Rumor: Landon Donovan to PSG on loan!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by new_skin, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an interesting point. I am no expert in the Russian league, but I don't think that this is necessarily true, at least the reaility of it (as opposed to perception). Howard, Friedel, Bocanegra, Dempsey, Ryan Nelson and possibly Altidore is a pretty good success record, I would say. Jo and several others show that highly successful Russian League products don't alway work out either.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    who are the several others?

Arshavin is in England right now, he is pretty good... Palyuchenko hasnt done well (altho he did get 15 goals last year)

Chelsea brought in Zhirkov this summer...

they are about 50% right now over the last 12 months...

3. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I totally agree about the reality of MLS success. I've posted a few other times that the number of failures from MLS into Euro leagues (inc. England) is quite low.

In UK, I can only think of perhaps Simon Elliott and EJ, whereas the successes have been numerous, be they at clubs that purchased the players or elsewhere in England. DMB might be a special case, since he's not done well in UK, but was brought in as a PSV product not an MLS product.

I've also said that someday, some Euro manager will figure out that MLS produces decent players, although not world beaters as of yet, and spend $10 mm for about 6 or 8 players, assuming no immigration issues, and will be viewed as a genius for tapping this market. You would think someone would look at Wigan and say "hmm, maybe I should really be considering CONCACAF and skip buying Championship players at 5x the cost." Nope. Fear rules the day still.

If you're a manager who spends $10mm at Spurs or Man City on a Russian product who fails, it will be understood. If you're a manager who spends $10mm at Everton on an MLS product who fails, it will not be as easily understood. If you spend $10mm on an Englishman who fails, then you're a bargain-shopper.

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't know how Jo's 5 goals in 11 games at Everton last season is not working out. Take any of our players, have them adapt for half a season, then score 5 in 11, we'd be listing them as a great success. So if Jo is a measure of not working out, then Donovan might not work out either. I think Donovan is perfect for the EPL though, looking forward to seeing him on FSC.

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Russia's great run during the Euro's last summer as well as the form of the current WCQM added with the success CSKA a few years back and currently Zenit and Shakhtar Donetsk in European competitions (UEFA Cup) certainly to add some value as well. However, this is by no means a guarantee that they will succeed outside of the Russian League.

I would think Arshavin is a prime example of their success. Zhirkov and Tymo at Bayern will also be used as guages to measure up.

Frankly, what Arshavin is accomplishing at the PL level will be a difficult shoe to fill.

6. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Jo may not be much, but Vidic, Skrtel, and Arshavin are all EPL players of high caliber, and the success of Russian clubs in European competition recently (Zenit a couple years back, one of the Moscow clubs winning the UEFA Cup, etc) also highlights well.

That said, I imagine if all things were equal, Donovan's pedigree and success might outweigh the age difference, so presumably this is not as simple as choosing A over B; the loan issues, expected role and playing time, resale value, wages, and lots of other aspects are probably in play here.

7. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Not to nitpick too much, and this is probably an accurate reflection of how many in England will think of it, but Donetsk is not actually a Russian club - Ukrainian...

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    WEll, he can't be on the roster of three teams during a single year, but does that mean he can be bought, loaned back, then brought in again? I mean, it's only two teams, but it is three moves.
    As noted, there wouldn't be much point in buying him now on layaway, when you could wait until the winter window, when he'd be ready to play, in any case... It's been done, of course, and it's quite often talked about, but usually with young players, who are bought because of potential. LD is at the finished article stage of his career, a couple extra months in MLS don't make him any better, so the only advantage would be if it led to a price reduction.
    Still, this is a really interesting question, anyone know the answer, or did i miss it? If so, apologies for the bump...

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mentioned Zhikov at Chelsea. He appears to have settled in farily nicely. The others I can think of are Radoslav Kovac at West Ham from Spartak. Kovac hasn't set the world on fire but he's a decent player and has done admirably. Chelsea also has Branislav Ivanovic (bought from Lokomotiv)likewise, has done an admirable job for Chelski and has become somewhat of fan favorite, IIRC. The only of one I can think of is Andre Bikey at Burnley. He played up and down and very inconsistent in his stint with Reading in the Premier League after coming from Lokomotiv. He's a bit of a head case and I think that's played against him. For example, his rage during the CCC playoffs when he rip his shirt off and threw it on the pitch after he conceded a stupid PK earlier and then eventually was sent off.

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But Bikey would be a success, at least in the sense that Reading made a bit of money off him, buying him for right around 1m, and selling for 2.8m.
    The money on offer from the larger clubs in Russia is far beyond what MLS offers, so they have players with better reputations, higher expectations.
    It's largely about the money, isn't it? A player who's earning 1m year is thought to be of a certain standard, a player earning 100k of a lesser. MLS players, generally, don't make a lot. Therefore, in general, they're not worth a lot.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not nitpicking at all...you are 100% correct. I should have said Russia/Ukrainian.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This answers most topics on BigSoccer.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FYP...:cool:

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I went with the last 12 months or so... and for some reason I was thinking of Russians... but yes, Ivanovic... Kovac, and a few others

I dont know what Martin Fischer was talking about...

Bikey was years ago... completely forgot about him, lol

15. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *drags thread back on topic.

What are the chances that one of the teams who qualify for CL group stages after tomorrow's games are finished would come in with a late bid for Landon to help them?

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, they will have a bit more money to spend. but you'd think they'd have been hanging around, greasing the skids just in case. Of course, they may have been doing that, just not publically.
    More likely, however, that he'll leave on loan in january

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

He had an injury during this Russian season, missed a half dozen Spartak games and a couple of qualifiers. Of course, he played every game of the Euro2008 run.

18. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
  19. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the second Serie B player West Ham got in the last 2 years.

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Savio Nsereko kind of crashed and burned...and if I am not mistaken, he came aboard last winter transfer so it is actually the second Serie B player in 8 months.

Sorry....way off topic, I know.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  23. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Well with $10m burning a hole in their pocket I suppose we'll find out. There's a difference between expressed and real interest.

24. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they got 6mil Euros from the Diamanti deal, which is just 1mil Euro short of the MLS' asking price for Donovan.

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

LOL

There are so many variables at play in any transfer crush, much less one involving super secret information killers MLS. For instance, Landon seems to want to stay through MLS Cup - does Livorno need to fill that hole now or can they wait?

You can't just wait until the end and say "oh look, they didn't buy him, so it was all a hoax". Livorno didn't simply send a Valentine's Day card and wink... they were trying to work a deal. It's not a rumour.