Lee Chung-yong @ Crystal Palace FC 2016/17 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by wetcrispy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    It’s sad that that’s basically a wash

2. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wonder if Hodgson spoke in Korean with STY.

As much as I respect Hodgson and LCY, keep in mind that the former is received all sorts of criticism during his England gig.

3. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Hodgson more or less is the main reason why LCY can't go to the WC (as he had forbidden a move to Bolton). LCY must be quite angry about that.

4. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
  5. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    What’s with the constant lack of accountability and willingness to pin issues on other thiimgs. It’s petty and does you no real favors.

LCY was offered many times to come back home and play and he rejected that idea to play in the colas and as a backup to pursue his dreams. His own decisions have everything to do with where hes at right now.

Stop the blame game.

6. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    but would anyone...would you? not sure that i could either. hindsight's always 20/20

7. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    That’s my point really. Those are the cards dealt. You can’t go around looking for something to blame to make yourself feel better about it

nmssis repped this.
  8. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    played 5 minutes

seolseol repped this.
  9. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Of course giving Chungy more playing time meant 5 minutes.

Shin Tae-yong: "Hey Hodgson, it will be great if you could give Lee more playing time."

Hodgson: "No problem man."

*Gives Chungy 5 minutes*

Hodgson: "Better than nothing." ;)

10. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I got a feeling that LCY will get into the WC squad and will become this years' '14 PCY. As long as he doesn't play more than 20mins per game, I'm fine with that.

chook90 and seolseol repped this.
  11. mk27

mk27 Member

Feb 24, 2008
    What do you reckon Lee's career wouldve been like had he not had that freak incident?

I was just rewatching some of his playing days at Bolton and he had excellent speed and dribbling.

I remember liking that Bolton team during those days too. I remember Kevin Davies was a really genuinely nice guy and having Lee in the sqaud actually improved his game.

Do you think Lee wouldve made it to a big team?

12. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i hate u :cry::cry::cry::cry:

JoeKamel repped this.
  13. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LCY for all the pace and dribbling he had pre-injury, he would have been a nice player but not a world class-type. His trajectory would have been similar to Ki's, except Ki had the additional step of going to Celtic.

14. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I disagree - LCY not only had great technical skill and speed, but always had a pass on him and good anticipation, so he was just as sharp w possession as he was in efforts to regain it (eg Argentina 2010).

Honestly, Bolton's capitulation was similar to that of Lee's career. Bolton lost Muamba, Holden, Chungy, and Cahill (iirc) all around similar times. It's almost no wonder they got relegated - and Owen Coyle got sacked. Had that team stuck around along w Lee, I would have remained silently optimistic that Lee would have joined a top tier team, at least one playing in European competitions.

The ultimate what-could-have-been in Korean football in my book. Beyond PJY and LCS. Certainly expected him to achieve greater heights than KSY...

15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This discussion again. Of course the injury fcked things up! But is he the only one getting that injury? No. Did the other players go down the same path?

nmssis repped this.
  16. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Would you say that there were any other KPAs that had a similar path of promise like that of LCY's??

17. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    PCY, although a key diff being that he had already established and sustained mainstream success in a major european league. it was his greed and poor decision making that did him in rather than injury. his destruction was self inflicted...

I think people tend to forget bc he is so irrelevant now and was so irrelevant in the 2014 WC, but he was a true generational talent...

TaegukWarrior repped this.
  18. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't even know if we can call it greed per se. Every professional footballer's dream is to play for a big club, and he took the opportunity to do so. It's not like he even got a proper chance to prove himself. Personally, I'd choose Clayton Utz over any other smaller Australian law firm because I'm confident of my ability & want to prove myself at the highest level. I'd say PJY did what any other person would so I really don't blame him. Just unfortunate how it all panned out.

19. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No I would not I guess. He was great.

20. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I hate this belief and how it continues to regurgitate here in BSK. He had his chance. It's called daily training. Wenger obviously did not deem Park Ju Young to be good enough during training that it didn't warrant much playing time.

Park had his opportunity. He was probably constantly overwhelmed. Why would Wenger not play him if he thought Park could help him? And not like Park was some hotshot 18 year old prospect that needed minutes.

And before any of you say "to spite Lyon", stop it.

sac517, TaegukRedDevil and zdrstvte repped this.
  21. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    This. So many people overlook that the teams aren't just chosen on previous results, but also from team training. It wasn't Wenger's fault that Park was thoroughly unimpressive whenever he was given a chance to play apart from that Bolton match.

sac517, toohyper and nmssis repped this.
  22. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Wenger also gave him a start in the next CL match after the Bolton match and PJY bombed...

23. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I remember in a cup game against Chelsea around late 2013, PJY was subbed in for Ramsey. Wenger said was PJY subbed in because he was doing well in training during that time. If PJY trained like he did before that cup game, he might've gotten many chances. But he just didn't impress during training for almost all the months he was at Arsenal.

toohyper repped this.
  24. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And I'm sure Wenger in his mind, thought PJY just didn't have the talent to be a good starting or even backup option during all those trainings. Whether it's fair point or not, Wenger has to decide which players will give him the best chance to win, as well as developing youngsters.

This whole "Arsenal bought PCY and benched him to spite Lille" was/is the most stupid thing that was spread around here for good 2-3 years. 1) No football club is that unprofessional, especially someone like Wenger? Please 2) You know what would have really embarrass Lille? PCY playing and doing well for Arsenal, knowing Lille missed out on a fantastic footballer

BSK can be as bad as r/politics from Reddit (And I'm left-leaning politically but my god, the effin circle-jerk that goes around in r/politics)

Ice cube, TaegukRedDevil and sac517 repped this.