Landon Donovan in EPL?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Ludwig77, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if this is considered lurking/trolling what have you, but as a Galaxy fan, and the recent comments made by Landon Donovan, its very apparent that he's unhappy in Los Angeles. Most think he'll be heading to San Jose to follow our coach, but I'm wondering where, IF ANYWHERE, he might be useful in the EPL. I'm aware of his lack of size, but his speed, ball control, soccer IQ, etc...should be useful somewhere. As much as I don't want to see him go anywhere, I'm curious, what do you think?

2. asciibaron

asciibaron New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Millersville
    handing out fresh towels in locker room for Man U?

-steve

3. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical Big Soccer reply from a team fan thats won the supporters shield two years in a row and has then been ousted by the lowest seed in the play offs....two years in a row.

4. asciibaron

asciibaron New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Millersville
    i love soccer and live in DC so i would naturally support my local team. LD does not have what it takes to make big plays in the EPL. you can wax about me liking DCU, but i also like Chivas, Columbus, and Houston (who are going to win the MLS Cup).

but what can LD bring to the EPL? he's fast, but can't seem to connect with others to make the big plays. he can't win headers in the box, and frankly, he won't be getting past the big defensive players in the EPL. he will bounce off them.

since you brought it up - what was the Galaxy able to do this season with LD before Becks, and where did they finish with Becks? it's Soehn's first season, so we didn't expect to win the Cup. will we see the Galaxy at CCC?????

-steve

5. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not stating that LD should be a forward, if anything he should be an attacking right mid or something in order to get around those mid & def players and provide crosses for those larger forwards. He's not big enough to hold the ball up in the middle of the pitch but he can get around a player or two maybe even to service an overlapping defender?

As far as the G's season it was ********ed from day one. :) You're preaching to the choir man. I'm not so stubborn that I can't realize the faults with my team. (First and foremost Alexi Lalas.) But thats for another thread and another time.

6. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose Derby have got nothing to lose.

7. Powerhitter04

Powerhitter04 New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    I don't think he could even handle that. :p

8. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hasn't Landon Donavan tried his hand at football in Holland already?

I honestly don't think that he could bring anything to the EPL. A lot of players have come with huge reputations and failed miserably in the England. It is very different to many other leagues and the pace, intensity and physical pressue placed on players is not like any other league.

A few years ago he was a young player with good prospects, but the reality is that the lad probably isn;t good enough to make an impact in England.....

9. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bundesliga, actually. Forget the team, but he was never a starter. Used mostly as an impact player. Came home, supposedly, cbecause he couldn't adapt to life in Germany. Others have brought forth that seeing as there would be no language barrier in England, he should try there. Fact is, he's not motivated to try his hand anywhere else. He's a star in MLS, making a very good living for a couple of hours 'work' everyday. He's in the nat'l side. Got everything he wants! Why upset that to prove himself on a bigger stage? No ambition. Hence the nickname, Landy-cakes.

10. steveedster

steveedster Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Fulham? seems to be the natural home for a lot of American talent these days in the EPL.

11. milojon

milojon New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    San Diego/Seattle
    We don't need LD at Fulham. Ithink he would be best suited on a championship side team like Watford or West brom. Less pressure and less physical.

12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Dempsey could make the jump then LD could

Question is does he want to go abroad again?

13. Marko

Marko New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cardiff
    "Landy-cakes" does appear to be blessed with a modicum of footballing ability, but if it's true that he never wants to play in Europe again, he's never going to be remembered as a decent footballer playing in a competition like the MLS.

What a waste to be so lacking in ambition.

14. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Dempsey got more creative ability and teamplay so has something to offer but Donovan is hard yards workhorse but then there are plenty of those players types in the Championship league one below the EPL.

I could only think that a low EPL side may consider him on the bench. Truely it would be his professional approach that would win confidence among the EPL coaches.

Good Luck if he does get in. But a starting lineup in a lower EPL team first before impressing anyone.

:cool:

15. soccerpunterexpert

soccerpunterexpert New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    hmm yeah I'm not quite sure if he can adapt in the EPL

16. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    who would want this gay guy in their league? I would feel offended if they brought him to the Mexican league.

[​IMG]

17. yanksoccerfan

yanksoccerfan New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope it wont happen LA would be shit with out him and he couldnt cut it over there

18. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the two that are most likely to come over would be Adu, and altidore. Donovan is too old to get a start in the EPL cause he would have to take a seat on the bench and at 26 that would likely not be his style. Adu is going to just get better in portugal and Altidore is probably almost there in terms of ability for the EPL. I would put money that Altidore will be there in 2-3 years time. Once both of those guys get a permanent spot on the national team I could see them coming over.

19. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    by the time adu gets good enough to play in the EPL he will be ready for retirement. I mean a 30 something year old and only play so much.

20. yanksoccerfan

yanksoccerfan New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes tearing it up over at benfeica he should just stay there

21. CardinalSM79

CardinalSM79 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    London
    Hi, football fan from England here.

Landon Donovan is not good enough for the EPL.

He was a flop at Bayer Leverkusen, and he played against my team Liverpool in 2005, the year we won the Champions League. I had heard a lot about Landon Donovan from American soccer fans and I spent the whole game wondering if he was on the field.

Fulham have Diomansy Kamara, Collins John and David Healy- and they're all better strikers than Landon Donovan.

This is not an anti-American post, its just being realistic. I like Ed Johnson and DeMarcus Beasley. They're better players than Landon Donovan too!

22. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

hahahah are talking about Adu? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha:p

23. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thats where your wrong. Eddie Johnson has the body to do ok in the EPL but is not better than LD. Although LD did choke in the WC2006, and tahts why i guess most poeple who live in the US dont think much of him. Same goes with Demarcus, hes awsome but a different player than donovan. Hes a really offensive #10, that distributes and due to his tecnical skill and speed, can also finish. He's like a Robinho if you will, USA version that is, LOL dont jump on me for that comparison.:p

Bottom line though, i think LD could do OK in the EPL but with his talent, and vision for the game, i think he'd be better in La Liga.

24. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! 30 by the time Adu gets to the EPL. LOL! I give him at the latest till 23. His contract ends right around then with Benfica I think. He will also have so much time in the National team playing regular 1st squad football that his body will be ready by that time. Don't get it twisted Adu is incredibly gifted with the football and being on a team that plays champions league football is only going to help. So please don't say stupid things like he won't be in the EPL till 30.

25. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he wanted to go to the EPL that is. He may find his way to La Liga instead.