Landon Donovan linked in transfer to Celtic (??)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NBlue, May 5, 2006.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so I give essentially no credence to this article but I thought some of you may find it interesting (as do I). Today's Scottish football briefing links Landon Donovan along with everyone from Steed Malbranque to Theo Walcott to a possible summer signing with Celtic. I think the author essentially dismissed the rumor through his writing but it is interesting to see Landon listed with a number of other possibles -- good to have his name out there, I suppose (no chance in hell he's going to Celtic, though).

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=677662006

Also some commentary about the questionable behaviour of the up and coming player (Skacel) from our first opponent at the Cup.

2. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. No chance. I've heard him say that he prefers to live and work where they speak English. ;)

Good article find.

3. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Celtic is a club in english speaking country's league.

4. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United

He probably means California English. :D

5. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously didn't get the joke.

The ;) usually means: "STOP: You have just been winked at. Please read the previous sentence again with a grain of salt."

6. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    It's no joke--have you ever heard Mo Johnston talk??? I don't know what language he's speaking, but it's definitely not English!

(This may account for RBNY's crappy play...)

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon Strachan makes Mo Johnston sound like Martin Tyler.

8. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I hear the weather in Glasgow has been compared favorably to that of Southern California...

9. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Exactly what came to my mind. :D

10. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    Is Landon Roman Catholic?

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard George Weah was thinking of joining the... oh never mind, the Metros don't exist anymore!!!

12. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    cakes will undoubtedly get some euro offers post wc- weather and babe issues aside, if someone wants to triple his salary, it'll be hard to say no. that said, i don't see scotland at all.

13. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    I'm no huge LD lover, but I think he is a great player. My thinking is that he's gotta cash in sometime. He's making way less than what his value is IMO, in order to stay in Cali. If the club and the money is right, I'm sure he'll jump. He won't make, "My kids and grandkids won't have to work another day in their lives" money with the MLS. 3 years in Europe could equal a decade in the MLS. When he sees the likes of Gooch and Demps, getting offered some nice coin after this cup, I'm sure he'll get to thinkin'.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not. He seems to have different values.

15. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    perhaps he'll donate half his salary then? no, he likes his money as much as the next guy.

16. tehgraarg

tehgraarg Member

Feb 9, 2006
    West Berlin, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm guesing you didn't happen to catch the episode of MTV cribs when they went to Landon's home. He definantly is not hurting in the money department.

17. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    tapp that ass!;)

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    And coming in *oxygen mask*: Martin Petrov, Kevin Thomson, Hartley, Charisteas, Harte, D’Alessandro, Riordan, Hammell, McNaugthon, Ousmane Dabo, Landon Donovan, Russell Anderson, Webster, Ferne Snoyl, Craig Bryson, Theo Walcott, Scott Brown, Shinji Ono, Hidetoshi Nakata, Campo, Liam Miller, Richard Wright, Gary Naysmith, Carlton Cole, Konchesky, Kiki Musampa, Steed Malbranque, Vikash Dhorasoo, Wesley Sonck and, for the love of God, Shaun Wright Phillips. That will be £21 million Shaun Wright Phillips. NO.

lol

19. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    Nah I don't watch that channel, but they showed his home on ESPN once before a galaxy game. Nice but Keller lives in a castle.;)

20. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Scotland, I know, but this reminded me of a scene from "The Limey," when Wilson (Terrance Stamp) meets up with Feather, a U.S. Customs agent (try to read/hear this with Wilson's Cockney accent):

Wilson: "How's it going squire, all right. Now listen--when I was in the nick, second time it was--no, third. Third stretch, yeah. There was this screw had it in for me. That geezer was top of my list. Two years after I was slung, I saw him. He was sitting on a bench in Holland Park. There was no one else about. I coulda gone up behind him and snapped his fugging neck. But I left it. Coulda nobbled him, but I didn't. 'Cos what I thought I wanted wasn't what I wanted. What I thought I was thinking about was something else. This berk on the bench wasn't worth my time. See what I mean? It didn't matter. It meant sod all in the end."

Feather has been listening to this expresionless. Now he raises a finger as if there's a point he wants clarified.

Feather: "There's one thing I don't understand." (wants to make this clear) "The one thing I don't understand . . . is every motherfugging thing you're saying."

Wilson: "Look, mush, you're the guv'nor here, I can see that. I'm on your manor now, right. So there's no need to get out of your pram. I'm Johnny-come-lately to all this. Whatever the bollocks between you and this slag Valentine, it's got nothing to do with me. I don't wanna know."

21. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well someone needs to give donovan an a$$ kicking over to europe. His game in MLS has peaked

22. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A move to Celtic could be ideal for Landon. It certainly didn't hurt Claudio Reyna to move to Rangers. Landon will never get the credability he deserves while he remains in the MLS. The SPL is an obvious stepping stone into the EPL, and playing for Celtic will also mean Champs League football. It looks increasingly likely that Petrov will leave Celtic this summer. They will need to fill the position of attacking midfield.

I think they tried to sign O'Brian after 2002 WC didn't they?

23. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    if landy loves so'cal why in the world would he move to celtic? makes no sense at all. further, why does he need a stepping stone league? a two time world cup vet with 75+ caps does not need a stepping stone like dempsey/bradley/convey. Donovan steps right into the starting 11 for just about any team in the big four leagues outside of the champions league sides (and maybe some of those when he is motivated)

24. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When I went to the Old Firm in February to support the Bhoys, I made a couple friends. I told them I was an American in Spain and one said "Oh greet, nah you can knoo tree languages - English, Spanish, an' Scootish!"

25. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To toughen him up.

Celtic gives him also the opportunity to play in the Champions League.

Seemed to do well for Reyna ;)