Landon says the '02 team "was far ahead of" the '14 team

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Karl K, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Whatever he says, Klinsmann is here to stay. Now we just have to watch and see if he integrates US-based young players into the main team program, or continues bringing in dual-nationals and naturalized kids to patch over the holes.

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I honestly don't think so. I do wonder, though, what the core vets will think this cycle, and if they won't begin to tire of him.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He essentially said everything I've been saying - right down to why we scored the goal against Belgium

The_Dude and Tejas repped this.
  4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing ******** Donovan. What has he ever done for US team or soccer? Brad Davis was a great selection! Joe Gyau and Green will be 10 times the player Donovan was, I just know it!

5. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan with another parting shot, addresses the elephant in the room, that Jurgen seemed to do an about face after the Turkey game, which is fine BUT he didnt even bring the right players to execute the change.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...actically-the-team-was-not-set-up-to-succeed/

“They were set up in a way that was opposite from what they’ve been the past couple years, which is opening up, passing, attacking – trying to do that. And the team’s been successful that way. Why they decided to switch that in the World Cup, none of us will know. From a playing standpoint, I think the guys will probably be disappointed in the way things went.”

I think its a fair point, but Jurgen must have just talked himself into the fact that we couldnt really win playing wide open, I think its such a delicate balance, you play wide open and lose to Ghana 3-1 its devastating. He played it safe and we got our knockout round game.

6. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    Green is off to a better start...

flyerhawk repped this.
  7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon is really stepping into Alexi and Wynaldas shoes well. they constantly rip on the team and look to put their stamp on it. He could do well at being a pundit. Criticism is fun and he will do well at it.

8. matador11

matador11 Member

Jun 21, 2000
    South Florida
    Conveniently omitted the 3-1 loss to a Polish team that was superior to, uhm, no one the US played in WC 2014.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the injury to Jozy is missing from Landon's analysis. The new set up was very successful against Turkey and Nigeria and even partially so against Mexico.

Li mu bei repped this.
  10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also has absolutely no player in our pool that can play like Jozy. None. No one. To say so is ridiculous.
    We still got through and did well without him. Oh what could have been.

But whatever. We move on.

Li mu bei and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  11. CarlosE

CarlosE Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Calvert County, MD
    #161 CarlosE, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    No he's not.

In LD's first-ever match with the USMNT he scored in a 2-0 win over Mexico. In Green's first-ever match with the USMNT, he also coincidentally played against Mexico, but he shit his pants by making numerous turnovers, bad passes, dribbled till he lost the ball, etc.

In LD's first WC, he scored 2 goals, led the team in shots on goal (7), started all five games, and helped lead his team to the quarterfinals.

Stupid remark.

ceezmad, Berks, eddygee and 16 others repped this.
  12. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    I don't remember a 19 year old LD scoring a World Cup goal on his first touch.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Did Pele score a World Cup goal with his first touch?

Berks and Sports Fan Stan repped this.
  14. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    I guess when you've been shown to have been so terribly wrong, you simply change what your assertion was.

Berks and mbar repped this.
  15. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    Nope. But did score a World Cup goal as a 17 year old. Slight nod for Pele over Green at this stage of their careers.

16. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    I didn't change anything. Green is off to a better start in his career than LD. That is not debatable.

17. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're going to compare LD and Green, we need to establish what the parameters are.
    Better start to his international career? LD for his goal vs. Mexico in his first match.
    Better start to his professional career? Green for hacking it in Germany at Bayern.

18. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The green LD thing has to go away. Good lord. different players.

luftmensch repped this.
  19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Actually, Donovan scored and got an assist in his very first cap.

In his first WC match he caused an OG. He then scored two that tournament.

20. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Haha ya not debatable. Such sound logic and sample size. Laterz man

21. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    Just a factual statement on my part.

22. PascalCygan

PascalCygan Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Dont really see how what Donovan has said is even debatable. 02 had 4 wide midfielders better than anything we brought to Brazil and a better striker than anything we have been able to produce since then .

zhe fulano and Redmen Rule repped this.
  23. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD is just being ridiculously bitter now. He really must not want to have a testimonial or be a part of this team as long as Jurgen is coach. Dude could win the golden boot and still wouldn't get called up now. He does bring up valid points, but he has to let it go. It's getting ridiculous.

Li mu bei and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Actually, it's actually a COUNTER-FACTUAL statement.

Berks repped this.
  25. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    http://us.soccerway.com/matches/2014/04/03/world/friendlies/united-states-of-america/mexico/1649063/

Green subbed in USA Mexico match. Did not score.

If one uses the criteria that a better start to a career is scoring on the first touch in the World Cup then this is saying he's better than Messi, Maradona, Ballack, Ronaldinho, both Ronaldos, Romario, a lot of people. This may well have not happened before or it may have. But I think starting matches would be just as much of a benchmark for success. So at this point, we can't tell.

Berks and Mr Martin repped this.