Leagues Cup [R]

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 24, 2019.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Galaxy : Club Tijuana - MARTINEZ (HON) [VAR: ANZURES (MEX)]
    Chicago : Cruz Azul : NATION (JAM) [VAR: KELLY (USA)]

Given the available highlights, there was a bizarre situation in the LA-Tijuana match. The incident in question is at 2:06 below:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...a-galaxy-vs-club-tijuana/details/video/204980

There is a foul outside the penalty area by a Galaxy defender. Given what the commentators say, Martinez cautions a Galaxy player, Tchilao, for a previous offence that he must have played advantage on. Given the optics, it is impossible that this is a case of mistaken identity, since Tchilao is yards away from the foul called and in the opposite direction. All this occurs around 89:30 on the game clock. He is then called to take an OFR around 90:32, more than a minute later as the DFK is about to be executed. He then comes back around 91:30, about another minute later, and cautions Araujo, who was the player that committed the foul that prompted the DFK. At 92:39 or so (yes, ANOTHER minute later), he figures out he already cautioned Araujo earlier and finally sends him off for 2CT.

This is quite the mess.

He never annuls the caution to Tchilao, so it's not mistaken identity.

The foul, clearly occurs outside the penalty area, so this shouldn't have been an OFR for a potential penalty.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that the VAR said it was clearly wrong not to show a red card for DOGSO, Martinez took the OFR and decided it was not a red card, but that it was a yellow card for SPA. He then gives the yellow card without realizing it's a 2CT. That is the only possible thing that is lawful and consistent with the VAR protocols. And if that's it, it's very bad because it was definitely not clearly DOGSO and a referee must know a player is on a caution already if he's going to pull a yellow after an OFR.

This, more than anything, shows how important live training is for VAR to go well.

jarbitro repped this.
  2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Stott was AVAR on the LA match and as you said it shows how important live training is for VAR to go well.

It also shows why for these major international tournaments (Gold Cup, Asian Cup, Champions League, Europa League, etc.) it's going to be almost impossible for the organizers to use anyone, but the same three VARs on every game unless you want to get results like this.

Gold Cup, Asian/AFC Cup, and AFCON Cup will have this problem for a quite a while because most of the domestic leagues in those confederations won't have VAR for the foreseeable future. Those leagues just don't have the money for it.

UEFA will fine because pretty much now almost all of western Europe and eastern Europe already have VAR or are going to implement it soon. So they will be able to have a diverse list of qualified VARs with experience.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I happened to catch just this part of the match right after flipping back from my PlayStation before bed. Tchilao did have an ugly tackle near midfield in the sequence leading up to the free kick, the announcers at the time of the foul mentioned that the CR motioned that he would be coming back to that. So I'm sure the yellow card for Tchilao was unrelated to everything else that happened.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the broadcast ever say what the review was for?

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I turned it off before it was completely resolved but up to that point they hadn't (I was heading for bed, had no interest in watching the end of a friendly).

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The broadcast made the argument that it could be reviewed for DOGSO since it was a clear tug of the jersey going into the box although in line with other defenders. espn did not produce the broadcast.

As @JasonMa said, the yellow to Tchilao was for a foul earlier in the sequence.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    The broadcasters said it was to review a potential DOGSO, but they also thought that yellow was the right call for DOGSO which given that is was outside the PA it should have been either red (DOGSO) or nothing at all.

It was pretty funny watching the TJ players trying to tell the CR that the player was already on a yellow, and the Galaxy player hiding from the CR

8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things I want to see from a refereeing perspective in the Leagues Cup.
    1. Barton to do the final.
    2. Escobar to do the Cruz Azul-Galaxy game and just get eaten alive by Zlatan.
    I don’t like wanting to see referees not do well, but I REALLY don’t want to see Escobar be the next big thing from CONCACAF. We do not need timid officials that won’t sanction misconduct being a big player in Hex matches at the Azteca or San Jose.

9. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Urge you to freeze the video at the moment of the foul. The central defender is leaning forward with no chance to recover and goalkeeper is stuck to his line.

This is not a DOGSO red fans or many players expect, but this isn't a crazy one to Send down

10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a ridiculous red card in the RSL-TIG game. Was video review used for this? I didn't see him at the monitor.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ...and now a drop ball after a cat entered the field.

jarbitro repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Petke gets a red after the completion of the game.

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was hilarious and seemingly handled correctly, although it took a moment or two for the referee to realize what happened or get the information from someone.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure it could be a red. But it’s not clearly wrong to not give the red.

When the backdoor effect is a 2CT that otherwise can’t legally be given, that is bad. The only thing saving referees in situations like this right now is the ignorance of the teams. The player left here because he knew he committed the act. Once teams fully realize yellows aren’t supposed to be reviewable even if they are 2CTs, it’s going to put these sort of “bad” recommendations that result in correct decisions under the microscope more.

refinDC repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as assignments go:

Real Salt Lake : Tigres - PITTI (PAN) [VAR: ALVARADO (MEX)]
    Houston : Club America - LOPEZ (GUA) [VAR: MARRUFO (USA)]

From what I can tell, Gantar was the only Canadian referee assigned directly by PRO (as fourth official in Salt Lake). As I said in another thread, 15 of the other 16 appointments came from CONCACAF... yet, CONCACAF used Fischer and Barwegan.

Villarreal and Stott were AVARs on the matches with Mexican VARs.

17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have big questions about the process. He shows yellow at 82:16. It sounds like he's whistling at 83:18 and then shows red at 83:33. In theory, that's quick enough for it to be checked, an OFR to happen and for him to return. But that would be lightning quick speed for a red card in a competition and with referees that use VAR all the time. So, particularly given this wasn't clear, I have doubts over how this went down.

Did anyone watch live? Was this VAR, or did Pitti just change the decision on his own (presumably that would be in consultation with the on-field officials)?

I'm interested in whether or not this was SFP or DOGSO, also.

In a vacuum, I like a red for SFP here. But, no, I don't think you can call yellow clearly wrong. So if this went through VAR, I think there are a lot of questions to ask. Of course, if it didn't go through VAR, there are might be even more questions to ask.

ManiacalClown repped this.
  19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he decided it was DOGSO after further thought/information, I can definitely swallow that, although it's probably borderline.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched live. He never left the field, and never seemed to make the "I am listening" signal he did when reviewing for offside on the possible red card to the keeper in half one (friends at the stadium said he did not). It appeared that the seriousness of the injury - the blood mostly - prompted the change.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cat one: Pitti was looking right at it. What seemed to make Petke mad was that he allowed the play to continue even though players were effected, and only when the Tigres attacker made it into the box and took a lousy shot that went wide/out of play did he bring it back for the drop ball. Since Leagues Cup is a new after the IFAB changes - and since LigaMX just starting their season - the RSL players did not seem to understand the new uncontested drop ball rule. The cat, plus sorting out the drop ball, all occurred during stoppage time, and when no additional time was added to the announced four minutes, the coach and players were pretty upset.

jarbitro repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leaving the time issue aside, wasn’t it going to be a corner kick after the shot?

If it was going to be a goal kick, I can see why RSL would be irate there.

23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Mexican VAR is giving way more feedback than the PRO VARs, right? They told him "that yellow was perfect." That's a bit more than "check complete" But helpful.
    It also sounded like the AVAR said "That's going to be his second" on the DOGSO caution, but he said it in English. Not sure if the VAR understood, but he didn't obviously pass that along. So the VAR dropped the ball on that, but the AVAR should get props for at least trying to warn him.

25. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ideally I think you'd want to mention it much sooner. It may not factor into this particular decision, but it makes everyone look better when the dismissal is smoother.