Latest from Rochester

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by retnicf, Oct 29, 2002.

1. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
  2. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its stuff like this that always gets me involved in Politics.

I tell ya some day I will be a senator or something and just because I am irritated at a bunch of idiots that wont act on anything. I feel sorry for Rochester. just build something, anything

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Great article. Covered each of the alternatives well. I figure I'd support mass transit over a soccer stadium myself.

Sachin

4. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    another kick in the rear....

5. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
  6. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't understand the politics involved.

7. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    I just love how 609 registered voters are supposed to represent an accurate cross-section of the people. Polling and generalizing is so inaccurate and unfair. This system needs to change.

8. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    What about the RHINOS

What about the RHINOS ? they have been very quiet....

9. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    last post merged into this thread to prevent redundancy.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Polling can be inaccurate, but sample sizes are pretty straightforward - That let's you know the confidence one can have in a survey.

The more important part is how the questions are worded.

11. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many seats will the stadium housed?
    I heard some figure from a few weeks ago about the fact that it will be 10-15 for A-league and 20-25 for MLS. Which model will the stadium base on?
    Oh, I remember now...The stadium will be built in stages. If it got MLS approval, it will expand to accomodate MLS seating. Please Correct me if I am wrong.

13. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current plan is to have 13,500 permanent seats and 4000 additional temporary bleacher seats next year for a total seating capacity of 17,500.

Word is that they could expand the stadium to as much as 30,000 seats if that much seating is deemed neccessary in the future and they have the capital to do the expansion.

14. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer stadium grant awarded

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/0822JB1J6FD_nb22_news.shtml

(August 22, 2003) — The state on Thursday approved passing a $5 million state grant to the city for the construction of a soccer stadium downtown, one of the final steps to get the project started.

On Tuesday, the Rochester Urban Renewal Agency is expected to agree to serve as an agency for the $15 million grant so the money can go to the Rochester Rhinos for the stadium’s construction.

Also on Tuesday, City Council plans to approve the creation of an Erie Canal Urban Renewal District at the stadium site near Frontier Field, and abandon a portion of Oak Street for the facility to be built.

Rhinos owner Frank DuRoss and city officials refused to comment on a redesign of the $23 million stadium. DuRoss said the team plans a news conference Wednesday to unveil the changes.

Construction of the 13,000-seat stadium is to begin this fall and finish in time for the Rhinos season opener next spring.

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like you guys are a week or so away from wrapping up all the stadium prelimininaries. Good luck!

17. socca1531

socca1531 New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Rochester
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SoccerTown USA

Mar 20, 1999
    Frank DuRoss held a mini press conference at halftime tonight. He said all the financing is in place, only paper work remains to be finalized.

But still no groundbreaking date.

20. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/rhinos/0824571JLC1_rhnot24_rhinos.shtml

Stadium statement
    Rhinos president Frank DuRoss issued a statement regarding the financial stability of the team's proposed stadium.

It read, in part: "The state has asked for ours and my personal financial guarantee as it relates to any cost overruns. ... They've reviewed my personal financial statements, tax returns and those of co-owners Steve Donner and Chris Economides) and made the determination that there are sufficient assets to handle any possible ... operating deficits if that case arises.''

The team expects to break ground on the stadium this fall.

http://wroctv.com/news/story.asp?id=9944

The Rochester Rhinos long-anticipated soccer stadium will not be ready for the start of the 2004 season, team officials said Saturday. Instead, it will be ready by mid-season.

Team owner Frank DuRoss says the delays have nothing to do with the team's ability to raise the necessary funds. He also told News 8 that he never intended for the stadium to be ready by the first game of 2004.

"We have a few more details to tie up. They're not financing related," said DuRoss. "We are confident we will get there."

News 8 Now was first to report the team scaled back its most recent stadium design by a few million dollars. It will lease a building nearby for locker rooms and offices. The price tag is now about $20 million dollars, according to Rhinos CEO Steve Donner, who spoke to News 8 earlier in the week. The state is contributing $15 million to the project.

The team hopes to be in its new home by the middle of next season. It will have 17,000 seats.

The Empire State Development Corporation has approved the state grant last week. It still needs approval from another state board. That will likely happen next month. The Rhinos hope to break ground soon afterwards.

21. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    It does make me question whether the Rhino brass can afford MLS.

OTOH, there is the possibility that the change is related as much or more to the time required for construction than it does the cost.

22. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The talk around Rochester is that a current MLS team that is drawing poor crowds where they are currently located (think SJ or Colorado) moving to Rochester is much more likely than Rochester being an expansion site.

Rhinos ownership feels like they have a stable organization that has a proven fan base. Once they get the stadium built they look at it like MLS needs them more than they need MLS. So why pay a big expansion fee?

And the whole locker room/team store/admin offices location is only 40 feet away from where they had planned to build them. So why spend a couple of million to build a new building that is only 40 feet closer when you can use a building that is already there?

I think that part is a non-issue.

The question I have is whether or not the money saved there will be put towards improving other parts of the stadium or whether it will just simply come off the bottom line.

23. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Here's follow up to the Saturday's article: http://democratandchronicle.com/news/0826421K7DJ_soccer26_news.shtml

My reaction to Saturday's article is that it's David Gantt playing the crumudgeon. He's just ornery and even more ornery because he hasn't found a way to kill the project or skim off of it. He likes having people dependent on him.

Anyhow, the project continues to move forward with some interesting twists and turns.

FYI, the 12.6K crowd the other night was a great morale booster. The Rhinos have battling bad weather, a bad economy and some schedule/calendar quirks with their attendance.

24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Bob,

FYI, Colorado is 2nd in the league in avg. attendance: 17,659. The 'Quakes on the other hand....

25. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue in Colorado may not be attendance as much as it is the lease.

All I know is that Colorado and SJ are the two teams most often associated with talks of relocating a current MLS franchise to Rochester.

Plus, the rumor mill had the Dallas Burn close to coming to Rochester a year ago before deals to play at Dragon Stadium and to build the SSS in Frisco were complete.

If PTP were up and running a year ago the Burn may not have stayed in the Dallas area.