League1Ontario to start a semi-pro women's division

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by bythesea, Aug 21, 2014.

1. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hopefully it fares better than WLS did.

3. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What important step?

What exactly has the USL-W not given Canadian teams? There has been (at least one) Canadian team in the W-Lg SF's since 2009, and in its current alignment, would guarantee one going forward. Wouldn't the teams want to play the toughest competition?

4. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    The W-League is locked into a short summer season. I don't think it's ideal for players who have finished school and are hoping to move on. The "better competition" argument doesn't apply to the current structure which sees only one team meet American competition, in the championship tournament. The W-League is a stable organization and there will likely always be Canadian interest in it. If it were financially feasible it would be attractive for a club to have a senior team in a semi-pro league and a college-age team in the W-League.

No one would expect a national soccer federation to provide financial assistance to a league that wasn't domestically run, owned and located. Other countries find a way to support a stable women's league. It isn't realistic to have a Canadian national league but leagues centered on southern Ontario and southern Quebec must be achievable.

5. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I fail to understand how this new league will find enough quality players ? The OWSL and the W League teams have all the serious age 18+ players. Why start a third league ??

6. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The league will make a lot of sense if players buy into it. I like the idea of having standards based league because in our experience good, qualified coaching is difficult to find.

Many good players who go to the NCAA are not guaranteed of quality football or instruction so often their summer U21 or W - League experiences are better. Not to mention many good players quit after one year of US College while others never attend in the first place.

All of these players and some who have partial scholarships might be better served to attend college in Canada and play a May - October League 1. Canada is way less expensive than a US College with quality soccer programs.

Down the road if Canada is thinking about increasing the number of nationally "carded athletes" the schooling will be paid for and they can play locally under the scrutiny of good coaches in a standards based league.

If it grows to become a recognized league with players jumping overseas I think remaining in Ontario will be a better option for young players out of high school.

7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You haven't answered the question, only delayed it one step; the follow-up question would then be, "why would (or... what would cause) Canadian women to but into it?"

8. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know and I haven't seen any new information. I think there are a few good quality teams in the OWSL which could switch over. W - League ?

It's going to take time and some positive news to keep things in focus during the off season. Perhaps some good quality coaches will start assembling - attracting players and / or the League is associated with a national youth program or overseas scouts.

This is just my optimistic outlook and they are not based on any conversations or news releases.

9. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here is a little info I found about the men's League 1. I don't know if they will apply the same standard's to the women's side.

League1 Ontario was founded with a series of values, objectives and standards all aimed at furthering the league's stated objective of improving player development in Ontario and Canada. Some of these regulations include:[1]

• Standards-based club licensing, renewed annually (not a franchise/ownership model). Standards include technical, organizational, facility and financial criteria.
    • Maximum of 3 non-Canadian players per club.
    • 18-man game day rosters must include a minimum of 8 U-23 players.
    • Starting 11 must include a minimum of 4 U-23 players.
    • Maximum of 5 substitutions per match.

10. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We have seen in writing Ottawa Fury will not field a W League team but nothing mentioned about entering League One. I have heard from a reliable source that the Toronto Lynx will not field a W league team for the 2015 season and there was no mention of moving to League One. ( I have yet to read any official announcement about the Lynx )

In theory League One is a better solution for competitive Women's soccer in Ontario but it does not sound like the league is flooded with applications. The entry fee is $21k and the teams considering a move from OWSL are left scratching their heads wondering why they should pay this and play against the same teams ?

Having said this the make up of any OWSL teams could change for the better because two W League clubs have stopped running and if the other two from Ontario, KW United and London close shop it could create a snowball effect as good players migrate to League One while pulling other quality players away from U21 OWSL. This sounds good but many of the best players are in school teams on both sides of the Canada / US border so they will be unavailable for the full season which is intended to stretch from May to October. Perhaps for the first season it will run May to July 31st ?

Another boost for League One could come from the REX program which is a 45 week national training center for youth players between the ages of 14 and 17. The REX program does not have a team in a league but maybe they will consider expanding and create a U21 team and participate in League One ? How about TFC and a women's academy team ? These last two ideas are pure conjecture on my part.

I believe it could take a couple of seasons before League One gains support and momentum.

Eventually I would like to see players NOT go to the NCAA and remain in Ontario in a well run, standards based league where they can develop under the watchful eyes of national coaches. It's the way the rest of the world does it.

11. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    semi-pro is a misnomer for this new league. Play should begin near the end of May and by all accounts there will be a wide range in age and ability of the players.

Many of the college age players who would have played for Ontario W-League teams are going to U-21 clubs. Some of these organizations have an affiliation with a League 1 franchise so there can be player movement between the two teams. Apparently all the League 1 games are recorded so local, national and other coaches can review if they are so inclined.

At the end of July the college players will depart and League 1 will continue through to the end of September.

14. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Promo for League 1 Women, Ontario.

16. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The way I see it.

Ontario is transitioning competitive women's soccer into standard based leagues to improve development under the watchful eyes of national and other elite coaches.

Presently there are four competitive leagues. Two new and two old.

OPDL ........ u13 and u14
    OYSL .........u15, u16, u17, u18
    OWSL ........open age
    League 1 ....open age

There is little to no development focus remaining in the old leagues, OYSL and OWSL.

OPDL is in year two of operation and a standards based league for coaching, training, schedules May to October, etc which eventually will replace the OYSL. The OPDL will stop expanding in 2017 when it reaches the u16 age group and they have 24 franchises across the province.

There will be no equivalent league for u17 or u18 players because the progression for the best talent is the new semi-pro League 1 women. All players not in L1 can find a team in the OWSL.

League 1 is a standards based league operating from Mid-May to early October. It is intended for the best players age 16+ along with motivated college athletes and seasoned veterans. League 1 clubs will have the ability to offer players training in the off season / winter.

As part of the League 1 standards all games are recorded and many streamed live which enables national and elite coaches wherever they are to check in and watch their prospects and recruits.

L1 clubs will offer the best college players a position on their u21 affiliate team, mid-May to July 31st as well providing opportunities to a few for exposure in L1. The league will continue it's season to early October without college players.

Candidates for national youth teams will be expected to participate in L1 whether they are HS or college age. The competitive club environments will include a blend of youth and experience so future, present and past NT players + others eager to impress will be together in league play. They will receive high level coaching with consistent, regular training and strong inter-squad sessions.

L1 Women is in it's first year of operation with seven clubs including u21 affiliates and plans to grow so all regions of Ontario have representation.

Notes.

- Clubs applying to OPDL or League 1 must meet the criteria and will be given a two year license to participate.

- It is not necessary for an L1 club to have a u21 affiliate or OPDL teams at this time.

- L1 game day rosters of 18 must include 8 x u23 of which four must be on the field.

- L1 limits five substitutions with no re-entry.

- L1 has many other standards with respect to refereeing, medical attendance and so on.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem a bit too enthusiastic in believing all of the press clippings for this league. Check back in a couple years.

So... you have one set of players before the college season, and one set after college starts?

19. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks for joining the conversation. Agreed. Anything can happen and time will tell but it's a far better solution than what is currently on offer.

College players can play Mid-May - July 31st on a u21 affiliate team. During this time they also have access to the 18 game L1 schedule mid-may - early October.

20. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 SJJ, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Finally listened to this. Best line is at 1:47; the league is good "because you play all over the place." Huh??

OK, any serious comments on how the league is going in Y2 of the women's slate? I also kind of like following the League Cup (but if you have a single-league Cup, why don't you just have a traditional North American playoff system?).

League Cup:
    • Tuesday, May 17, 2016; Round-of-9; Darby FC 0, Aurora United FC 1
    • Wednesday, June 22, 2016; QF; Durham United FA 1, North Mississauga SC 2
    • Wednesday, June 22, 2016; QF; Aurora United FC 1, FC London 2
    • Wednesday, June 22, 2016; QF; Woodbridge Strikers 7, Kingston Clippers 1
    • Friday, July 1, 2016; QF; Sanjaxx Lions -v- Vaughan Azzurri
    • SF; FC London -v- (Sanjaxx Lions -v- Vaughan Azzurri)
    • SF; Woodbridge Strikers -v- North Mississauga SC
    • F; (FC London -v- Sanjaxx Lions -v- Vaughan Azzurri) -v- (Woodbridge Strikers -v- North Mississauga SC)

21. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States