Lavolpe warns Mexico over influx of foreign players

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Hugo Sanchez, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    MEXICO CITY, Dec 21 (Reuters) - Mexico coach Ricardo La Volpe believes the country should reduce the number of foreigners playing in its domestic championship and said he did not want the situation to end up like it had in Spain.

"We have to work so that the (club) presidents and owners understand that we have to reduce the number of foreigners," La Volpe told reporters on Tuesday, adding that the presence of overseas players had weakened the Spanish national team.

"You can look at Real Madrid, you can look at Barcelona, or Valencia, they all have great players but they are all foreigners and I don't want this to happen to Mexico, because the national team will pay the price."

"Spain has never made its presence felt at a World Cup, it has never been anything at national team level," added the Argentine, who was reserve goalkeeper in his country's 1978 World Cup winning squad.

The Mexican championship, where clubs generally offer high wages and pay them on time, attracts players and coaches from Latin America, in particular Argentina, Paraguay, Colombia, Uruguay and Chile.

Players also say they are under less pressure from the supporters in Mexico than back home.

The first division clubs are currently allowed six foreign players in their squad, of whom five can be fielded at any one time.

The exception is for matches in Mexico City where, under a presidential decree dating back to 1947, only four foreigners can be fielded.

2. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    I agree. Kind of ironic that he would say this though, playing a foreigner on the national team.

3. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    same old record

4. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I think he said this only to keep his job and for his securness Plus he will also get alot of pressure from the media and fans!!

5. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
  6. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    yup yup!!

7. aguilas

aguilas New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Club América
    I think that it should be lowered to having 4 foreginers and all 4 can play.

8. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Your probably right!