Lazio in the Europa League

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by Rob_420, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Very frustrating we're just unable to take our chances. Carved out about 5 decent opportunities in this half but can't convert. Fortunate on one play wehre Radu gave away the ball and the Zurich player missed with only Marchetti to beat.

2. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    1-1 FT

Finishing just wasn't there again. We're carving them out but must find a way to finish, we were camped out in their half the whole 2nd half aside from Radu's blunder. Cisse was poor again, Kozak had fine header stopped but missed a glorious chance once again late where he just had to tap Henanes' free kick but couldn't get a proper touch. Sculli was poor as well he works hard and wins the ball but his first touch is terrible at times.

Not impressed with Zurich or Vaslui so we should be able to beat both, as well as Sporting, I expect 7 pts from the remaining fixtures which should be good enough.

Sporting did win 2-0 today, so Sporting are on top with 9 pts while we're tied with Zurich and Vaslui on 2 pts.

3. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We dominated Vaslui Zurich and played an overall better game than Sporting of course because of the red card and we have 2 points to show.

We have shown to be a force in this league and but we cannot finish the easy chances and that is what sepearates our current 2 points to a deserving 7 points thus far. Disappointing

4. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    No more excuses at home against Zurich, we must claim all 3 points!

5. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And 3 points we got. I wasnt able to catch this game but Cisse apparently set up another gem for Brocchi to smash home. Brocchi and Cisse were both Reja's second half subs.

On the other hand, Sporting Lesbians rolled over for Vaslui in definite hope that we don't qualify. They had a great Europa League streak going and loses to Vaslui? Ya k. We have to play both these s.o.b's and hopefully Lazio continues its streak and defeats both.

6. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  7. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nice to get the win, wasn't easy as the boys were really sluggish before half. Great goal by Brocchi it was a nice looping effort something you would expect from a Hernanes not from our combative midfielder. It was neat back heel from Cisse but he was very poor overall and at times showed that he has zero confidence, he lost possesion easily on a 3 on 2, missed some easy passes, and inexplicably came from an offside position when we we're holding the ball in the final minute, it gave Zurich possesion and one last chance. Zauri as well though he was decent pushing forward almost made calamitous error misjudging a goal kick that forced Marchetti to just beat the Zurich player to the ball.

I thought we we're poor going forward the lack of Hernanes and Mauri is very telling, there's no decisiveness or cutting edge.

Defense was top notch, Zurich's only shot on target came in the 1st minute and they didn't have much else aside from Zauri's mistake.

3 points was needed and we're now tied with Vaslui, we play them in Romania next month. A win just about guarantees us progression, it won't be easy as Sporting who have looked quite good lost there. The way we dominated Vaslui aside from 15 mins at the Olimpico we should take care of business in Romania.

8. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you guys ready?

9. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Hope so. We dominated these guys in Rome aside from 10-15 mins, where we conceded twice and had a man sent off. It will be tough but we're the much better team, get up on them early and take the crowd out of it. We do have a big game this weekend vs Juve, we have the depth so no need to rest several players.

Probable lineup: Marchetti, Radu, Dias, Biava, Konko, Ledesma, Matuzalem, Brocchi, Hernanes, Klose, Rocchi

10. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Marchetti better turn into Dino Zoff again like he did against Napoli!!

11. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Hopefully he won't have to. Yeah he stole a point ffor us at the San Paolo that's for sure. Good thing Man City had an English keeper

12. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Looks like we play next week, I thought it was today oh well lets get ready for Juve

13. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Big one here today, winner moves on. Lets finish these guys off and advance. Decent lineup though I wouldn't put Cana he's a weakness in midfield.

14. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    0-0 at the half.

Cagey 1st half, even for the first 25 mins then Lazio took control for about 15 mins and Vaslui had some excellent opportunities in the last 5 mins or so. Klose with the best chancce after a great run by Gonzalez, maybe he sshould've struck with his left but he tried to slide to Klose who was too close to beat the keeper who did very well. Marchetti made two good saves a well. They got some players on yellows as does Hernanes, we must keep attacking and I think I've seen enough of Cisse; too slow to move the ball and wasted possesion on what seemed like a 6 on 3 after horrendous give away by the Vaslui defender.

Bring on Ledesma for Cana, and give cisse 10 mins or else bring on Rocchi or Kozak. Even sculli who was our best player in the first match vs Vaslui.

15. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    0-0 FT

Another disapointing result. The boys played hard but couldn't break through, Rocchi had a glorious chance at the end but the keeper did well charging off his line and rejecting Rocchi's effort like block in volleyball. Vaslui had chances as well even a disallowed goal which was clearly offside. Now we need Zurich to hold off Vaslui and they will certainly play their reserves. If we don't make it wwe have to look back at all the squandered opportunities in the first Vaslui match, the Sporting match and the Zurich match.

We needed Ledesma today, with Cana in there there was nothing but long balls. Credit Vaslui they played hard and nothing came easy.

16. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Couldn't catch the game but I thought Lazio was going to take Europa seriously. I dont care home or away, no romanian team should ever tie this Lazio. Disappointing.

17. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    so is Lazio still going to make it to the next round?

18. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its not probable. We have to win sporting which we cant even beat zurich or vaslui. Then we have to hope vaslui doesnt beat Zurich. Ill give it a 25% chance.

19. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i see perhaps Reja thinks he can finish higher and or win the league this year?

20. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Perhaps if Cisse finds his scoring ability sometime and make significant signings can we even think about scudetto. Lazio has a strong foundation but dont have the extra quality to push past bigger clubs in games. Third place is the objective, but Lazio has never said that Europa will be played by substitutes or anything close to that intention. Management has always stressed Europa was an objective this season and I'm sure they all did not expect this early exit.

21. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Disappointing Europa League for Lazio. I doubt you'll go through. :( Dunno why your good Serie A form has not continued against Vaslui, especially.

Well, at least we're gonna wreck Roma on Sunday. ;-)

22. Thomas T.

Thomas T. Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Hamburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was really impressed by Vaslui. Never heard of this club before, but based on their performance against Lazio, they could hold their own in any league in Europe. I don't think that Lazio played that bad (although they were a bit sloppy at times), but that Vaslui were very good.

23. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Lazio took this competition seriously. Hernanes played in every game, most of the regulars played it was usually only Ledesma and one forward getting a rest. We just weren't good enough especially finishing our chances, while our opponents did quite well with minimal chances.

Yes this Vaslui team are difficult to play against especially at home where they haven't lost in a long time. we've struggled this whole campaing there's no reason for us to drop points at home, we struggled mightily against Zurich as well at home.

I still hold out hope Zurich will play well in front of their fans. Who knows mid December perhaps there will be snow storms like last year on matchday 6.

24. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Up 1-0 at the half, nice goal by Kozak after a lovely cross from Lulic. Three players were wide opne but it was Kozak who took it well.

0-0 in Zurich. Zurich have played well from reports and have had most of hte ball and chances.

25. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Golaso di Zurigo!!!!