PBP: Landon Donovan: VFB Stuttgart v Bayern - German Cup 1/27/09 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by HouseHead78, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Have to agree with this. The game was over already and he missed an opportunity, but if he continues to miss opportunities like that then i dont think a transfer will be in order IMO. Certainly wasnt a sitter but by LD's standards and BM's standards that should have been in the back of the net. The run he made by acouple of defenders and the layoff to ribery was really nice, would have been nicer if ribery wanted the ball though.

2. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, the miss wasn't that bad. Even so, players miss shots all the time, and all his good work to start the counter, run back and get in position for that shot will not be wiped away by a flub of a one timer. He's shown he can finish.

Miss three more of these in a row and then you can worry. I doubt we'll see that. Anyway, if Podolski is definitely out in the summer, I think Lando will get a contract. I think the Olic signing is about depth.

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I regret having hit the "view post" button. won't make that mistake again.

Funny, said troll has been absent on all the game threads up to now. Because praising LD would be against his religion. And up to now, LD hasn't taken one wrong step.

Today, Donovan could have done better, but came in under difficult circumstances (a 5-0 blowout) and so it's very hard to impress at that point when the team is just basically trying to maintain possession and ride it out. He got a few things going and messed up a few things. But he didn't look lost or in over his head by any stretch of the imagination.

4. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jesus Christ, it wasn't that bad. Did you even watch it?

5. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

I love the guy but he has about much credibility when it comes to Landon as Bin Laden does in praising the USA.

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    He's just saving it for when it counts.

Kind of like when another famous Lando messed up at first by letting Vader take Leia, only to make up for it by using Lobot to coordinate a sneak attack rescue.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

All you need to know is the SFS ignored the threads regarding LD when there was only positive things to report

8. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoted for truth.

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're being more pessimistic than a German - we have problems.

10. FC Funkotron

FC Funkotron Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Austin, El Paso, New York
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A world class striker would have hit the ball off the crossbar only to bicycle kick the rebound into the upper 90 torching the net. Bayern would be better off getting Olic who is unquestionably superior to Landon in this ability. Of course, I haven't seen the game itself, but I can assure you that my analysis is inrefutable. The game report makes no mention of Landon fragmenting the particle space around him thus simultaneously scoring a goal and blocking a goal at the other end. With this, I have enough evidence to suggest that Landon Donovan is a failure.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Reminds me of the video game i used to play in bolivia that i only saw over there on Neo-Geo Arcades, Superside kicks 3 baby!

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yup.

I got the stream with 2:0 up and watched every second of Donovan's action.

And his lack of desire to keep the ball when that was needed was Germany Part Trois.

BTW, to the nitwits (and god knows Big Soccer has a bunch of them) who said that I didn't post comments on his other Bayern game threads ... well, I didn't watch those games, except the goals, and the goals were very well taken (the last vs. Mainz was GK's fault, obviously).

But it was against crappy competition who often was their 2nd team by the time Donovan made his appearance.

So those games meant nothing.

This game meant nothing to the scoreline (having entered the game at 5:0), so him not scoring wasn't the prime concern. Strikers miss better chances.

But his unwillingness to hold the ball was a "vintage" scared Donovan, the one we all remember from the 2006 World Cup.

Of course, his cheerleaders only admitted his faulures after Landon admitted them himself.

Now, you decide who the troll is.

13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did pass the ball a bit too quickly, refusing to hold most times, probably because he was nervous. But I think all those passes were good passes, including a couple of correct give and gos with Ribery that Franck didn't have the heart to go after.

14. FC Funkotron

FC Funkotron Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Austin, El Paso, New York
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you're seen as a troll in the sense that (and I wouldn't say it's an outrageous assumption) you want to see Landon fail. If only to prove that you were right.
    From your posts; even on the threads he does well, you either:

a) offer backhanded compliments to landon without actually applauding his efforts
    or
    b) dismiss him completely and only pat yourself on the back when his play fits your presupposition of him.

We all do this to some degree with what we believe to be absolute truths. This only proves you're human. I'm not attacking you. Just understand as to how such errant criticism (notice the qualifier before criticism) can be seen as trolling. Again, criticism is fine. But when the evidence and history of your posts shows a tendency to ignore the "glass half full" scenarios, one can only assume you've ultimately made your decision about Landon regardless of what he does.

15. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My $0.02, the chance he had was not a sitter by any means. There was a defender positioned so that he could not shoot anywhere but the right post and had to do so with the outside of his foot. I've see highly regarded players miss easier chances.

Not a great outing but he came in 5-0 which was tough. Also keep in mind that he and Ribery have had few minutes on the pitch. If those two can gel, wow!

16. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like he was back passing the ball when he had space. He had multiple defenders coming down on him. Is he supposed to hold it until they take it? I guess as long as he's holding it right? :rolleyes:

I'm not pretending to be Landon's biggest fan but, like the "cheerleaders" your whining about, you're drawing a conclusion based on a limited body of work. Not to mention you're blowing his "negative" play way out of proportion. Did Toni turn it over? Oh, I guess he's not Bayern quality then, they better get rid of him. I hate that I'm feeding the troll but this guy takes this to a whole new level.

And just for the record, I don't think there is any doubt about who the troll is here. Nobody here has been singing Landon's praises about this match. You seem to be reading what you want to see as opposed to what's actually written. Maybe you should go re-read some of the thread?

17. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    [​IMG]

18. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Yawn, I have been accused as a Landon hater. The reason you are the suck on Landon threads is because you want him to fail. You have zero credibility when it comes to Landon.

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch one second of the match, not one lick. But having some understanding about BigSoccer nature in this particular forum, there is quite a bit of evidence suggesting that people here are using their keyboards as instruments for overreaction on the negative side of things.

The next match is coming soon. :eek:
    Relax and have a spot of tea.

20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying this match was like a dream come true for you?

21. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must spread.......

22. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you can judge much based on this performance. The game was already over and Bayern weren't too concerned with pushing toward the goal by the time he came in, so how do you judge a forward's performance? He had the one chance, didn't finish it, but calling it a sitter is misleading and simply looking for points to criticize.

23. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i recommend the ignore list.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    a few comments:
    I watched the game, and it was over by the time Landon entered. He was fine- neither good nor bad. But that was true of both teams by that point. The game was over.
    SFS has never played soccer but Googles everything and will spend hours looking factoids up. That still does not mean he knows anything about the playing of soccer. He is now on my ignore list, so it is interesting to watch nearly every single thread devolve into angry "discussions" about him and his "ideas". Didn't everybody have a kid like this in their 4th grade class? Usually people grow out of it, but apparently not always. Use the ignore list and don't feed the troll.

25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. That was simply a small bit of exercise for LD. A chance to trot (not run) around. It wasn't competitive soccer by the time he came in. Sure, he should have put that shot on frame. But, in a competitive game, he probably would have.