Laws of the Game, Law 15

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Peter Rival, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    In all my years of playing, coaching, and watching this beautiful game it has taken until an adult 8v8 game tonight for me to finally see this rule violated:
    A goal cannot be scored directly from a throw-in:
    • if the ball enters the opponents’ goal – a goal kick is awarded
    • if the ball enters the thrower’s goal – a corner kick is awarded​

Even the referee didn't know what to do when our opponent threw the ball directly into our goal. Despite our protests that it is not a legal play the referee allowed the goal to count, ultimately costing us the game.

Just an FYI in case anyone else should some day need to refer to this law some day. I wonder what I'll see next that I've never seen before...o_O

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I am surprised that the ref didn't know better, but I have never seen it happen yet. You are 1 up on me.

3. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    She pulled out her phone and flipped through for a minute and then gave up. I'd have thought a credentialed ref would always have a copy of the LOTG available just in case some weird corner case came up that was contested, but I guess not. I'm curious to see what the league will do since it was such a blatant breaking of the rules; I'm guessing nothing since it's just adult rec, but you never know.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Its definitely covered in training courses and recertification tests.

We used to receive the LOTG books each year. Last year USSF stopped giving them out with renewals. Our local group will begin giving them out as part of our dues next season.

Its no guarantee that a ref will carry it as this year's version is 95 pages long. I do carry an old copy with me.

rca2 repped this.
  5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    This is the closest I've seen:

6. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a kid I was coaching a couple years ago put one in the goal from his throw in. We scored a couple headers from his throw ins, but this one went all the way through without anyone touching it. "Unfortunately" :cool: the ref knew the rule (HS) and the other team got a GK. Half my kids were celebrating. I just shook my head and said it won't count if the ref knows what he's doing. He did.

I haven't seen one while reffing though. But when instructing new refs, I do go over that scenario. But like you say, it almost never happens, so not normally something in the refs mind.

rca2 repped this.