Lee Chung-yong @ Crystal Palace FC 2016/17 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by wetcrispy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
  2. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    fcuk crystal palace and roy hodgson.

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Should have put in a transfer request. Smh..

4. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Maybe they can work out a loan agreement

5. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Well, gg. No more WC for LCY.

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There’s no obligation from crystal palace to move him if he did. They had him moved but decided not to follow through.

The extended loan window post transfer window does not exist any more. He’s stuck unless they cancelled his contract.

7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  8. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  9. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
  10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Bolton's manager said that everything had been ready to go except for sign off

seolseol repped this.
  11. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That sucks. What a welcome "home" he would have received.

seolseol and nmssis repped this.
  12. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    what the ********?! why?

13. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    cause life is full of peaks and valleys....more valleys for LCY it seems

14. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I know LCY isn't getting much playing time but I don't think moving to Bolton would have made a huge difference.

I can't really see LCY playing more than 3 years from now. To me, his career is definitely in the advanced latter staged.

krnxsnoopy and killaorca repped this.
  15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

Jun 11, 2013
    It's near the end. Should go to MLS, play a couple seasons for the LA Galaxy, and retire.

16. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Why though? He has nothing to gain in the US. Might as well go back to FC Seoul and help develop the domestic game.

Angel Bear, Seol Korea, Hodori and 4 others repped this.
  17. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's a choice of $$$ vs. unselfishness.

I don't know why so many of you were wanting him to go to Bolton. I probably would have prefer that as well and yes, he would be getting more playing time for relegation-zoned Championship squad, but him playing more isn't going to make any difference for our National Team. And if you just want him to finish on a high note, playing for a Championship squad that has a decent chance of getting relegated isn't exactly that either.

TaegukRedDevil and 12th Player repped this.
  18. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Playing at any level will give him a chance to earn a contract somewhere in Europe. When a manager doesn't use you despite having two subs to use on a mediocre team, any potential club for LCY will probably look to alternatives.

his KNT role was over long ago but that doesn't mean he cant be a hero to a struggling Bolton side, help open doors for other Korean footballers by hopefully playing well there or some other lower tier, and extend his career in general vs. having his skills rot for too long.

chook90 repped this.
  19. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

20. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    MLS pays well? You sure about that? He sure as hell ain't going as a DP.

chook90 and killaorca repped this.
  21. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't know man. I don't follow the MLS enough to know.

I already watch the K-League. I do not need two subpar football leagues to follow.

22. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #522 toohyper, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    How long do you expect LCY to continue to play? Honestly, it might just be me but his European career is nearing its end and his playing career in general. Him playing at bottom-tier Championship squad isn't going to open doors for other Korean footballers. And if he does, he's opening up doors for Championship/League 1 sides and those type of players aren't really going to be sniffing the KNT (KBK is the exception but Cardiff had money and got promoted).

LCY has very little left in his tank. That injury pretty much cut his football career in half and he's got zero pace and explosiveness left in him, at least last time I watched him play.

23. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't think LCY is PL caliber based on what I've seen but I'd hardly put him into out to pasture. His problem with PL is that pre-break his pace offset his lack of physicality but with his speed down, he's having a problem getting room to assert his still good technical skills. He's not like PJS where his knees have given out. LCY is still similar to the way he was when he was with Bolton in Championship health wise.

There are tons of leagues where if LCY were willing to go to a non-english speaking country, I think that his overall ability would be good and can enjoy an extension to his European career, and at the same time help reestablish links to Eredivisie say or any other league that's better than the Austrian league which is already buying Korean players because thats the best they can do.

24. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    For all of you saying LCY's KNT career is over, what are we going to do if either KCH or LJS or both become injured before or during the world cup? We're so thin on positions that it will need to be LCY and JDW providing cover in these two wing positions or we can't even play the 442 properly.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  25. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You have ji on left and koo on right as cover. We're four years on from LCY struggling at the WC last time.

EDIT. btw, I dont like Koo on the right but if we are heading towards no position for Koo... I'd rather have him on right than not on pitch.

Also let's be honest, we are so thin talent wise, if we have that kinda drain on that both our wingers are down, our WC is over anyway.