Lee Chung-Yong @ Bolton 2011-2012 [R] Part 2

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Sergei Mantis, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  2. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Did people not watch this? it was a pretty awesome special with great clips. It was aired a day before Lee Chung Yong's injury I think.

3. bekele

bekele Member

Aug 23, 2009
    France
    Club:
    Daejeon Citizen
    ...and they've kept on reairing it every night since he's been injured on SBS ESPN. Couldn't bring myself to watch it..

4. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That's a great pic. Right click save.

I feel so sad for LCY. I almost can't believe this is really happening.

With LCY missing the 2014 WCQ, do you guys think KNT will have a more difficult time than usual?

5. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The Away games will be a pain in the butt, but other than that, I can't find a reason that we won't cruise to the next stage. 3 games in West Asia are not fun... Yuckity yucks. But I was happy to hear we got the lowest ranked in the pots. :)

6. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Without a doubt he's our best option on the right and despite a very good WC he hasn't played well for the NT after the WC.

It'll be a good opportunity for someone to step up and fill the gap until LCY returns but if we can find a solid #2 during that time then it'll only help us come Brazil. As far as qualifying, you don't have any doubts do you?

7. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah if LCY is the difference between us advancing to the next stage of qualifiers or not, we have serious problems. :eek:

8. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has managed to build a name for himself though and theres a lot to be said for mere presence on a pitch when you have a reputation. Nam wont carry the same weight but hopefully he steps up.

9. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I thought Nam was left-sided, and that's when he even plays out wide? Perhaps LCY's absence will save Cho Young-Chul from FB purgatory.

10. KwonchesterUtd

Aug 10, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Is Nam really the only backup for LCY?

I think it's fine though. As long as CDR gets space to run... maybe he can take the place and we can try to find a future FB.

11. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I thought against Ghana he played on the right? Nam's cross to JDW that led to KJC goal was from the right side, so I'm just basing my opinion on that. I could be wrong.

12. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not so much doubts about qualifying for the next round, but making sure KNT puts themselves in the most favorable seed possible for the group draw in the next round.

13. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    I'd like to think we're deeper than that. So far, we're doing alright without our best player, PJS.

From Sky's interview I got the firm impression he is accustomed to playing centrally. I realize CKR played him out wide or at least the cross came from out wide (vs. Ghana?) the few times he's played recently.

14. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    according to Cho, ji dw, lee kh and nam are the primary backups for right wing now.

15. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Guess not, lol.

And that's a pretty strong list of backup I'd say. I think they would provide less natural width but would cut in a lot more and take shots compared to LCY. Cha would also have lots of space to run, since he loves running. But I wonder if those guys will track back as much as LCY does.

16. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Lol... DeNiro and the drawing of the boy are both flicking the v-sign...

As for who should play in LCY's position, it should be Cho Young Chul imo. The position is tailor made for him. If he struggles, then we should consider other options.

17. ChaBoomer

ChaBoomer Member

Oct 27, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We got a good list of players there. I can't escape the thought that LCY might make a great RB. NTH on the wing and LCY as a back - could solve our problem of crowded wingers and a lack of RB.

18. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yo.... that's like playing PJY as CB. LCY has decent work rate down the wings but thats about it. He can't tackle, mark, defend 1v1...... He'd be terrible. The same way I think Cho Young Cheol is terrible as a fullback. We shouldn't just play anyone who can cross as a wingback.

19. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what in the world? there is no way a player of Lee'soffensive caliber is going to be wasted in the back. Nam has a better chance of playing RB than Lee lol and thats almost next to nil.

Lees backtracking has improved no doubt but he is in no way fit to play defense competently.

20. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Well, I guess it depends on the formation and tactics being used by the KNT... If we start using a 3 back system, I can see him as a quasi RWB like what the Chileans use. That would allow us to play with two strikers up top.

But w/o a true libero, I'd much rather avoid the 3 back system. And in that case, I wouldn't want to see LCY as a conventional RB...

21. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We do certainly need to find a RB soon but LCY is DEFINITELY better as a winger.
    You know I've wondered why CKR never calls up shin kwang hoon. Never seen him play before but he's got to be better that CYC no?

22. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    No... Cho Young Chul is a great player imo. I want him as LCY's backup in WC14. He might not be having the best season right now, but he's still class.

And I feel that he fits into CKR's system even better than LCY at times.

23. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    he's a great player, I agree. He's probably the best to replace LCY, but in the Honduras match I didn't like him too much as a right back.

24. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    But that's b/c he's not a right back... I have no clue what CKR was thinking. SMH... :rolleyes: