League Cup: Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here comes Nkoudou for Son - I guess that tells you what the manager thinks of the competition...

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Don't know how damaging this will be for the game Saturday

Spurs a shambles defending set pieces

Fans starting to leave the stadium

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    5 minutes to go, Spurs look in a state of shock

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Attendance: 36,000
    4 minutes added time

5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Best I can muster, should bring everyone’s expectations back down to a more reasonable level after the Madrid/Liverpool results.

Count Chocula repped this.
  6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Game over - our most embarrassing defeat for years, a collapse against a rubbish side.

The players should be ashamed, they did not turn up for the 2nd half thinking they had the game won.

7. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mite be a kick in the rear they need before their heads get too big

I missed most of the 2nd half dealing with stuff. who crapped the bed so badly for Spurs?

8. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it will make us or break us...guess we will see.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Tonight we saw why this team, as talented as they are, haven't won anything. The only way you lose a game like that is if you don't turn up for the second half. As bad as West Ham were, they were not going to give up (as we saw in the league game). It shows the team and the manager still lack the maturity you need in Cup competitions. Now we have thrown away our first chance to win a trophy and against a rubbish side at that. All the other big teams found a way to go through.

It is a result that reflects badly on the players and the manager.

Just a reminder that the dark days of Old Spurs are not that far away...

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the doom and gloom, there are two things to remember in this match, and one caveat.

1 - It is West Ham, and no matter how good Spurs are, the very consistently seem to turn up, particularly in cup matches. Spurs could have been leading the league, and West Ham in League 2, and this still would have been a difficult match.

2 - No Toby, no Eriksen, no Kane, no Winks, no Lloris with Foyth starting. Shows the importance of this competition.

Caveat - one thing that Spurs have been missing is that person who can lift the entire team. That player has become Kane, and he was not on the pitch. I think this match shows the importance of Kane to the team not just for his goals, for his stability.

I am not going to worry about this loss - only if it has been 7-0 would I worry. Spurs at the start of the day, Spurs were in 4 competitions, and that would eventually cause match fatigue by the players. The FA cup is a bonus, but with the results so far, the CL and EPL have to be the priority.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    There are no caveats, when you lose to West Ham at home from 2-0 up (and Toby was playing by the way), regardless of the competition, it is a complete embarrassment.

Would City, United, Chelsea or even Arsenal have lost the game from that position?

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I meant Jan

City, this season, probably not. But the others, this season, possibly. United are definitely weaker without Pogba, Chelsea are not the same as last season, and Arsenal...also, keep in mind that Spurs were missing 4 multiple season starters, plus Winks who I think could be considered a first team/starter. Imaging those other teams playing without 4 or 5 starters.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I am hearing a lot of excuses, but it is all claptrap.

it was not like we paraded the reserves out there, there were quite a few first team regulars (Toby, Davies, Rose, Trippier, Dier, Son, Dele, Sissoko - and Dembélé and Eriksen came off the bench). The 2nd half performance was a disgrace, especially for a London derby, they should know better.

A team in the CL should not be making excuses about going out to a rubbish side at home in the League Cup after leading 2-0 at HT.

I keep hearing about this and that player should be going to Real Madrid or Barcelona and it makes me sick. If the players performed like the 2nd half last night at the Bernabeu or Nou Camp, they would be booed off the pitch.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

I'm saying that this loss is not the end of the world that you seem to be making it out to be.

You seem to be saying that Spurs should win every match in every competition.

I'm just not gonna get sucked into "this is the worst thing that ever happened" mentality.

It was a bad loss, but I would rather Spurs focus elsewhere.

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    not gonna start a thread for it, but apparently Kane won't play at Old Trafford tomorrow. disappointing ... but ok so long as he's going on Wednesday.

i will be one grumpy yid if Harry isn't playing come wednesday.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Dumb management by Poch, should not have left him on for so long vs Liverpool with the game won at 4-1.

I know a lot of people are dismissing Wednesday's result, but I can't help having a bad feeling that the Cup loss could be the start of a negative run for the side.

17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    TBF away to United and home to Real aren’t exactly games you’d mark down as an expected 3 points even if Kane were fit. Losing the next two games would be disappointing, but I don’t think it would be indicative of a slide … now dropping points to Crystal Palace the following game is a different story.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well, we are going to find out if the Llorente signing was a good one!

COYS!

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States