Landon Donovan in the Premier League

Discussion in 'Everton' started by strike, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have a handkerchief?

2. Speedyg

Speedyg New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton gave him a chance to be one of the boys. Not the MVP of his team and league. No Camp Cupcake matches featuring MLS heavy rosters vs El Salvador. Ah what it must have been like to play in packed stadiums. After the weeks buildup that was filled with discussion, and analysis from the media and fan base. Then post match reaction splashed across the front page. Soccer was the story. Not a Cute little quip on ESPN's top ten plays wedged between dunks and touchdowns.

Now he comes home to a league in turmoil. Oh yea and the Beckam Circus just around the corner. I have no doubt he will say all the right things work hard and be a quality teammate. He will reward the Galaxy fan base with his best. But it won't be the sam it can't be.

I don't fault The Galaxy. They have done what they must. Landon did sign a contract. As he should have done. Any agent who would advise him to leave that money on the table in this economy should be fired. I just wish MLS would step in and do the right thing. He has given so much to the league. He is arguably the most influential American player MLS has ever had. What is he asking for? A few more weeks to enjoy the ride. Is Preseason really that important? He had no preseason with Everton. Last year he and Becks rolled in late and they were a few penalty kicks away from the cup. They need to show the class he has shown them. MLS let the dream go on for a little longer he deserves it.

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Even if there were a chance of Landon staying it wouldn't happen with Becks hurt.

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it still looking like there's an excellent chance of the MLS players striking?

If so, I'm a bit surprised that Donovan agreed so easily to return to the Galaxy.

Since my understanding is that by Donovan returning back to the Galaxy, he'll be stuck with that team until the next transfer window even if the strike lasts for weeks and weeks and weeks.

5. Fajkus Rules

Fajkus Rules Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lake Zurich, IL
    Seems as if Arena is being shortsighted if he demanded Donovan come home now without knowing how the players' strike will turn out. If it ends up being a 6 week battle, that's a huge waste of Donovan's time to be sharp for the WC.

Everton, thanks for making Donovan feel appreciated and a core part of the team. You all deserve it for the club's support of youth development of players here in the States. Tosh (is it O'Farrell?) shows up every year here in Illinois to help train our top youth players.

6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't just American fans who are loving Donovan, it is the Everton fans and EPL fans in England. He has shifted the way English fans look at Americans and football. He came in and, coincidence or not, Everton went on a tear and Donovan was clearly part of it, scoring and assisting and creating chances left and right. The fans noticed, his teammates noticed, and the English press noticed. Most of what we are doing in America is noticing how much notice of Donovan has been taken in England. We already knew he was good.

7. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a little much. He's not the first American to play well in England, it's just the first time HE has played well outside America. He exceeded expectations; here's hoping he gets back to Goodison as soon as he can.

8. Fajkus Rules

Fajkus Rules Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lake Zurich, IL
    It will certainly be interesting to see if he brings his higher work rate home to MLS, because he worked harder at Everton at playing both ends of the field, than I can ever recall in MLS.

Maybe a few times he got up there with the NATs, but not like the past ten weeks.

9. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    hilarious

10. Fajkus Rules

Fajkus Rules Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lake Zurich, IL
    I take it you disagree, but I've seen 10-20 matches with Donovan & the Fire and any interesting Galaxy vs. ?? on the Deuce, and I never saw him make a 40 yard run back to the edge of the penalty box to help shut down an opponent attack in MLS. I wasn't making a specific count, but it seems as if he's done that in most every game with Everton.

Oh sure, he'll pressure a defender immediately after a turnover, or like when LA really sucked, he'd have to make runs back to the defensive third just to get the ball and have a chance to play some offense, but that's entirely different from working that hard in a defensive capacity.

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree with you.

Unlike some other forwards, Landon was never a big slacker on defense in MLS. But I don't know anyone who considered him to be a "hustle player", except when he was pissed off or extra motivated by some pre-game insult.

At Everton, though, he really did seem to put in a lot of effort on the field. My guess is that some of Pienaar's and Osman's hustle may have rubbed off on him. And Donovan probably realized that his playing time under Moyes would be limited unless he worked extra hard defensively.

12. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone recognize a troll?

13. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll find that for the Galaxy, he's primarily a forward. Defesive responsilbities, as you said, would be more limited to getting the ball back in the attacking third. but that's true of most Prem sides as well. At Everton, he was primarily a winger (midfield) with more defensive responsibility. In short, for LA, it wasn't his job to track back that far, where for Everton it was.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that may be part of it, but it's also the case that in MLS, or with the Nats, Landon is THE key offensive player, so any effort he expends on defense is effort he can't use on offense. Any time he's back in his own box playing defense is time he can't be at midfield preparing to launch a counterattack.

With Everton, he could just be a player. And I think that's alot of why he's so, ahem, "keen" to return to Everton. He's a hell of a smart player, but he hasn't been able to play the way he wants to play because of his role in MLS and the Nats. At Everton, he can play that way, and he clearly loved the hell out of it.

15. paulinespens

paulinespens New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Shelbyville KY
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did see on ESPN2 yesterday who was showing ESPN UK that Everton where working on extending the loan deal if and when this MLS strike goes ahead. I hope he comes back to Everton.

16. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that once he returned to the Galaxy, the loan was over. Supposedly that's not the case.

http://www.soccer365.com/english_premiership/story_19310112003.php

17. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the announcers on an Everton game used the following (paraphrased) statement: Three Americans now on the pitch [Altidore, Howard and Donovan were on], the geography of football is changing, shifting to include America. IMO, that is a strong statement of a shift of perception of the quality of American soccer.

18. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i remember that. they were talking about how there used to be one or two americans in the epl and now we see three in a game. we produce some decent goalkeepers. we currently have four in the epl, 3 starters.

19. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD won't be back this season since the MLS and MLSPU reached an agreement.

20. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to trivialize it, because it is a step in the right direction, I'd say it's more of a statement of how unique the situation was.

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's great to hear there'll be a normal MLS season.

I never understood why Landon didn't push harder to extend his loan at Everton until May. Since I think he'd be sharper and better prepared for the World Cup by playing games in the EPL than by playing early season games in the MLS.

But at least it's nice to see a player who's committed to his team and puts his team ahead of his short-term interests.

22. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, didn't he go off on Becks for doing exactly that? He'd be a sure fire hypocrite.

Yay MLS. RBNY has looked great so far.

23. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe people are still saying this.:confused:

24. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Sssh, you cant criticise the Yanks golden boy!
    LOL

25. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not. I'm just saying what would have happened if Landon tried to press MLS and the Galaxy into extending his loan into the regular season. Sure it'll be under a slightly different pretense but it's still "quitting" on your club.