Landon not included in World Cup qualifying roster(per SI)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Good thing I hit unignore - yep, it turned out later that he was sick. Thankfully Klinsmann randomly throw Altidore under the bus again.

And I'll still take Donovan ahead of Johnson or Zusi in that starting XI.

2. Mestes

Mestes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for reminding me that there really are shameless people on the earth.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm surprised you don't own a mirror.

Altidore has been kicked out by Klinsmann for less. See October 2012. Unless you're referring to Donovan? I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of people decided he sucked in late April when Klinsmann said the magic words.

4. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was referring to "Thankfully Klinsmann randomly throw Altidore under the bus again."

..as in you pointing out Klinsmann was shameless. It doesn't matter of course.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta recognize the good, and the not so good to be balanced. Today was the not so good. Good touches in midfield, but not enough up top. He needs to be more clinical in the final third. Not a good game today.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see nothing has changed, he has become a good DP role player. Maybe he gets his Mojo back in the GC.

7. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not been a fan of Zusi at all, but these last two matches I thought he's been quite good. His work rate is dare I say LD like. This is a great for the team as the 2013 LD is not getting back in the starting 11 anytime soon unless he regains 2010 form.

Statman repped this.
  8. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had a thought that I posted in another thread. If this has been touched on before I apologize.

I don't think anyone would disagree that Landon hasn't yet regained his consistency. However we all know he will regain form if he is truly enjoying the game again. Jurgen is not a stupid man. Is it possible the Gold Cup call up is simply to see if Landon is genuinely committed and not a "test of form" so to speak?

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm sure that's part of it. JK also said from the beginning that LD would have to work his way back on the team and the GC is a means for him to do that and for JK to show everyone he meant what he said.

I don't think for one second JK doesn't believe LD, even in his current form, would not improve this team. I can't imagine he wouldn't rather be starting, or subbing on, Donovan instead of Davis or Johnson.

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is the case folks should be encouraged to know he once again stated to multiple media outlets today that he is very excited and looking forward to playing at the Gold Cup.

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi was pretty decent in this game. No where near LD at his best. It is arguable whether today's LD is as good as Zusi, but LD certainly has a chance to displace Zusi even if his current form is all that he has.

Berks repped this.
  12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    So, if that is the case as to what JK doesn't believe, then that is probably not the best approach to the WCQs in June, imo.

(Whatever the case, it is looking like JK has enough healthy and in-form bodies available -- as of now, for the matches on June 7, 11 and 18. And with LD likely set for the GC, hopefully guys like Davis and Johnson will be able to make positive contributions to the qualifying campaign this month when/if they are indeed given minutes by JK. And I would imagine those minutes will arrive in these next 3 games.)

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to sadly admit, I'm not convinced Landon will ever be on the "A" team again - even after the Gold Cup. I'm not convinced he will make the final 23 (is it?) for the Gold Cup roster. I just don't think Klinsi values his contributions enough and LD currently is not doing enough to "make it hard for him to leave me off."

14. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't disagree, but he obviously thinks he's ok for these next three qualifiers. It is what it is at this point.

As to Johnson and Davis - I hope they can contribute if they get the chance, but I really don't want to see either one on a WC 23. Johnson has no soccer brain. Davis is too timid and slow. Maybe he can gain confidence and improve on the former, but I still think WC level is beyond him.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think Fabian Johnson at this point is almost a lock for the WC, right behind Jones, Bradley, Dempsey and Altidore. While indeed he lacks a soccer brain and some of the stuff he does leaves me scratching my head, he's quite good with the ball, and can control the tempo on his wing.

16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I meant Eddie Johnson.

17. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD's inclusion on the GC roster makes me want to propound a crazy theory: Maybe JK doesn't have a personal vendetta for LD, or feel the need to show the world who's boss, or lack any understanding of player selection, but just left him off the June roster because he sincerely thought LD wasn't ready for international level play after the long layoff.

Statman and orcrist repped this.
  18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then don't say crazy things about his skillset relative to others. Just say he's not ready.

The way Landon's been talking he will be at the gold cup come hell or highwater. This hopefully will be a non-issue by September.

19. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “I don’t see him ready yet to come back into our group" - Klinsmann.

Edit: P.S. Where is the stuff about the skillset relative to others? I didn't see that quote.

Statman repped this.
  20. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Maybe Monday is making me cynical, but this just immediately popped to mind...

21. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooo... Landon needs to be celibate? :D

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    That certainly isn't a crazy theory.

(Although I would suggest it is crazy -- and likely wrong -- of JK if he actually believes in June 2013 that "LD wasn't (isn't) ready for international level play." And it certainly would have been interesting to perhaps, in some alternate universe, see LD take the field in the BEL or GER friendlies to offer evidence or counter-evidence to JK's thoughts on LD's readiness.)

It could certainly be #4 above, without it being any of 1, 2 or 3.

But I tend to think it that even if it honestly was #4, it leaves open the real possibility that most or all of 1, 2 and 3 played a role in JK's thinking to arrive at "sincere" option #4.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I really didn't see him slotting in as flanker the way Klinsmann had been demanding the position be played. If the flankers are playing in the manner as against Germany however then Donovan needs a starting berth on either side.

24. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you're saying the one that didn't abandon the team at a critical moment is equal in form to the one that did?

25. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Abandon ?????

Isn't it weird how the use of a word can change the whole concept of a sentence.

try this:

So you're saying that the one who was injured is equal in form to (put your favorite players name here),who wasn't.

deuteronomy, StillKickin and tab5g repped this.