Leage Cup Semifinals - The Arsenal vs Chelsea [R]: Wednesday, January 24th 20:00 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by The Foo Fighter, Jan 22, 2018.

1. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can fundamentally disagree with it all you want but in regards to Wenger's last 10 years, it appears to have some merit behind it. You try to bring up some players as reference but one was again well over ten years ago and the other has had so many injuries that no one is sure if we're finally seeing him emerge into the player he can be and others are holding their breath he doesn't get injured with every step he takes.

For some clubs, I agree with you. I generally do not in regards to Wenger and Arsenal. We apparently scout players far far far longer than any other club. Wenger himself in his usual ridiculousness said recently every player is known to us. You can't point to many signings working out the way people hoped in the last ten years, particularly the younger signings. The ones that have managed to remain relatively the same in ability or improve and do well for us were already very well known to most. I think the only reason he's seen as some player guru is because he had a better knowledge of France and other areas when he came into the league and was willing to bring in more foreigners than other managers were.

There just doesn't appear to be much development. Former players have already said Wenger doesn't really coach. He's the only one I can really point to. And yes, once they cross the white line it is up to the players, HOWEVER, if a manager has fostered an atmosphere where the players have a comfortable environment and aren't necessarily fighting for their position, there isn't much impetus for them to kick on. I just have zero confidence in his ability to develop a player these days, sorry.

2. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll get the new thread up this morning!

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #79 NorthBank, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Hearing reports today that the authorities have changed their tune and are now allowing us to wear white shorts... hallelujah!!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...enal-wear-white-shorts-Carabao-Cup-final.html

The pundit and ex-player Pat Nevin, a savvy guy, said he thinks that conflicting shorts aren't a big deal, but socks are. So I guess it's deemed that City's light blue socks vs our dark red ones is enough color/contrast difference to not cause the players or refs any confusion.

5. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Northbank become Bighmw?

NorthBank repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #81 NorthBank, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Haha. No I just never want to see us dressed like Liverpool again. ;)

Edit: Looks like we'll be wearing our white socks w/ red at top. Personally I think all-red socks define our traditional kit. but I'm fine with white socks, just as long as we don't wear red shorts! Don't know how much @ArsenalMetro will like all of this though.