Las Vegas is Viable II

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DANNO49, May 27, 2014.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was because local government shot it down at the time, lots of cities have come back from the dead with new plans as of late

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they want to upgrade Cashman Field.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cashman is in a good spot. Not perfect, but if done correctly will work I think . It’s centrally located enough to work. Other recent bids have been approved with more inferior locations when looking at city scapes to be sure

5. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "LV" label has a lot more name recognition than similar small/medium cities. I cannot see how Garber could pass it over if it checks off the boxes.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vegas was always the bid that could literally be thrown together over a drunken billionaire weekend, but with the city pushing the envelope this time, its gonna be tough to say no to them.

Nashville, Miami 2020
    Sac, Austin 2021
    St Louis, Vegas 2022......maybe 2023? If they wanted to they could do 2022, Vegas puts up stuff super fast, thats their m.o.

........Then maybe Phoenix and Charlotte? I hardly would think Phoenix would be dead man walking even if Vegas got a team. It would still fill a similar demographic hole that Charlotte would. Both of them would unquestionably close out the southeast and southwest though.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Louis was dead a few months ago. I can foresee San Diego and Detroit coming back from the dead.

Is there any practical way that San Diego could share with Los Xolos? It's only 4 miles from the border.

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facebook official, vegas is favorite for #30

10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    The RJ is just a stupid Adelson puppet. It’s so embarrassing. I feel like Foley’s “bid” is just some kind of PR, no? Isn’t he angling to join the downtown bid? He doesn’t have any relationship with the Raiders and MLS won’t be a tenant in a huge dome.

Which brings me to my next point, is anybody else on this thread a Vegas resident? Because if not I’ll just keep my comments to myself.

antnee7898 repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lived there twelve years, most of my family is there. I’d love to see Vegas get a team

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  12. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Not upgrade. Tear down and build new. I talked to LV Lights owner Brett Lashbrook the other night.

13. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Yes I've lived in Vegas for 7 years and I'm a LV Lights STH.

14. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015

I don't like Ed Graney's attitude toward MLS. He seems to definitely be one of those MLS naysayers who will pull out things that are not in context or outright skew it. He wrote a piece titled something like "Las Vegas Doesn't Need MLS" just after the announcement. He brings up stuff about teams losing money and attendances are bad. He doesn't mention SUM income for owners etc. Skews things inaccurately negative. I certainly don't read him regularly so I don't know if he's ever thrown that Szymanski Ponzi scheme BS in the mix but I wouldn't doubt it. He is at least anti MLS and probably anti soccer despite his denials.

noel R repped this.
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yep. I feel like someone told him to write it like that for the RJ.

noel R repped this.
  16. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    Whenever a basher starts out with I like soccer, it's a huge sign of weakness and I usually go for the kill. I sent him 3 emails for the 3 separate radio segments he ran bashing MLS. Called him out on his half truths and hypocrisy. He finally responded with a weak " appreciate your support for my radio program " So I emailed editor with a complaint.

OWN(yewu)ED and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  17. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    As for Foley, he just wants to sabotage the deal the mayor is working on with the Lights. If he was serious he wouldn't have suggested Taxpayer NFL stadium.

18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Ed Graney’s article was just click bate. Embarrassing journalism. And totally agree on Foley, he isn’t really serious.

Nevertheless it seems there’s a lot of weight behind the Lights’ bid with the city to build on the Cashman site. I’m cautiously optimistic.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else surprised Phoenix isn’t coming out guns blazing right now to make everyone forget about Vegas? They have to know the dangers of a team making aggressive moves in Vegas to their own

20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #1096 Rahbiefowlah, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    No dome, no laundry

21. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Good for you. Those types need to feel pressure. They're dishonest. And resentful of soccer's growth.

22. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015
    They were planning on some sort of cooling system involving water features or something. I would have to experience it to believe it. Its hotter than Vegas there.

23. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    Steve Cofield is the other basher in town trying to sway public opinion with lies and missing details. He has an interview with Mark raw SDSU raw Ziegler out of SD on the failed Soccer city proposal. Sent email complaints on those two also. I find if you call them on their lies , they use those lies less often and sometimes even stop entirely. The guy at field of schemes has almost completely stopped referring to MLS as a Ponzi scheme.

24. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    I meant rah not raw.