Landon Donovan: What's Next?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by SoccerKowboy, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oezil scored one goal during the last WC...he must be shit! :rolleyes:

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well you could try to compare Milner's production with Landon's in the Premier League last season since that will give a common frame of reference and a more representative sample size of minutes than the World Cup will give you. They played on similar quality teams so that won't skewer the numbers, but they played in different positions. Donovan's sample size might be a bit too small but the strength of opposition for Landon was also much higher than it would have been during a full season, so I'm not sure these numbers would have dropped much over a full season.

Milner had roughly 0.2 goals/90 minutes (0.11 if you discount penalties) and 0.34 assists/90 minutes last season.

Donovan had roughly 0.27 goals/90 minutes and 0.41 assists/90 minutes last season.

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    By your line of logic, you probably also wouldn't trade Landon for Messi!

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think many of you forget that Donovan would also be occupying a foreigner's spot. Milner won't.

5. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    "Foreigner's spot" is a little inaccurate. I believe Fabio and Rafael of Man Utd will qualify as two of the eight "home-growns" next season.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would Donovan?

7. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Pienaar is on the last year of his contract. Arteta just signed a new long-term deal, not Pienaar (I don't think I would miss a Pienaar deal, but I have been living at work lately).

I was saying that Everton miss a 100 percent Fellaini because his skillset differs to that of the rest of Everton's midfield. (I'm sorry for randomly throwing him in there and causing confusion...kind of hard to type on my iPhone and get all my thoughts out coherantly).

I was also saying that for this same reason I think LD fits in perfectly. They could really use his speed on the wings, like they could use a healthy Fellaini's grit at midfield.

8. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    No, you are pretty much right. I seriously doubt Pienaar is going anywhere now though, not unless there is a stupidly high offer. Everton/Moyes are prepared to let him leave for free next summer if he refuses to sign. Already turned down a bid for him from a massive club.

Anyways, I don't think anyone will be leaving or coming in at Goodison now. Noone is really willing to spend big money, and thats what it would take to buy any of our available players really. Valuations between buying and selling clubs are so far apart in most of the possible transfers right now.

Only possibility is if West Ham sell Carlton Cole and come back in for Yakubu (though they claim to have ended their interest in him..)

January or bust for any possible LD ---> EFC deal imo.

9. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    You have to think that it's all but a foregone conclusion that a loan deal will be completed in the winter unless somehow a permanent transfer is worked out between the Galaxy and some other club.

10. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think this was pretty obvious considering he is in season but from LD's twitter...

landondonovan RT @iamatweeterby: @landondonovan Rumor has it that u r going to be on DWTS? I want to at some point but can't this year...I'm too tired!

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Pardon me for being an idiot, but what is DWTS?

12. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    'Dancing with the Stars,' I'm guessing.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOL...OMG!!!!!!!!! That would be epic!! Yes, please....Landon, please do it, do it, do it!!!!

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yikes.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He's become our first legit soccer celebrity.

16. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then maybe you can post more funny pictures!!! LOL!

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Please do not sacrifice a permanent move abroad this winter for Dancing with the Stars. Wait until after you lead the US to glory in 2014. ;)

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'm pretty sure Appoo and Bungadiri would PM me with warnings before the 1st episode even aired if LD ever agreed to go on the show. ;)

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if he would do a loan deal in January if a permanent move doesn't happen. 3 years without a break might be getting old. He's probably ready for some downtime and a loan just might not be attractive enough at this point.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was discussed earier in this thread but I believe the original Dancing With The Stars is from England. Hmmmm...

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yea, he really needs an extended nap, and next summer looks to be an important one for the national team...and I think he realizes it's going to the national team and not the club team that's going to allow him to push the US Soccer on the radar the most.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the twitter: Landon answers iamatweeterby and says" I want to at some point but can't this year.....I'm too tired!

So he's not doing it, thank God. Not that the Galaxy would have let him. No way.

It's going to be interesting now that Landon has learned how to twitter. As he says, "Life is over as I know it." [He's no longer just using his facebook posts - he's actually twittering.]

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Sounds reasonable as he's had only 5 weeks off since January 2009, and even then you can assume he was getting back into shape by the middle of December last year.

Hopefully he takes his time and makes a permanent transfer at the end of January 2011 so he has an 8-9 week break.

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys really want him in Europe, heh.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm happy with him in LA. I can be there in 3 hours and watch him play.