth german division "Northeast-South" into the adventure "Red Bulls attacking german Bundesliga!" All soccer-interested people here are in pleasant anticipation of that what now hopefully comes! I hope you wish us all the best, that now here in Leipzig, the nice half million city in east germany, is starting a new soccer wonder! :)

I think there`s no cause to don`t starting a fan-friendship between our two clubs! In our hearts we all are bulls! :cool:

Hope your boys can fastly get out of the bottom of the table, good luck for the next matches!

2. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
  3. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fifth Division, eh. It's a long way to the Bundesliga but with Red Bull backing, and no salary cap worries, I'm sure your team is on the way up. Viel Glück!

4. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    If Hoffenheim can do it, so can Leipzig!

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great...another "Red Bull" team to dilute our already barely existant identity as a football club. :(

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Looking it for another angle, if they bring up a good product, maybe will change the garbage image the world have about the NY/NJ Red Bulls...

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Congrats & welcome aboard.

8. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh the irony.

I support RBNY, I live in Leipzig, but I honestly doubt I'll ever support RB Leipzig. Nothing personal, but it's just kind of artificial (for lack of better word).

Whatever the case, I wish you good luck! For a city with 500,000+ people and one of the best football stadiums in Germany, Leipzig really deserves to have a team somewhere in the top 2 leagues. And neither FC Sachsen or LOK will ever get their sh!t together enough to do it themselves. Footballing culture in this city needs a kick in the butt, even if it's a highly caffeinated one.

9. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vielen Dank und ich wünsche euch viel Glück!
    Hoffentlich wird das Image unseres Klubs wegen des Erfolgs Leipzigs verbessert.
    :D

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an RB Leipzig jersey at some point either. I want to pick up all of the Red Bull jerseys at some point. Kind of a cool collection i think.

10. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly. The team in Leipzig isn't actually called 'Red Bull'.

11. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to follow this quite closely, as it's very interesting to me. Here is an interesting tidbit from the below linked article:

"According to reports in Germany, Red Bull plan to move the club from their current home, the 5,500 capacity Stadion am Bad, toCentral Stadium a few miles away from the 2010-11 season on. Central Stadium is an impressive venue built for the 2006 World Cup with a capacity of 45,000 but without a club that can currently come anywhere near to filling the stadium."

Talk about a complete change in the fortunes of this club!

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2009/06/16/red-bulls-global-brand-expands-rb-leipzig-launched/

12. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I would hope that even if you are not a true "supporter" of the team, you'd stop by for a game or two. This is not a game for the internet or television, even though those two venues are substitutes when you can't make it to the game.

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Is the current Red Bull Leipzig the team formerly known as Sachzen Leipzig?

14. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes thats right, it`s still the best to watch a team in the stadium, so what can better happen for a RBNY-expat than that another RB-club started in front of his entry door? :)

No, but two years ahead Red Bull wanted to assume this club. It`s failured, cause the many fans of Sachsen Leipzig (3000 spectators per match) protested very massive, and the german football association didn`t allowed the projected name "Red Bull Leipzig". Both problems Red Bull now had avoid, the official name of the club is "RasenBallsport Leipzig" (shortcut "RB Leipzig"), and the partner club (it wasn`t here a real absorption like Salzburg or New York) was the little periphery-club SSV Markranstädt, where 300 people normally are watching their matches, so almost nobody protested.

By the way, it seems that RB didn`t plan the very big million transfers now, one half of the new team will be recruiting from the squad of SSV Markranstädt, and the other half will be good fourth- and five-division-players from the region. It`s a good way I think! :eek:

Good luck for the match against Seattle. I`ve read that Sounders FC have now won just once in their last nine games - so now it`s the best chance for a victory! :)

15. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, truth be told I'm very intrigued by this "experiment" and will certainly go to some games (while I'm still in Leipzig which will probably won't be so much longer). The new "derbies" with FC Sachsen and Lok will be particularly interesting since there is absolutely no history between the teams.

I've really just got this big question of "where will the fans come from?" SSV Markranstädt only drew 200-300 people per game, and I don't see many people from Leipzig driving the 10+ km out to the stadium this season for a brand new team. If/when they do get promoted up to the higher leagues (1st-3rd level) and are playing in the main stadium inside the city then yeah, sure they will come. But in these first few years in the Oberliga, I just don't see it.

It's an experiment for German football, so it's hard to say what will happen. I can post my impressions here or in a blog in case it's interesting to other RBNY fans.

I live in Reudnitz - my front door is pretty far away from Markranstädt. :p

Come give me a ride sometime and I'll buy your first beer at the stadium.

I've also read that the team will have a partnership with Red Bull Salzburg, so that they will take on some of the youth players from Salzburg as well (good idea, IMO).

I wonder if there could be a similar partnership with RBNY - guys like Brunner, Babajide or Mbuta could spend some time with RB Leipzig rather than just being cut loose, playing a game or two in USL2, or simply riding pine.

16. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you do make it, let us know how they do.

17. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjKDNFUe-dk"]YouTube - kleine Ufta von Ochsenschwänzen[/ame]

Our little hardcore group, which is celebrating the 3-0 victory in the derby yesterday against Lok Leipzig, in front of 11.500 spectators (1000 RB-fans, 1500 neutrals, and 9000 Lok-fans :D). Still we`re only a few, but we`re growing with every match! :)

18. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome!!! I wish for the best for our brothers in Germany, hopefullly 1 day it will be 9000 RB fans, 1500 Neutrals and 1000 LOK fans ;):D

19. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    What I'm about to say is wishful thinking.....

I'm wondering if Red Bull's investment in the Bundesliga is a sign that they are done with their American experiment (the New York Red Bulls).

Perhaps Red Bull corporate has figured out that they cannot control their own destiny in MLS, and would rather own a team in a league in which they can spend any amount of money on player acquisitions.

Is the Leipzig team just the latest clue we can add to the rumors about the Red Bull corporation wanting to sell the New York Red Bulls (perhaps to Barcelona as was rumored?)?

20. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    come on, really? that's almost as farfetched as bigfoot, the lochness monster, or area 51.
    ugh, until there's confirmed news, can we either root for RBNY or not root for RBNY? none of this hey i'm gonna be a fan, but really a fan on the fence because i'm working up a conspiracy that proves RB is selling the team and when that happens THEN i'll be a 100% fan of the team, business? ;)

21. Journeyman

Journeyman Member

Jul 23, 2007
    New Jersey
    This is only a sign that Red Bull are continuing with their plan of expanding their sports/marketing footprint.

22. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

You're better off hoping the virgin mary will appear in a burnt piece of toast to give you secret clues.

Red Bull already "owns" four teams (Salzburg, NY, Leipzig, Sao Paolo), and I would bet that within the next five years they will also have a team somewhere in an AFC country (Japan, Korea, Australia, etc). They are enough of a financial juggernaut to handle them all.

I was also at the game with a couple friends, sitting in the same sector (B) as you guys, but quite a bit higher up. But I have you say that you guys did a great job throughout the game! I was also at the RB home opener at the Stadion am Bad in August against Zwickau and the atmosphere coming from the RB fans is already a night & day difference.

Here's a video one of my friends took - you can get an idea of where we were sitting. Not bad for a €6 ticket in a World Cup stadium. :cool: If I remember correctly this goal might have been called offisdes.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li-xuaBusQ8"]YouTube - RBL - Lok[/ame]

The game itself was a good one, especially considering that we're talking the 5th level Oberliga here in Germany. You could see the clear difference in class between the two teams. Red Bull was clearly more organized, had crisper passing, better possession, all of it. And the final goal by Patrick Bick was an absolute beauty to see - its the third goal in this video. As sad as it is, they would honestly be a tough match for NYRB from the way they were playing earlier in the season under Osorio (although that would be different now with Richie in charge).

In general, the addition of RB to Leipzig's footballing landscape plus the fact that the two other local rivals are in the same division for the first time in more than a decade has been a massive boost to the fan interest for football in Leipzig. Since all three teams are in the same division, there are 6 league derbies this season (not counting regional cup games), with the first two having drawn 15k and 10k. Again, for the 5th level in Germany which usually sees crowds of a few hundred to maybe 2-3000, that is phenomenal. If the clubs end up scheduling the remaining four derbies in the big Zentralstadion, I could envision the ones in the spring pushing 20k attendance.

23. RBL Mario

RBL Mario Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Leipzig
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hello over there! Thought I keep you a little bit in the loop about us furthermore! Today we could celebrate a 2-0-win against FC Sachsen in the third Leipzig-derby, in front of more than 6000 spectators and great atmosphere on both sides! A great finish of the seasons first round, now we have a lead over of 7 points! Here are some impressions of the match from the enemy`s perspective:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOxs38HIzI"]YouTube- Oberliga Süd, RB "Leipzig" vs. Chemie Leipzig, 06.12.2009, Endstand 2:0[/ame]

24. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the win. Sounds like it was a good day.

25. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Any talented prospects for transfer to NY or Salzburg?