Left Back Depth Chart

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Sep 3, 2019.

1. UncagedGorilla

Sep 22, 2009
    Tulsa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Thanks for the list of intriguing young prospects. Are any of them Camp Cupcake worthy as of now in your opinion? I don't watch a lot of MLS other than big games plus FC Dallas who I get locally.

CCV at LB is a bad idea for me. That game against Man City he did not look very good. He is another Tim Ream without the benefit of being left-footed. I'm a fan of CCV's game and personally think he and Ream should both be more highly rated in our CB pool than they seem to be but I don't like either of them as a LB.

As for Lichaj, right now we don't have a good answer at LB. WCQ starts in basically one year when he will be 31. I agree that he could have helped quite a bit in the last WCQ'ing cycle (does anyone really think he isn't better than both Zusi and Villafana?) and the GC (same with Ream and Lovitz). However, what if we draw Mexico home and Costa Rica away the first two games like we did last time? I'd personally feel a lot better about taking Lichaj to the Saprissa or to Columbus to defend Lozano at LB than anyone else in our pool. I hope someone passes him up by 2022 because I don't like the idea of a 33-year-old LB but we have to get there first. I'd be shocked and disappointed in many guys if he's our LB in 2022 but in 2020, it's plausible. As I've said, my money is on Gloster to be the starting LB in 2022 and if he starts getting time at PSV, the future may become the present.

This isn't directed at you but a lot of times I think the national team is viewed like career builder mode on football manager. We need to be looking for the best guys at the present moment while taking steps to make sure the young, very promising guys like Dest are being incorporated until such time as they are the best. That's why I think a Lichaj/Robinson LB pairing is optimal at the present time and a Yedlin/Dest RB pairing.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would go with Gasper and Hollingshead for the Camp Cupcake LBs. The others can go with the U23s.

3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Glad to see Dest get the starts against Mexico and Uruguay. It is clear that he is our top fullback prospect. He is probably better on the right side but the need is greater on the left.

He is obviously not the finished product. But we should keep giving him most of the starts at left back.

I was a little disappointed that Lima did not get some playing time at left back. Hopefully in the next round of matches.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would say that Dest is either RB or LB prospect.

Chris Gloster (NYRB academy product), who recently moved to PSV, played just as well as Dest at the u20 World Cup. He's more of a natural LB. I put him neck and neck with Dest, but he hasn't made his first team club debut yet. When he does, I think folks are going to start really being high on him.

Also George Bello of Atlanta is a beast. BEAST. Was out injured for a while, but was back with USYNTs this week.

Winoman and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  5. UncagedGorilla

Sep 22, 2009
    Tulsa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Agreed. I think either Gloster or Robinson will be our LB in 2022. Dest will very likely be our RB but I'm not as down on Yedlin as most seem to be. Let's see what he does this year.

That being said, I do not think Dest is our best LB right now nor do I think he fits the system particularly well. We need a better pure defender. I loved he and Ream's ability to work the ball around on the left side but despite what Egg thinks, we aren't going to have 80% possession any time soon. I think Dest is more natural and a better, but still not great, defender on the right side. He can do what Lima did when he came on last night but better.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Perhaps Dest can play in midfield.