Largest Margin of Victory Ever?

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by theworm2345, Mar 27, 2006.

1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Does anyone know what it is, in a professional match of course
    I know Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 once (Football or Rugby score :eek:) Is this the largest?

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Can't remember the exact details, as I read it ages ago somewhere. Hopefully someone knows more about it...

In one match, a team was so angered by a decision that they spend the rest of the match scoring own goals in protest. I believe they hit triple figures. :eek:

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    There have been some big wins in the asian federation .
    I think Iran clocked up some huge wins versus the likes of the maldive islands.

4. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    That was a club match in Mozambique, I think. At least I hope it is, because otherwise I have no idea what I'm thinking of.

EDIT - It was in Madagascar. 149 OGs for one goal every 35 seconds.

5. West 'am 'till I die

West 'am 'till I die BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 28, 2006
    London
    Didn't Australia give sum Pacific Island team a proper hammering???? maybe 4-5 years ago

6. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    I do know Ajax hold the record for largest margin in the Uefa Cup(wouldn't be surprised if it also is the largest margin in any EuropeCup) for beating Red Boys Differdange with 14-0 at home in '84.

7. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another big margin: Arbroath 36-0 Bon Accord in the Scottish Cup 1st round on Sept 12, 1885.

Bon Accord was really the Orion Cricket Club which got the invitation to play by mistake (should have gone to Orion football club) but decided to play anyway. The ref also disallowed 6 more Arbroath goals. John Petrie, who scored 13 goals in the match, also holds the record for the most individual goals scored in a senior game. It is said that Jim Milne, the Arbroath keeper, didn't touch the ball once during the match.

Dundee Harp ran them close on the same day, by beating Aberdeen Rovers 35-0.

Note: that there are disagreements about how many goals were really disallowed.

8. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    17-0 in 97.

six goals by ali daei (i think.)

that was the most in an international match until australia's game.

9. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I would have loved to have seen the headlines the next day.

10. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The score was 149-0? :eek:

11. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    The largest margin of victory in Mexico's 1st division was 14 goals. It was a game disputed between Veracruz 14 - 0 Monterrey. Interesting (and sad) to note that on sept 15, 45, Monterrey was heading to Guadalajara and their bus caught on fire. It killed 2 players and about half of the team was burnt pretty bad. They did not have enough players. Other teams had to loan them players to finish the season. The 14-0 game occured later in the season in 1946. That season, Monterrey allowed 133 goals (in 30 games).

The biggest margin of vistory in Mexico's professional leagues was a game between Tampico-Madero and Truenos de Acuna in 1995. Tampico-Madero had a team in the 3rd division. They slaughtered Acuna 29-0. Ramon Arroyo scored 17 goals in that game