Landon Donovan considering Real Salt Lake, Eastern Conference Team

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I chatted with Landon yesterday, he said...aw, never mind. Can we talk about that whole Broomgate thing that's got everyone on the edge of their seats?

[​IMG]

rslfanboy, TOAzer and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "In Ontario last week, ..."

The other Ontario, maybe, but that's enough of a connection. Corked bats, deflated footballs, re-sized hockey and lacrosse sticks, now curling brooms - lots to talk about, while we wait for LD to sort things out.

I can start. I think big-headed tennis rackets spoiled (ok, ruined) men's tennis but helped women's tennis. What say you?

The Franchise and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Largely, yes. The sport is most enjoyable when tactics and athleticism are balanced. Modern equipment and training made aces too easy for men.

Burr and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ummm MLS named its MVP trophy after the guy.....and now they wanna nickle and dime LD & RSL over how much they can pay him? weak AF

LD needs to sue the F out of MLS to take his name off the trophy if they block a deal.

gerrard and kaka getting 6/7 m to scamper around but LD not getting 1m or whatever it is is BS.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bit amusing MLS is so asininely restrictive that they might end up keeping their MVP trophy out of the league.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd ask you on what grounds would he sue but I'm pretty sure you don't have a answer that would actually hold up to legal scrutiny.

The key words in that report are:
    If that turns out to be the reason then this is a restriction the players agreed to (hell, wasn't LD even one of the player reps in the last negotiation?) so it really knocks out any standing LD has to sue MLS.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  8. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he unknowingly restricted the raise he could receive this year by signing for what he did last year, then he should sue his agent.

JasonMa and wsmaugham repped this.
  9. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Surely the fact that he only signed a partial year contract is allowed to be taken into account. Of course his salary last year was low. If that is not being taken into account then it is absurd.

The Franchise repped this.
  10. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CBA is in writing. LD and his team were responsible for understanding the ramifications. Just a guess, but I think someone at the league office would've picked up the phone if they were unclear.

Edit: if that is even the issue.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that he might have grounds for :D

12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he should sue out of principle.

he's a "founding father" of the league who came back to MLS despite having numerous more lucrative overseas opportunities. he was the face of MLS for many years...back when salaries arent as high as they are now.

i mean theyve just just paid old man gerrard and kaka 6-7 million a year!

for MLS to turn around and nickle and dime LD is petty and disrespectful.

my point is not based on legal grounds but on respect.

MLS wants to use LD's name on the MVP trophy...but wanna get all legalese when an MLS team wants to pay him....pretty wack.

EDIT: all this only applies if MLSHQ is indeed blocking an MLS team from paying LD above whatever threshhold they determine his "max" should be.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're missing the point that (as it seems at the current time) the holdup is the agreement between the players and MLS HQ. This isn't an arbitrary decision by the league office. If the reporting is accurate at worst MLS is choosing not to apply for a waiver of the rule they agreed to with the players union.

Gamecock14 and Boloni86 repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't MLS HQ intentionally lowballing him though. This is their restrictive system causing Landon to essentially be lowballed with few options.

Problem is the system and that their own system is making an embarrassment out of the current situation with the face of the league, its poster boy. But breaking their own rules to cater to Landon would be just as bad.

Frankly, there isn't a decent solution here.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are their system. they created it.

just because they got the players to sign off on it doesnt mean MLS is free and clear. the playes are guppies swimming with sharks.

besides, theyve never had a problem breaking their own rules before....LAG getting donovan, beckham extra DP slots, TAM in the middle of the season, etc prime example.

horrible timing if this is moment when MLS finally decides it cant break its own rules.

the solution is easy...just let whichever MLS team LD wants to go to pay him whatever he wants.

hasnt he been in the league 8 already??!

how is jermaine jones a free agent but LD isnt??

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #141 adam tash, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    the rule comes from MLSHQ...not the players!!....as if the players would object to donovan getting whatever $$$ he could out of MLS....

you think the players wanted any limit on what their raises can be???

aside: when you go to the ATM and they charge you 1.50$ or 5$ to get money...do you want to pay that money?

17. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would seem a logical way around this is for the Galaxy to re-sign him and then trade him to RSL for some small but reasonable price.

He would no longer be a free agent and his relationship with the Galaxy is strong enough to imagine them agreeing

007Spartan repped this.
  18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe the Cosmos could sign him instead.

Gamecock14 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Landon Donovan was one of the most vocal voices that agreed/negotiated this current system, so I am not sure what you are whining about.

Gamecock14 and JasonMa repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you not think he thought the writing of section 29.8 of the CBA would apply to him?

JasonMa and tab5g repped this.
  21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #146 tab5g, Jan 12, 2017
    MLS regularly redefines/adjusts/tweaks their regs on the fly, as no one can ever fully scope out or envision or accommodate every possible future scenario and "player signing/retention" need.

This will be resolved and most everyone will be somewhat satisfied.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #147 JasonMa, Jan 12, 2017
    Wow, you really have no concept of the idea of negotiation and partnerships do you? You just want to stomp your feet until MLS does what you want huh?

This is (apparently, according to the most recent reports) codified in the CBA negotiated between the player and the league. That's not something they can just change on a whim. That's why they negotiated it in the first place, its the whole point of the CBA. And yes, the players very well may have an objections to overriding the CBA because that sets a precedent to make it a two way street. Once they agree to an exception then the league can make another exception, this time not in a player's favor, and they've lost some legal standing to object.

But I know that to you relationships and legal concerns don't matter. MLS should just do what you think is best and damn the consequences to anyone else. Its the same reasoning you're using when I pointed out my NCAA concerns in the draft thread.

(Now after saying all that I do think that it might be in the best interests to everyone to work something out, but that doesn't mean these concerns aren't real and can't be ignored. In the end they may be too much to overcome.)

The Franchise, 007Spartan and Gamecock14 repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I can safely promise you that no matter how this situation is resolved I will not be satisfied.

ArsenalMetro and tab5g repped this.
  24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    "Most everyone" always has worthy and unworthy exceptions.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He was looking out for 'everyone' when it was done. If he is using it as an obstacle toward reaching an agreement, then oh well.