News: Landon Donovan = Top WC Goal Scorer in CONCACAF

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Lithium858, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    ANOTHER thread about donovan?

pls......

there is nothing more to prove...the guy is good....one thread is enough:eek:

3. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
  4. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Yes and No. For most of CONCACAF´s history there was only one WC berth, which Mexico (who didn´t have a fully professional league and were weak at the time) almost always took. Better players who starred at Barcelona and Atletico Madrid in the 1940s-50s never went to the World Cup, so as far as World Cup history, yes.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    solo ESE MUNDIAL! Top WC Goal Scorer in CONCACAF

no hay duda alguna!!
    luis hernandez fue el mejor esa Temporada, pero su caida fue rapida y hacia El pronto retiro.

6. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    El Matador scored four in one WC, did that make him the best player in Concacaf?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From 1997 to 1998 Luis Hernandez was a key player for Mexico.

Landon Donovan has been a key player for the US for a lot longer.

8. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
  9. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    I know Does hernandez get extra points for getting all 4 in 1 world cup :D

10. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    yes and no?

you should go into politics my man:D

I don`t think neither Donovan or lius Hernandez are two of the greatest Concacaf players ever.

In Donovans case he has never won a trophy of any importance and he has never proved himself in a top club/league for longer than 6 months

11. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    That´s what modding is all about;)

CONCACAF has/has had great club players (Hugo Sanchez, Alejandro Morera Soto, Dwight Yorke, Jorge Gonzales, David Suazo, etc.) but most did next to nothing for their national teams. On the other hand, Donovan and Hernandez did well in international tournaments but didn´t accomplish much clubwise outside of their countries. Wanchope, McBride, and Marquez were a few who were decent at both. The bar just isn´t very high.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probalby the best 2!

LD the best National team player in concacaf how about that?

13. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Makes sense. He´s lifted the Gold Cup, led the US to a silver in the Confederations Cup, and took them to both the second round and Quarterfinals of the World Cup.

14. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I thought the same haha

15. bandito_chivas

bandito_chivas New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    idaho
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just can't wait to see what javier "chicharito" hernandez does in the next two world cups
    that guys is a beast
    we'll see if he can lead mexico further in the future and how many goals he can get in those world cups
    he already has 2 goals in the world cup, in which he SHOULD have started, but didn't

16. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

I called Chicharito the best player in Concacaf, before he was signed by Manchester United, or the world knew who he was. I forgot what thread it was in this Concacaf sub-forum. I still believe he's the best player in this region.

Challenged only by; Ruiz, Guardado, Landon, Vela, and Dos Santos.

No one in Concacaf right now could have scored a goal like he did against Argentina. That goal is a serious, no nonsense type of goal. Only real motherfuckers score goals like that, in a stage like that, against a team like that. I'm basing all this on his form for months now, he just finds a way to score virtually every time. Kid is amazing.

As for the topic at hand, LD is the real deal, I respect him as a player. Americas greatest player, ever.

17. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Why is Vela on your list? Its a little early to crown Chicharito the best already but he is definitely already in contention.

18. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Everyone say's it's early, but he's been scoring lots of goals for Chivas, a respectable team, in a respectable league.

On top of that, he's scoring lots of goals for the National team. He has two world cup goals at 22.

You see, my opinion of him isn't based on the fact that Chicha was signed by Manchester United. My opinion was like this before he signed, when he was scoring up the ass at Chivas.

If he was scoring at a good to average rate at Chivas I wouldn't think about naming him the best. However, Chicharito was ripping that league, it took a handicap of I don't know how many games for the rest of the strikers in the league to catch up after Chicha had left to train for the World Cup.

19. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Reading some of your other post on Chicharito and knowing how Mexican fans feel about him I won't really try to convince you its to early to crown him the best in CONCACAF. I really just responded because the Vela pick for best in the region was surprising. Yeah he's at Arsenal but that can't be enough. His performances for club and country leave a lot to be desired. Yeah Vela's young so clearly he will improve but right now he is only potentially a good player for the future. Vela unlike the others on the list has yet to have the break out performance at the senior level.

20. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    Fair enough on Vela, he disappears sometimes. Still, I can't think of anyone that plays on the far left wing that would be a better option then him, besides Guardado maybe.

When healthy, I would rather have him at the right over anyone else.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the full year yes Chicharo was a beast scoring goals for Chivas.

But if you only count Clausura 2010 Gomez scored the same amount of goals with less minutes, but nobody would think Gomez is the best in concacaf.

I do not think Chicharo is the best. But in a year or two he probably will be.

Also Gio is my favorite Player, but he is not anywhere near to being the best in concacaf. He has potential, but he has not done anything worth being on this list (well maybe the Sub-17 championship). We can not say best in concacaf just based on Potential, because Altidore has lots of potential but he is not doing shit right now.

22. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    Again, Man U were willing to bet on Chicharito before whe WC and not on Gomez.

Gio has sparked interest from AC Milan while currently playing for Hot Spurs.

Both have proven their quality on the world stage and that's why the top teams in Europe want them on their team.

23. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Chicharito, yes.

Giovanni, no. There is a reason why Barca, Spurs and Gala have let go of him.

24. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The difference is Chicharo did it with Chivas and Gomez scored them with Puebla. Its harder to perform on a big club than a small one. Where do you think the Honduran Ramon Nuñez found it harder to play well? Puebla or Cruz Azul? Its the same in any league in the world. Where did David Suazo find it harder to play? Cagliari or Inter de Milan

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is right, that was my point, scoring goals for Chivas is not the same as scoring goals for FC Twente (Ruiz). So we can not say Hernadez is the best for that.

He is looking good; if he has a few good years at Man U then he can be in the best of concacaf argument.

Going back to the Original topic, LD has one, maybe two more world cups in the future, I do wonder how many goals will he score?

2002 2 (20y)
    2006 0 (24y)
    2010 3 (28y)
    2014 ? (32y)
    2018 ? (36y)
    Total 5

Hernandez has about 3 more WC in the future, how many will he score?

2010 2 (22y)
    2014 ? (26y)
    2018 ? (30y)
    2022 ? (34y)
    2026 ? (38y)
    Total 2

It will be interesting to see if Hernandez can score more WC goals than LD, I am thinking he will, since he is a forward and LD is a midfielder (with the NT).