League 1 Ontario 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RocketRobin, Mar 9, 2018.

1. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    March 15, 2018 League 1 Ontario Releases 2018 Schedule

League 1 Ontario released their 2018 Schedule yesterday and there are big changes from the year before.
    The league has done away with the two conferences and thrown all the teams into one big table.
    There are seventeen teams this year (one more than last year) and it will make a clean sixteen game
    partial season without an uneven conference. Each team will play eight home games.

The season kicks off on April 28th and ends September 23rd. That would be their all time shortest season.
    (Last year was 22 games per team—home and away against your own conference and one game against the
    other conference—two conference winners played off for the championship).

This season for the first time the top eight teams then move on to a group stage (I'd assume two groups
    of four) for another round and the two winners then play for the championship and the right to be the
    league's entrant to the 2019 Canadian Championship.

This second season sounds intriguing. Past seasons have had some teams just play out their schedule.
    Windsor TFC Stars would come to the GTA with ten or eleven players when their main squad returned
    to university. Sigma FC would often start off their season with nine wins in a row but then have
    to reorganize when their older players return to the NCAA. They would finish the season with high
    schoolers. It would also eliminate the quirk of the late season game (rescheduled from months earlier
    because of lightning) that had the best in the west vs best in the east Oakville and Woodbridge play
    to a 0-0 tie as the only way they could both ensure they finished first. Neither team crossed over
    their own end line the last half hour of the game. Even soccer parents were shouting for their sons
    to pass the ball back to ensure the result. The two teams played a match of the year final the next
    week with the game going to a shootout.

I expect older players like I saw at the team they rustled together to give Ottawa Fury FC (USL)
    a game last week with only three practices will stay with their teams for one last year before they
    catch on for the new Canadian Premier League. That will then free up the teams to play their younger
    players and give more a chance to a team like ProStars FC who are a majority of teenagers showcasing
    for foreign placements and scholarships.

I have no rosters this early in the year so I'm not going to speculate who may be the final eight.

There are three new teams this year (they're up only one because two teams are out).

Darby FC who will play in Whitby. They have had a team in the women's league for a few years now although
    that team has struggled for results. Darby is a partnership of Darlington Soccer Club and Whitby Soccer Club.

Unionville Milliken SC (who also had a L1O women's team last year) will play in Unionville (Markham)
    at Bill Crothers Turf Centre. This is a high school for athletes. I flew over it by Google Maps looking
    for a track as Bill Crothers was a famous Canadian track athlete who won a silver medal at Tokyo Olympics
    in 1964 in the 800M at a time when four medals earned by the entire nation made him a hero. While one
    field has a track along the field, there are two other fields that could be used. Rather than starting
    from scratch I read a tweet announcing five signings already, with two players from Vaughan Azzurri
    (Joe Di Chiara and Tre Crosby), Michael Fayehun from Woodbridge Strikers, Basel Rashrash from Aurora FC,
    and Jalen Brome who played with TFCA then York Region Shooters in 2010-2011 in the CPSL days. These aren't
    neccessarily trades as last year the MVP goalie moved from the Woodbridge team to the Oakville one because
    it was closer to his home and shortened his drive for games and practices.

Alliance United FC is the third new team. They have an appropriate name as it's a partnership between
    Markham SC, Wexford SC and Centennial College. The team will play at Centennial College in Scarborough.
    Ilya Orlov has been announced as coach. I remember him years ago as a defender for Toronto Croatia.

Not returning for 2019 are Durham United FA who the press release lists as taking one year off and
    North Toronto Nitros who 'did not renew their licence' which sounds like a more permanent arrangement.
    Nitors were the most 'downtown' Toronto team starting their seasons at the U of T then getting bumped
    up away North York when varsity teams (football, soccer, track) pushed them out. Durham United sitting
    out now explains why a month ago their head coach Sanford Caraban jumped over to Darby FC
    as an assistant coach.

Besides the new teams a few of the established teams have changed facilities. OSU Force from Ottawa are
    now playing at Quinns Point. Aurora FC is moving again...this time to Stewart Burnett Park as part
    of a new state of the art facility. TFC Academy will play at the BMO Training Ground. I expect that
    is just going to be new signage as they must have pushed KIA cars off the marquis. I wondered if BMO
    not giving us fridge magnets at the TFC opening game meant they needed to save their money for the
    renaming rights?

Not clear yet is whether there will be a cup competition for teams in the league (well they have a trophy
    for it). There are a few holes in the schedule but games were poorly attended because sometimes there was
    less than a week's notice by the league office and they were played at whatever facility could be booked
    on short notice.

I'm looking forward to the season. This is a league that has more than 95% Canadians on the field
    at the same time and offers fine entertainment.

3. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now TFC switches their home game against DC United to Wednesday June 13th (from Sat April 7th so they can recover between Club American games).

Hmm. Now means TFC fans can't go to the 2nd leg Canadian Championship game between Oakville Blue Devils and AS Blainville which from last I heard was being played at Ontario Soccer Centre. OBD's home of Sheridan College doesn't have stadium lights.

Chances were small, but TFC would face either of those teams as the winner plays Ottawa for a spot in the semis.

4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    RocketRobin, do you ever get access to any attendance data? That's something I haven't been able to find for L1O.

5. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't have their attendance figures. On my site I post my own count of how many people are there. That makes it about sixty games combined for the GTA area teams.

Most games an average of less than 200 unless it's a special occasion.

6. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #14 RocketRobin, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  15. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Four L1O games from the weekend.... ie June 16th and 17th, 2018

Sanjaxx Lions.....0......Darby FC.....1...….

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o112.htm

Unionville Milliken SC.....3......Woodbridge Strikers.....1......

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o113.htm

Toronto FC III...….10...….Windsor TFC...….0....

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o114.htm

Alliance United...….2...….Masters FA...….2.....

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o115.htm

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Thanks for your write ups.

18. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada