Lawrence Smith at GBK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    From the Jamaica Observer:

FRESH on the heels of Sunday's impressive debut with the Harbour View Under-21s where he netted four of 10 goals against Wadadah, 21-year-old American Lawrence Smith could soon feature in the Wray & Nephew National Premier League (NPL).

Lawrence, who earned a deal with the 'stars of the east' following a successful two-week trial from American "A" League side Charleston Battery, etched his name on the scoresheet with four outstanding strikes within the first hour as the JFF Under-21 league leaders thrashed Wadadah 10-0 at the mini stadium.​

Full article:
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor...MITH_IMPRESSES_FOR_H_VIEW_WITH_FOUR_GOALS.asp

Smith is a 1985 from South Carolina who played for Georgia Southern and, in summer 2006, the Charleston Battery.

[​IMG]

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smith appeared in 3 matches totalling 44 minutes for Charleston at forward, with no other results to show for it.

3. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Martin, honest question: has there ever been a yank abroad that isn't on the youth national team to whom you actually give the benefit of the doubt?

4. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's information, nothing more. Foolishly I thought that people might not be familiar with how he fit into the A League system. Really, I can't believe anyone has any higher agenda at this point with this guy.

5. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave M-N posted current info on this guy; Martin added fairly recent historical info. What's the problem? What "benefit of the doubt" is there to give? If he demonstrates potential, then there will be attention paid.

6. PhantomTollbooth

PhantomTollbooth New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know -- why haven't more college players gone to Jamaica (or other places in the Carribbean) to play? I'm sure it's not much money, but how great would it be to hang out in Jamaica for the summer and get paid to play soccer? :D

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    get paid what? that may be the question.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ganja, Red Stripe and hot ass.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They don't want to follow in Trevor Berbick's footsteps.

10. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I knew there was going to be a Trevor Berbick joke in here somewhere.

But seriously - regarding the question of why not go to Jamaica and play? I couldn't agree more. Even if you only get paid enough to live and eat - why not? You're in your early 20s, just out of college, no commitments - (assuming you didn't get married right after college) - what could be better? Head down for one season, soak up the sun and the experience, and then move on with whatever else you want to do.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Jamaica needs its league, which I believe is largely part-time, to provide playing time for its own players in order to support its national team. I think its unlikely that those clubs are out scouring the region for players who are likely right around the same level as they can find in the Caribbean.

Consider Smith. That he can make a USL-1 roster -- taking into account his limited playing time this past season -- means he's probably a pretty solid player, but Jamaica (to say nothing of other Island nations) probably has plenty of guys who are around the same level.

I'd love to know how Smith ended up there.

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while Smith going to Jamaica is news to me, his move could have something to do with The Battery having two Jamaican international on the team Omar Daley and Shawn Crawford. The Battery also played Village United in an exhibiton match. Plus Ed Khoury, who is mentined in the article, is fixture in the soccer scene in Charleston.

Smith play was limited this season but to be honest he was going up against some tough competetion for the starting role. The Battery played a 4-5-1 most season and Gavin Glinton had a firm grasp on the solo striker postion. His spot on the team was one of development and I dont' think he was expected to get many minutes.

Smith is a local boy and had supported the Battery in his youth and went to Battery Camps. There was a good article on him in one of the Battery game day programs that talked about how he was a big fish in High school and how while he wasn't there yet he wanted to be a big fish in the pros too. He has a great work rate and good size. I dont think you'll ever see him on the USMNT but Im sure you'll hear about him again in the future

13. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikey pretty much hit it. Smith's coach for much of his youth club days was Ed Khoury, a Jamaican and also the Battery's (former) asst. coach for years. During their youth days, Khoury took his youth teams to Jamaica during the offseason for training, so, playing in Jamaica isn't new to Smth. Plus, the Battery has always had strong ties to the Caribbean and particularly, Jamaica.....2 Jamaican internationals this year, Omar Daley & Shane Crawford. Former Jamaican national team captain Rudi Dixon, Greg Simmonds, Dean Sewell, Paul Young back in the dark ages, those are just a few I remember off the top of my head.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  15. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Just to toss in some information. KPV plays in the Finnish Ykkonen (first division) but is the second division behind the Veikkausliga. KPV is considered one of the favorites to go up as well as my new team RoPS, but it will be a hard year for everyone. From what I have see of the teams so far everyone is about on par with each other and no one really seems to be absolutely destined for promotion. I know I'm biased here, but of all the teams I have seen I would put my team RoPS and KuPS (relegated from top division) as the favorites. We play some very very attractive football, and as for movement, creativity, and possession we are probably top. But we are young and perhaps a little small in a league that is generally quite physical. All in all, it will probably be a tight year definitely one to enjoy for me personally. I see my dad has already chimed in the thread about me, I'll let him update you guys as the season goes. Just thought I'd pass on some info.

Jon

16. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please!

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good find. we try to keep track of the local boys here in Charleston.

keep us updated on how he is doing if you can!

mikey

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Larry seems to have exchanged hot sun and ganja for some jauhelihapihvi and reindeer-kebob.

19. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction: Kakkonen is Finland's 3rd tier. Hat tip - @Balerion

22. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lawrence scored two goals in GBK’s 6-0 win over PK-37 on Wednesday. Here are some highlights with his goals coming at the 1:02 and 1:35 marks.

Testudo repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    FYP, old school @Martin Fischer style. (Are you kidding me? 2006...)

;)

Smith has now been up north a good while. He married a local gal and started a family up there. You never know where life, or soccer, will take you...

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If he married a local girl he probably figures his current club is a good place to Finnish his career.

uniteo, Winoman, Testudo and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I shouldn't encourage you

Sandon Mibut repped this.