Le Tour 2015 [R]

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by Dead Fingers, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Kevin De Weert did make the interesting point that the importance of the podium at the tour probably hampered Movistar, since they found it important enough to protect their two podium places as opposed to using a more aggressive approach. I do think the fact that Valverde ended in third place shows that they perhaps did not use all of their "bullets" in the best possible way. Tactically I was also confused by some of their choices, e.g. sending Valverde after Contador when they really should have left the job to Sky.

I don't believe they would have remained so "passive" if the same scenario unfolds in the Giro or the Vuelta (where a podium place is not so highly regarded). I also suspect that they will regret not doing more in this tour to win it, since it is unlikely that the race will be as tailor-made for a pure climber like Quintana next year.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what Quintana could have gotten if Valverde had lived up to his part of the plan on the Croix de Fer. Valverde was supposed to lead Qunitana over the top and help him descend but instead Nairo had to hold up and wait for him near the top, then Valverde got left behind by both Quintana and Froome on the decent. If they go over without having to hold up and bomb the decent does that put Frrome into enough difficulty that Nairo cracks him earlier on the Alpe?

3. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You raise some good points, but at the end of the day, Quintana may have been a better high-mountain climber than Froome. We'll never know, though, because he waited too long to make a move. I don't think Contador would have waited that long.

In any event, chapeau to Froome. He managed to keep his focus despite a lot of distractions swirling around him.

And chapeau to everyone who made this thread one of the longest and mostinteresting Tour threads we've had in some time. I hope y'all stick around for the Vuelta and Lombardia and come back for next year's spring classics!

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Looking forward already to seeing next years route. It has to favour the all rounder, well I'd hope so anyway. This last one really favoured the climbers.

I know it's popular to many to see riders busting their guts going up vertical walls but I for one would like to see the playing field "leveled a bit" so to speak. Somewhere between that monster Greipel and Quintana.

Perhaps it's just because I like the style of Sagan and his like. Prolly my favourite rider of the tour.

We'll find out come October.

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well having said all that, I've just looked at the pre race summary of the Vuelta.
    Holy crap that one is going to be a vertical race. It doesn't even mention going down at all. :)

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I do wonder how many of these top ten riders will still be unblemished in five years time.
    I have my opinion about who might be the first to have his bubble pierced.
    And no, it's not who you might think it is, but I'm not going to suggest things I have no proof for.

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Matthias Frank?

Quintana waited because of Valverde. Valverde wanted to reach the podium, for the first time. Valverde is more of a seasoned guy and it's a Spanish team with Spanish sponsor. Furthermore, Froome needed to weaken and even then the Skybots were so strong that they could claw back world class climbers. Mind, even USPostal couldn't do that, with the exception of Roberto Heras. If the rivals attacked, it was in 99% of the cases down to Armstrong himself to chase them.

aveslacker, JasonMa and cr7torossi repped this.
  8. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    No point attacking when renowned mountain goat Geraint Thomas can outclimb Contador.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Transparent memo made public by the FIF... uhhmm UCI!

[​IMG]

cr7torossi repped this.
  11. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great tour, next year will have a TT

aveslacker repped this.
  12. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Froomestrong to do a Tour-Vuelta double

13. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he going to be Sky's main gc guy? I can't imagine that.