Left-Footed Players - Name Them

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Gregoriak, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Alan Kennedy (1970s/80s international English left back for Newcastle United and Liverpool FC).

2. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Georges Bereta (French international left winger of the 1960s and 1970s playing for AS St.-Etienne and Olympique de Marseille).

3. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    "Dani" Daniel Ruiz (Spanish international winger of the 1970s and 80s playing for Athletic Bilbao).
    Julio Cardenosa (Spanish international midfielder of the 1970s and 80s playing for Betis Sevilla and Valladolid).
    Ruben Cano (Spanish forward of the 1970s and 80s playing for Atlanta, Elche, Atletico, Teneriffa and Vallecano).
    Claudio Sala (Italian midfielder of the 1970s and 80s playing for Torino).

4. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Are you sure about Dani?
    I have him playing as Right Winger

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    nothing wrong with that .. Robben, Messi were al leftfoot and playing great on right wing, while Cruyff/ronaldinho (right footer) played mostly on the left

There are two scenarios:
    1- If you need a Scroing FW: a left footer should play on right while Right footer on the left (so they can shoot )
    2- If you want a "creative FW" to make crossing or space then traditional leftfooter on left and rightfooter on right

6. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    No 100% certainty. Dani did take corners from the right corner flag with his left foot - usually a clear hint that a player prefers his left foot - but he might be very good with both feet.

As James pointed out he could be a right winger with a left foot.

7. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Archie Gemmill (Scottish international midfielder of the 1970s and 80s for Derby county, Nottingham City, Birmingham City and several other clubs).

8. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Marco Antonio Feliciano (Brazilian international left back of the 1970s and 80s who played for Fluminense and Vasco da Gama among other clubs).

9. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Marco Antonio Feliciano (Brazilian international left back of the 1970s and 80s who played for Fluminense and Vasco da Gama among other clubs).

10. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Jozef Kopicera (Polish international left winger and midfielder of the 1970s and 80s mostly known playing for Ruch Chorzow)

11. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Hans Siemensmeyer (German international midfielder of the 1960s and 70s playing for RW Oberhausen and Hannover 96).

12. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Jørgen Kristensen (Danish international left winger who played in the 1960s to 1980s for various clubs among them Sparta and Feyenoord Rotterdam, Hertha BSC and NASL franchises).

13. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Enrique Collar (Spanish international outside left of the 1950s and 1960s who played for Atletico Madrid between 1952 and 1969).

14. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Hans Schäfer (German international left winger and inside left who played for Köln from the late-1940s to mid-1960s).

15. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Cyril Knowles (English international left back of the 1960s and 1970s who played for Middlesbrough and Tottenham Hotspur)

16. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Gordon Hill (English international left-sided forward and midfielder of the 1970s and 80s who played for a variety of clubs most notably Manchester United).

17. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Bobby Langton (English international outside left who played from the late-1930s to the mid-1950s for Blackburn, Preston North End and Bolton Wanderers).

Robert Gadocha (Polish international left winger who played from the mid-1960s to the early-1980s for Legia Warsaw, FC Nantes and Chicago Stings among other clubs).

18. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Willie Cunningham (Scottish international right back of the mid-1940s to early-1960s who played most prominently for Preston North End)

George Lee (English outside left who played from the mid-1930s to late-1950s for York City, Nottingham Forest and West Bromwich Albion)

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'd not heard of George Lee! But a Forest player I can add (don't think I mentioned him yet) would be Billy Gray. Pretty sure he was left footed - he used it to assist a goal in the 1959 FA Cup Final and seems to favour playing the ball on that side, even if he often played right winger before converting to inside left.

20. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Bora Kostic
    Drago Vabec
    René Gardien
    Jean Grumellon
    Edmond Haan
    Francis Méano
    Georges Moreel
    Vilmos "Willy" Kohut
    Istvan Nyers
    Jacky Faivre
    Paul Sauvage
    Cyril Rool

21. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Taye TAÏWO

22. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Richard Hofmann (German international center forward mostly playing for Dresdner SC between 1927 and 1947).

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Gadocha may live on the left coast (of Florida) but he surely looks like a right footed player.

24. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Thanks for posting this collection. Indeed it looks as if he was predominantly using his right foot. I based my observations on a 1969-70 European Cup game between Legia and AS St. Etienne, where it looked as if he was using his left foot most of the time. Then I guess he was right-footed with a very good left foot.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I remember his crosses vs. England'73 and vs. everyone in the 1974 WC - in-swingers from the left and out-swingers from the right and always with the right.

In fact, that corner that Daniel Carnivali fumbled and Gregorz Lato put in almost right from the start was one of my childhood soccer memories. That Poland-Argentina match was also notable - at least, to my very impressionable mind - due to "El Raton" Ayala hair. In my neck of the woods, that type of a do was not permitted.

BTW, getting back to the lefties - on that Argentina squad, I am pretty sure Rene Houseman was one. I don't recall if his name was mentioned previously in this thread.