Landon Donovan A Senior Olympic Player?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by fingersave, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right? So who is debating it? Nowhere in my post did I say that Bradley provided less leadership than any one on the U-23 team. In fact I said in the post you quoted me on:

So I'm not sure why you are debating it at all.

2. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corona was solid to me, did anyone miss that. He was wearing the 10 jersey.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't want such a dominating presence as Donovan on the team.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Exactly.

Further, I think we have to think of the Olympic team (a U23 tournament, after all) as one of two things: one that would be nice to win, and secondly, a chance to let the younger players with talent and a real ability to have an impact on the next level have a chance to play their own tournament, and see who has what it takes to take responsibility for winning under the bright lights. I mean those guys all have had first team playing time with their clubs, and all of them except Gatt and Gyau have had senior MNT time, but out of those, only Adu has ever been tasked with being a real difference maker (and he still has some proving to do). Let these guys have their chances to be their own difference-makers in their own tournament. Let the overage slots be used at the positions, mostly in the back, where the guys are a little less ready to take responsibility. And in most cases, that overage guy should probably be a guy like a Cameron or a Parkhurst, IMO, who could use the opportunity to take the responsibility in the big tournament and show Klinsi why he can count on them in the big show.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever seen him play for his club? He's definitely a holding midfieilder. He gets forward like a number 8, but defensively, he sits pretty deep and tracks back.

A number 10 CAM he is not.