Last three matches of the 2014-15 season

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by AmericanMag, May 6, 2015.

1. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't do a poll as I can't be bothered, but I was wondering:

For those (two from my guess) that post in this forum do you support the ashley out campaign? If so, did/do you support the boycotts? And with all of the letters being sent out to the supporters in the past 72 hours or so (from the club, Coloccini, SJH, etc. etc. etc.) would you still boycott if you did or would you support the team in the hopes that it would make a difference and assure PL survival.

discuss...

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    It's hard to say. I've been following Newcastle for 20 years now, but from the USA. So I don't have the perspective of a hometown supporter.

I though Carver would be adequate enough to "get the team over the line" but didn't count on the squad basically quitting on him. It's hard to support the team when they are throwing it back in your face.

Ashley clearly isn't just going to sell up. And if he does it will be to either an American who doesn't know the Premier League and will be reviled, or an Arab who will try to pull a Man City. Not sure if either of these options would sit well with the supporters. Just like in the case of "Pardew Out": be careful what you wish for.

While the boycotts and bedsheets call attention to the problem, the fans don't have the answer. We're not in the boardroom, we don't control the purse strings and it would take 20-30,000 people not turning up at SJP for any action to put a dent in Ashley's wallet.

The goals of this management team have been spelled out, and the fan base is clearly against only trying for mediocrity. Stalemate. A second relegation probably won't be devastating enough, but failure to return to the PL at the first time of asking just might. Its inherently wrong, but we need to withhold support to force change. And be stout enough to live with the results. Only then we might get what is truly deserved. An ownership group with the brains to manage Newcastle like the top-20 European club it ought to be, based on the balance sheets and support.

If boycotting could achieve this, then I'm all for it. But Ashley is just stupid and pig-headed enough to ignore the obvious and plow on. And in the end I don't think there are enough fans willing to do what is necessary. So while I do support it, I don't think the results will be what we actually want to happen, and in the end it could be worse for us.

Thx,

Jay!

3. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    IMHO the fans of NUFC should try getting together in some kind of Supporters Trust posting money in a locally anchored consortium, similar to how Swanseas fans did a decade ago in their (succesful) attempt at getting rid of Tony Petty

4. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Post! I agree... although it does seem that the the boycotts that have taken place have had some effect prompting the club and captain to release statements. The use of "your club" is a bit of a slap in the face IMO. Like someone said somewhere... "Was it our club when the name changed to Sports Direct Arena? Was it our club when it was decided we won't make cup runs a priority?"

I agree with what you said in regards to a buyer... just don't see anyone meeting the number Ashley would be willing to sell for.

5. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did. The Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST) was created a few years back. Tried to start a drive called the "Yes We Can" initiative to buy the club from Ashley. Unfortunately, they weren't able to get a unanimous support. They are still around but really no real power behind them. They were part of the yearly "Fans Forum" but were kicked out for publishing the minutes to a meeting that weren't the official minutes from the club.

6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just two more draws in this 0-9-1 stretch would've been enough to be safe. A draw against bottom-table QPR would've avoided needing a victory on Sunday. Leicester should be good enough to foil our attempts to go down, but maybe they'll be thinking about their summer vacations. At least I don't expect to see a repeat of the Villa match in 2009, where you couldn't tell if they were fighting for their lives or not. It's a home match, so we know the fans won't allow it.

As for Cashley, even he should see that this is bad business. Continually looking to cut costs gets you up early on Sunday to find out if you are going to lose millions in revenue and investment value. I hope it hurts. Maybe he'll decide he'd rather own Rangers and be the biggest fish in a smaller pond. As for who takes over, anyone will do. No football sense, no problem. Anyone but him would hire competent football management and rely on them to make good decisions.

No reason to think they have a victory in them this weekend, so I'll be intently watching the score of the Hull match.

7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I fully expect it. There's not a one in the squad who deserves to play on Sunday.

Thx,

Jay!

8. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Perez, Janmaat, and Colback. Dummett too. Everyone else doesn't have the spine or they are past it (Jonas and RTaylor).

Really should be using Abeid in place of Taylor

9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect it'll be lackluster. Doesn't Hull have to beat Man U for there to be any danger at all? They'll go out there and play like crap knowing Hull won't win.

And that's my inner optimist speaking up about this season.

10. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern just lost to a bottom table side after clinching the Bundesliga. Man U can't change their position (4th) regardless of results, so they have nothing to play for. They will do their best to lose with a team of reserves. Bastards.

11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Janmaat got himself sent off the other week. In only what I can assume was an effort to show up the coach. Unprofessional.

I agree Carver's not the answer, but he was spot on about the sendings off.

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Man U are not stupid.
    Newcastle is a far more valuable asset to the Premiere League than Hull.
    They won't want to see Newcastle go down

13. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear the reign of CAshley will never end. No matter what, I don't see him selling. That in itself is frustrating because I feel that a long as he is in charge the club will never be allowed to win anything. My biggest problem with the club right now is I feel like I project more passion yelling at my TV than I see in the players on the field for the most past. I have no idea how the team will finish tomorrow but the current form does not have me feeling confident.

14. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the Ashley interview before the game change anyone's mind?

I am firmly in the "Wait and see as actions speak louder than words" camp but it was interesting to actually hear the man himself speak...

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    No. He was very wishywashy and apparently "win" doesn't really mean "win"

16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    He's a liar. Always looking up and to the left. I wonder if he just strong-arms people in the business world? Can't imagine someone sitting across a table from him and believing the words coming out of his mouth.

Thx,

Jay!

17. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought the same when the interview started and the eyes were going everywhere other than the direction of the person asking the questions.

The only positive that I am taking from this is that he came out and said "something". Now he is on record. If the same garbage continues and we find ourselves in the same situation come next season, the national media now have him (straight from the horses' mouth) on record.

It isn't much but I will take it.

JayRockers! repped this.
  18. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I liked most was that he says he will not be picking the next manager. Now if only I had more confidence in Charnley.

19. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only one match, but they did indeed show heart on Sunday. Part of it was needing to attack until the first goal was scored, knowing a draw was as good as a loss, but they gave it their all from start to finish. Let's face it, a lot of their limitations are not only due to effort. Cisse, Riviere, and Cabella, to name a few, just can't give us what we need.

JayRockers! repped this.