Lebanon!

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Bill Archer, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the night wore on, the 10,000 demonstartors outside the Paliament grew to 20,000 then 50,000 all in defiance of massive army and police roadblocks and a government ban on political gatherings.

At last count the crowd has grown to over 250,000 and the flow has become a flood. Freedom is breaking out in the Middle East, as people stand up and refuse to be slaves any longer, even at risk of their lives.

As the American left sits around cursing George Bush and simmering in their own hate, the one thing that liberals used to be about - Democracy and the equality of man - is celebrating a new dawn. Without them.

I'm not wasting any more time on them - as Bob Dylan once wrote: "The old world is rapidly changing; better get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand"

2. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may sound silly, especially as I am sitting here on the sidelines in the US.

But I have not felt this way since 1989.

3. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Bill, I understand why you feel that way...but you know, I just can't help myself by rubbing their faces in it over there...it's just SOOOOO satisfying...

So, lefties how does it feel to be in a "serious moral-ideological-emotional bind."

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171972

Another Iraqi Domino Falls? Elections in Egypt...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171968

The Syrians are feelin' the heat...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172058

and, on the economic front...

So sorry lefty doomsayers...2004 economy finishes on strong note

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171570

4. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Re: Lebanon! Just In

The entire pro-Syrian Lebanese government has resigned.

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I keep asking for these things and don't get them, but I've got to ask anyway:

First I asked for any evidence from a hard news report that demonstarted this fabled "right-wing bias" at Fox News. I'm still waiting.

Then I asked for one solitary thing that the Swift Boat Veterans were "proven to be lying" about. I got nothing.

So maybe this time, in honor of Mssr. Keller's post above, I'll get an answer to the question:

Please name for me ONE THING that the left has been right about since the day the twin towers went down.

France is completely on board with us against Syria in Lebanon (it doesn't help that Hariri was a close freind of Chirac's). They have joined us in our public demands and are actually leading the way in the Security COuncil today.

SO much for "destroying" any possible relationship with our "great ally" (cough choke). Chirac is only too happy to be on the same side as George Bush at the moment. Even he can see which way the wind is blowing. Unlike the idiots on the American left.

And I know exactly what you mean about 1989 - I've been totally hyped all morning as the reports keep coming in. Lebanon has suffered incredibly, and Baby Assad is going to have to slaughter an awful lot of people to put this genie back in the bottle.

Your day is over. Time to go. One more foul bastard headed for the junkheap of history.

6. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano

Obviously a pro-liberal forum (NSR>Politics...) or should I say more like a support group for the depressed. Personally I've realized that you cannot talk reality/logic to these guys, so I stay away from that forum in order to keep my own sanity.

Have fun.

7. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Re: Lebanon! Just In

Interesting. Of course this had nothing to do with Bush telling them to get out of Lebanon. Kind of like if Mike Tyson came up to you and says, "that's my seat you're sitting in". Do you give it up?

8. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    "Do you mind if we danced with your dates?"

More stuff from Beirut here and here.

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    ???? Did you check all of the links I put on that thread? There were certainly lies being told (or "misremebered events that happened to have been false") on the part of the SBVs4T. When there are friggin' bullet holes on the sides of swift boats noted on official reports, you cannot claim that "there was no enemy fire."

For the record, I'm elated by this news regarding Lebanon. As far as free elections in Egypt, the news is encouraging, but I'll believe that there are free elections there when I see them and not a moment sooner.

I was in Vaclavske Namesti on the 10th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution, and it was perhaps the most inspiring event I've ever attended in my entire life. Contrary to what some of the right think, we on the left love liberty. And if liberty happens in Iraq, then I will be elated. That doesn't change the fact that our president never intended to be in the business of nation-building and did not take us to Iraq with that intent. Still, as a side-effect, unless the Iraqis decide to institute a form of government that oppresses women, I can't help but think that at least something undeniably positive and wonderful came out of this awful, terrible war.

10. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH

You should read the link from this thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172030

It states:

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
  12. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Actually, this is better than the quotas. From the same article:

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor deluded bojendyk. Having a bad day?

1) "He said she said" does not amount to this "total repudiation" I keep hearing about. Sorry.

2) We know the left USED TO "love liberty". We also know that any "liberty" that happens on George Bush's watch is "bad liberty"

3) Our President, who is in the process of freeing more people than Roosevelt ever did, took us to Iraq for a number of reasons. One of them was to establish a democratic government on the theory that democracies pose little threat to their neighbors. This is simply undeniable fact. I know this won't prevent you from denying it, but frankly, no one cares any more.

4) So essentially your position is that Bush just happened to get lucky and clumsily cause freedom to break out all over the world. Well, like Napoleon said better lucky than good.

5) I'd be curious what you think the term "neocon" means. Since your ilk uses the word as a mantra for working yourselves into a Tasmanian dervish frenzy of hatred, you might have forgotten that it has actual "meaning".

"Neocon" refers to a bunch of guys who have abandoned traditional conservative isolationist foreign policy, believeing that - now that the Cold War is over - America must indeed engage in the sort of "nation building" type deals conservatives always deplored in the past.

So the if the President is indeed a "neocon" then he is being EXACTLY consistent with his ideological and philosphical basis.

FURTHERMORE I fiond it hilarious that, when a President who you claimed was too stupid to live and too ideologically rigid to lead changes his opinions and outlooks based on events, as any intelligent person does, and then goes on to adapt a foreign policy much like the one his opponents had for decades, that his opponents then CRITICIZE HIM FOR IT.

It's breathtaking exploit in partisanship, and frankly borders on the absurd.

Unfortunately, the left blazed on past the "Absurd" off ramp months ago and are now racing toward "Oblivion"

14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About Egypt, I do agree that we should wait and see a little what happens next. However:

1. We should prehaps pressurre Mubarak to retire sometime soon.

2. We should try to convince Mubarak's son that he should be looking into investment banking jobs in France.

15. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Actually, I'm having a good day. Had a great swim (up to a mile these days) yesterday, and I just finished some leftover vegatarian soul food for lunch. If you think I'm a moonbat, you should google "Black Hebrews." Crazy though they may be, their vegan restaurants are so good that even you would like them.

It's a lot more than that. We're not talking about disputed accounts--we're talking about accounts made by people (some of whom weren't even present at the time of the events) 35 years after the fact that contradict with documentary evidence.

There is some truth to this, but the overwhelming majority of the left (meaning everyone minus Michael Moore and five or six others) supported actions in Afghanistan and in fact would like to have seen more troops and more funding directed over there.
    And you should be fair and admit that a lot of the right opposed Clinton's actions in Yugoslavia.

I'm sorry, but what?!? Where are you getting these numbers?

I would respond by saying that, even with all of the corruption factored in, Hussein was no longer a threat to any of his neighbors. Bush I got him by the balls. This is pretty well established. But a threat to his own people? Definitely.

When I think about it, actually, yes, that is what I think--there was certainly luck involved. But it's a little premature to say that freedom has broken out all over the world.

I agree with your definition. But your argument isn't with me, because I don't believe I've ever actually used the term myself.

Agreed. He did not run on this platform, of course, but I don't care either way about whether he betrayed the portion of his party that opposed nation-buiding, because as far as I know, he never made good on his vow to pull all Americans out of Yugoslavia, and I wanted those troops there.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Hottie alert.. see my avatar.

As PJ O'Rourke noticed: once the hotties get behind a movement, there's no stopping it.

Maybe that's why the Muslims keep their women veiled. If the hotties all got together for more freedom, it would destroy their hold on power.

Sachin

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GREAT post over at Captains' Blog.

Killer graf:

Many on the left have argued that Saddam had been effectively "contained" (some used the phrase "in his box") by UN sanctions, but ultimately Saddam had continued to defy UNSC resolutions -- 16 of them -- to disarm, stop committing genocide on his own people, and provide proof of the destruction of his WMD programs. Saddam refused to do any of this. His intransigence demonstrated the UN's inability to act in its own interest, and as we later found out, the UNSC states themselves helped Saddam undermine the containment they argued to continue. Saddam's continued grip on power showed the UN to be helpless to do anything to enforce its own resolutions.
    That provides part of the oft-asked question of Why Saddam and why not Iran/North Korea/Syria et al? This map provides the other part:

[​IMG]

Geographically and militarily, Iraq holds the key to Southwest Asia, and the Anglosphere leaders proved they can read maps even if their political opponents cannot. Iraq still had the region's most potent military, and after the necessary first strike against al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, all further operations in the Gulf region required neutralizing both Saddam and his army. His defiance provided all of the justification necessary for such a step, and the Anglosphere took it. They destroyed the region's best and most battle-tested military in less than three weeks, despite opposition predictions of desert quagmires and holy-war catastrophes. While the Iraqis themselves didn't welcome us with flowers and chocolates -- a product of our 1991 betrayal -- they proved less than two years later that they wanted to choose their own leaders by braving bombs and bullets to vote in surprisingly large numbers

Like Glenn says: read the whole thing

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, so now you are on a first name pbasis with Professor Reynolds. Like my wife the other night was talking about "Dave" and it took me about a minute to realize she was talking about Letterman.

19. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Slideshow Here.

I pity this soldier:

[​IMG]

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a great photo.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great:

First, a picture of the celebration when it was announced that the Syrian lapdog puppet government was resigning:

[​IMG]

David Satterfield, Condi Rice's #2 in Southwest Asia, was dispatched to Beirut to meet with government officials to stress that the US (with, not coincidentally, 150,000 of the best soldiers in the world 100 miles away) will not tolerate continued Syrian occupation of Lebanon.

Here is the totally spontaneous outpouring of Syrain outrage:

[​IMG]

1) Do these women have any idea what these signs say?

2) Are we supposed to believe that these women did these up at home with india ink?

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look!

Here's another totally spontaneous demonstration, this one expressing outrage over the resignation of the puppet-weasel in the picture. AP reports as many as "50 demonstrators" blocked the street in front of Weaselman's office.

[​IMG]

Then there's part of the crowd estimated at 250,000 chanting "Syria out!"

[​IMG]

I just don't think the Syrians are getting the hang of this mass demonstration deal.

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American left should be ashamed. Unfortunately, they have no such capacity any more.

[​IMG]

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Hmmmm. Let's see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would venture to guess the one on top is doing more to change her country for the better than the one on the bottom.