Lateef Omidiji at Go Ahead Eagles (The Netherlands)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 20, 2014.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    @feyenoordsoccerfan

We are curious why young and prodigious Nigerian-American talent Latif Omidiji moved to Go Ahead Eagles from Feyenoord. Do you know why?

2. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I bet you his family got tired of two different academies for their kids. Different practice times, game times, etc. If Go Ahead will take both, when Feyenoord wouldn't it makes sense from that stand point. Younger brother isn't as good but they don't want him to drop so parents' are doing the best "compromise" they can.

Winoman repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread title updated.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  4. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #105 PhillyFury, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    You're probably right. But if I were the parent, and the older kid had more talent, I would try to accommodate him as much as possible. Practicing with what I assume would be better players at Feyenoord would benefit him more than at the other second division club. And if he were that great, I would imagine Feyenoord would take the younger brother just to keep the fantastically talented older one....

5. Darren Melia

Darren Melia Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The main reason for the move it that he will play U17s football for Go Ahead and this would not be the case at Feyenoord.

ChuckMe92, TxEx and justinpaul10 repped this.
  6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Now that's not a bad reason. If Go Ahead will have him playing up then leaving for that makes sense. If he can shine for the U-17, then U-19 before he's age eligible, then that's a faster path to first team football.

7. Darren Melia

Darren Melia Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thats his thinking, he is a really nice lad that has his head screwed on. Many would have just taken the easy option to stay at Feyenoord

Winoman repped this.
  8. Probably because Jamie Dunning is going to take that place in the Feyenoord U17 squad.

From the starsandstripes site:
    Netherlands

Jamie Dunning - Attacking Midfielder, Feyenoord

Dunning is set to leave FC Dallas to join Feyenoord this summer. He will join fellow dual national Lateef Omidiji in one of the best academies in the world. Dunning only recently turned 16, but he possesses an English passport which would allow him to sign anywhere in Europe. Yet another product of the FC Dallas system, Dunning is very technical and skilled on the ball. He had been trialing recently before Feyenoord decided to bring him aboard. He will start off with their U-17 team. Good luck Jamie!

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of pandering in this tweet, considering he didn't score the goal or feature otherwise in the actual game discussion:
    1022948911227576322 is not a valid tweet id

10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I don’t mind this scenario where he’s fawned over and prodded and pulled by the Nigerian Federation and media at such a young age. I think there’s a chance he gets tired of it and bails on them.

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    1023599293050093568 is not a valid tweet id

12. You're placing too much on his platter as his choice and ignore his scheming family. Everything in his tweets and interviews smells like his family are manipulating and scheming things in an effort to create a hype. I've got a surprise for them, they will fail.
    Ultimately he will be judged against fellow kids capacities and not by what they hyped.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he scored a couple of goals:

1036985629006077953 is not a valid tweet id

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  14. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #115 PhillyFury, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Hey, any update on this guy? With way too much free time on my hands, went thru some of the recent game reports, and, sparse as they are, don't see his name mentioned, although that is usually limited to the goalscorers. Just checked the Twitter account of what I assume is the sister. A tweet from 2017 hypes the younger brother as attracting the attention of none other than Real Madrid. Read somewhere above that the younger kid was considered the lesser talent of the two. Hmm.....Both, brothers, by the way, listed on the U17 and U13 teams....I guess my boy played against the younger brother....

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is your kid wanted by Barcelona? I smell a rivalry!

wixson7 and PhillyFury repped this.
  16. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I wish

17. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Far as I'm aware he's injured and that's why he's disappeared, for now.

18. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    TheFalseNine and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    PhillyFury repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Apparently they have big thumbs in Nigeria to suck up fake stories. There are no rules that prevent clubs from luring players from other academies, so the KNVB didnot block a move to Ajax/PSV.
    All theses stories appear to be an attempt by his management to create interest in him with clubs by throwing around interested high profile clubs. They've done that multiple tines in the past with him.

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  24. :ROFLMAO:
    And Dest his Godfather

butters59 repped this.