Leicester vs Arsenal (EPL) 9 Nov 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Nov 7, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When the announcers agree that the Leicester program is the better option to Arsenal you can't ignore the ship is sinking. A generation ago Arsenal was part of a Big 3. Now they're the weakest of the Big 6.

2. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Emery and Ozil out

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The complete lack or urgency down 2-0 tells me that 1) the players have no idea what the ******** they're supposed to be doing and 2) that they are completely checked out.

I don't know how anyone could watch Arsenal since the October international break and come to any conclusion other than "Emery needs to be fired."

Fifty and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL, if Emery would have won this game, it would have "saved" his job, someone said. As if the complete and utter collapse last year could be ignored, as if being out of sight for 4th place is quickly upon us this year. Why didn't they fire him before this game?? Are they gonna wait till the complete season is lost and not redeemable.?

ArsenalMetro and Super Llama repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, this was such a nice quiet match day thread until about 20 mins ago. :p

6. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Leicester can find a Jamie Vardy successor then they're in very good shape. If they manage this correctly he could be their Ian Wright.

Serengeti_Boy and Super Llama repped this.
  7. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The team looks like they have no understanding of the shape they should be in with a back 3. We've been played off the pitch today and it was predictable. Arsenal have so much work ahead to make this a top team again but right now we have to be honest and say the only thing putting us ahead of teams like Leicester in terms of stature is that we're in London and we have some history of success. Otherwise we're now a mid-table club

total_football repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And right on cue, my MD thread duties come to an end. Someone else will have nearly 2 weeks before they have to step up. Don't be shy now.

9. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000
    If they keep him until May the club could finish in the lower half of the table. That would be the worst finish since the mid-70s.

10. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    First goal is basic team defence, the ball comes out and the whole team sits deep in their own box. The players have no idea what they are supposed to be doing.

Laca was terrible today, held the ball up far far too long.

Emery's inability to coach a system is doing him in, we have played three or four that could work, or be successful with and he just refuses to weaponize them. He is worse than the Tinkerman.

Fifty repped this.
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The good: Apart from a 20 min spell Arsenal seemed capable and at least as potent as any point in the past month. Leno looked good and at least Hector and Rob are getting back into game shape. Ozil wasn't too bad today until the game escaped Arsenal.

The bad: The defense has its woes but that was expected, hence a -1 goal differential through 12 matches. But the end product on offense remains abysmal considering that's supposed to be the side's strength. 1.4 per match won't get them into the top 4, let alone challenging for trophies.

The ugly: The volume of unforced errors in the transition game were costly and indicative of a lack of poise and suggests they didn't prepare for Leicester's press, which was a telling sign for me. Especially the whole dribbling-into-pressure, thing. A lot to moments where Arsenal looked decidedly like the meeker program.

Super Llama repped this.
  12. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lost 2-0, no subs until the 76th minute and only used 2/3. Arsenal are a mid table, europa league team. It all started when they waited too long to let go on Wenger. All their money for the upcoming summer was spent last summer and there is no CL money coming. I fully expect an "The board have full faith in Emery and want him to see out the season" thing in the morning.The end of last season has just continued into this season and it doesn't seem to matter. The ship isn't sinking, it has sunk.

Fifty and Super Llama repped this.
  13. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I don't get the whole senior players starting after coming off injuries in place of on form youth. Would have started Martinelli.

Emery killed us. Two goals came off having a thin midfield.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. That was one of my main complaints about today... subbing too late, especially leaving Laca on there for 90. And why not Tierney for Kola who did virtually zero on offense.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  15. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsenal turned off their post-game live chat, think we probably know why

16. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the very least, Martinelli would have been active.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually we finished 12th in 1995, but that was a bit of a blip. We certainly were even worse in the mid-70's. I should know... I was there. We came close to relegation.

The way the last month or so has been, I wouldn't be too shocked to see us finish 8th-12th. But not 17th! And certainly not relegated!! But it's now looking like we might out do ManUre's crappy recent seasons. Oy vay.

18. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best case scenario tomorrow is Arsenal are 8 points behind 4th place City and 10 points above very last place Norwich.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  19. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal had 1 shot on target, in the 20th minute. In a must win game. Arsenal are also a -1 gd now. Emery had done fantastic shoring up the defense

Fifty and GunnerJacket repped this.
  20. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sacked in the morning, he is getting sacked in the morning

21. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly Emery wants the ball played out of the back, and we keep trying but we arent capable of doing it and it is suicidal. Also, David Luiz doesnt appear to be the answer to problems in the back.
    There isnt a dominant box to box midfielder, to spring the transition quickly or just be a real presence in the center of the field.
    I dont think the talent was less for Arsenal than it was for LC. So it really just comes down to systems, managers, and tactics. LC looked way better, but the talent level isnt vastly different. Its Emery.

Fifty, Walia Ibex and Super Llama repped this.
  22. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #72 footykid, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Confidence and a plan go a long way in team sports.

Laca missed essentially the same chance Vardy scored.

23. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    In the fullness of time it may be that I make a negative adjustment in my evaluation of various players in the current squad. But not today, not now. Right now, I can't look past the manager to assign any significant amount of blame to anybody else.

24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I missed the game. Seems like I should be glad.

emery out.

25. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Im not mad, I am just disappointed.