Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, May 29, 2017.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thecup.us has us playing either Jacksonville Armada or Charleston Battery on June 14 at Kennesaw State's football stadium. Has anybody heard anything about tickets to this one? As a season ticket holder, I'd love for this to be a freebie, especially since we get one less game in the new stadium than we thought we were getting.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Your season ticket includes one game pass for either an Open Cup match or a playoff game. I've asked a clarification on how that works and have yet to get a response, but they won't be able to make them free without some system to confirm how many people will be there at a minimum (so as to plan operations) and to avoid reselling occupied seats. I expect once the opponent is determined this Wednesday they'll send an eBlast with the formal game announcement and the terms at that time.

3. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I hope we take the USOC seriously. I want to win it.

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    I hope we use this competition to rest starters and blood youngsters. I believe we're a playoff team and would like to play the long game. No sense in getting any of the regular XI an injury against some beer league side trying to make a name for itself.

Let's see 90 minutes from Carleton. Get some minutes for Goslin and Vazquez. We've seen Gressel but what of our other 1st rounder in Robinson? By the way was his loan for the season or short term? What's Walkes up to? Give Martinez some fitness minutes.

We've got a ton of congestion coming up and the Cup just adds to it. Prioritize the league

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I vote for both - Use it to let other guys get experience, but then win it along the way, too!

ATLfirefan repped this.
  6. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, that's a way-too-sensible response to this.

But you're right. I think the important thing for the remainder of the MLS season is to keep players fresh and injury-free. U.S. Open Cup can be used for some roster rotation. Maybe Guzan gets his first start? Or maybe that'll be Kann's final action as the #1?

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No way Kann relinquishes his spot as the #1 unless his form dips. Man is playing inspired and it's resonating with the crowd. Can't recall many (any?) of the goals surrendered that could be blamed on him, and he's certainly made some great saves along the way.

Might as well give Guzan the USOC matches. Bloom, Ambrose, Kratz, Jones and McCann will surely start that first game, as well, if not the entire B-side. Depending on how they go, however, I wonder if they change formation, as well?

Martinez, Jones, Carelton
    Heath, Kratz
    McCann
    Ambrose, Robinson, Walkes, Bloom
    Guzan

Certainly underwhelming, especially that attack. Shift McCann deep and ask him to play a Larentowicz-like role and steer the offense from behind. See if Kratz can run the attack and let Martinez and Carleton run wild. Robinson finally gets a chance to play and is asked to co-pilot the defense as a rookie, but Guzan and Walkes have experience enough to help him.

It's decidedly slower and also weak on the left side, but there are weapons to be had in this lineup and hopefully the hunger for some PT drives these guys to perform. Provided the central defense holds that should be enough to win 1-2 games against middling or lower-tier USL teams. Especially at home.

I hope.

8. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right after I suggested Guzan, I realized it would be three days after the Mexico match. Not sure if he'll play that or not. If he doesn't see action with the USMNT, I think he should get the start in the USOC.

I don't agree with starting him in an MLS match yet because I doubt he'll have done anything to unseat Kann as the starter in less than a week of training.

I think Carleton, Ambrose, Vazquez, and Robinson will get appearances in this match and certainly make the team sheet for it.

9. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I disagree. You don't bring in Brad Guzan to not start him.

10. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    This topic probably deserves it's own thread but since we cracked it here I'll state that I'm on team Guzan. As well as Kann has deputized we have access to the USA #2 GK. I'm not going to turn down access to a Maserati because I'm comfortable in a Corolla. Not a slight against the very dependable Corolla but if there is better out there why wouldn't you use it?

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ouch. A Maserati vs. a Corolla! I might see Guzan as more of a Buick.

Guzan is a great keeper and I wouldn't object to seeing him in the lineup. I get it this is a business and you/we want to win. IMO his performances this season haven't wowed me, and he'll be coming in into a completely new side and a new league. Meanwhile Kann is rated among the top four keepers in MLS right now, he desperately wants to win for his hometown and has done very well with his defenders, who routinely sing his praises. He's also 7 years younger and could be a keeper for a lifetime in MLS. I consider him a hot hand and you typically ride those out as long as possible. At the least, I don't see a huge upside in making this change but I do so a potentially deeper setback if the move backfires, especially if that also effects Kann mentally.

We'll see, but I'll be surprised if the same coach who benches at least 3 higher priced players for the likes of Gressel and Asad turns around and starts Guzan over Kann in short order. I'll root like heck for him, I'll just be surprised, is all.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just announced via emails - Atlanta United's Open cup match on June 14 (Wednesday night) will be played at Kennesaw State's 8,300 seat Fifth Third Bank Stadium.

[​IMG]

ATLfirefan repped this.
  13. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a very nice stadium, it needs to be said. It was built FOR soccer and provides a fun atmosphere.

The capacity is the real question, but if we sell out an 8,500-seat stadium, that will be one helluv an attended match. Most USOC matches won't draw that well.

14. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season ticket holders do not have the match included in their packages, however. STHs only have access to a presale. Boo.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think that is simply due to the change in venue, as there is no fair way to accommodate 30k season ticket holders in an 8,300 seat venue. Thus, our bonus match will come later when it can be had inside MBS, I presume.

16. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but for $10-$30, it's a discount.

Plus, we can't have 30,000 people freely entering a stadium that holds 8,300.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That was the threadbump heard 'round the world... five years!

Anyhoo, just posting to say "Fifth Third Bank" cracks me up...

GunnerJacket repped this.