LAG Best XI all time

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Che chico!, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    73Bruin and Ghosting repped this.
  2. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this is just my personal bias... but I'm not sure I'd put Lalas and Becks on this list. There's definitely an argument to be made for both of them, but I feel like they both kind of showed up and rode their teammates' coattails to glory. Not sure who I'd replace them with, though.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Interesting that they didn't have a right back or a d-mid in the top 10 players. So it wasn't a greatest by position. I didn't follow the Galaxy that closely back then, but I would have thought that Ezra Hendrickson or Chris Albright should have made the list for their play at right back.

Ghosting repped this.
  4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ezra? LOL come on man. I love the guy but he was not great.

5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Okay, I didn't follow (as I said) the Galaxy that much before 2005. Who would be the best Galaxy right back of all time? There aren't that many candidates: Ezra, Albright, Franklin, and perhaps Klien. Looking at the stats (since I didn't see them play that much), I would rank Ezra at the top.

wcmanes repped this.
  6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GalaxyKoa, profiled, wcmanes and 2 others repped this.
  7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other big omissions from my point of view were Cien and Robin Fraser. Lalas? Yes he was an important pert of some good teams, but I don't think he was the defender Robin F was - Robin was the bedrock of the defense in the early years.

GalaxyKoa, wcmanes and Ghosting repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ezra would get no playing time in today's MLS. I think Albright wins by default.

9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cien was on there, as he should
    be. Good point about Fraser.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember Ezra much. Between Albright and Franklin I need to go with Franklin. Klein isn't there :)

11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Albright was a good RB, a converted role from forward. He seem to improve as a player overall when that switch was made.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albright had a modicum of technique...Franklin, none at all.

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who belongs ahead of Beckham?

14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 TrickHog, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    If we are picking a All-Time Starting XI based on position, and limiting it strictly to Galaxy performance, then I'd place Cobi ahead of Beckham at right mid and Cien and Juninho ahead of Beckham as center mid.

Mine- strictly a real, playable and balanced 4-4-2--

------------Ruiz-----Keane
    Donovan---Cien---Juninho#---Cobi
    Vanney@--Fraser--Omar--Albright*
    --------------Hartman

*Right back was my biggest struggle. AJDLG misses out because he keeps getting moved between center back and right back. Franklin was a great contributor, but never really rose to the level of All-time XI....

#Beckham and Pena are my other choices here. But Juninho held this position for 3 MLS Cup championships. The only other midfielder to match or surpass that is Donovan.

@Dunivant maybe instead. But I think, during their peak Galaxy time, Vanney was slightly better overall.

I think this team represents the three "Championship" eras of the Galaxy. Fraser/Cien/Cobi/Hartman from the early years, Ruiz/Vanney/Albright from that 2002-2005 period of success that overlapped with the end of the original studs, and Donovan/Keane/Juni/Omar from our 2009-2014 period of near-complete domination.

I know a lot of people will complain about Beckham not being in here -- but honestly tell me which player in the midfield you bump for him? You are on crack if you pick Donovan, Cien or Cobi. So that leaves Juninho. And I honestly think he contributed more to our midfield success from 2010-2015 than Beckham did.

GalaxyKoa, UcIceD2011, Beirut and 11 others repped this.
  15. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See @TrickHog's post above.

That said, as you can tell by my original post, I'm ambivalent about Becks. Truth be told, Becks probably starts over Junhi if you've got Cien as your other CM, but so does Gerrard. However, you could make the same argument for Gio and Cobi. If they were both on the squad right now, Gio may well get slotted in ahead of Jones, but there's no question who has been the better Galaxy player. In that light, I think Junhi made the team better on the field. Especially when you take into account that Beckham essentially wrecked the squad and publicly dissed the organization before Arena showed up and straightened things out. In the end, Donovan, Keane, Gonzo, and Junhi had more to do with the last dynasty than Becks did.

StillKickin, TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Solving the Jones/Beckham debate is pretty easy. Cobi was never better than the 1998 season when he was played at forward. So Cobi up top with Keane (Ruiz’s one great season and the emotional impact of the first cup don’t cut it for me), Beckham wide right. Done and done.

Code:
              Keane - Jones
    Donovan - Cien - Juninho - Beckham
    Dunivant - Omar - Fraser - Albright
                Hartman

TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  17. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that Jones was never really a forward. He was an out-and-out winger. I think it's really tough to put him ahead of Ruiz up top. Besides, Becks played as a CM for most of his time with us, not a winger. So in this lineup, you've got two guys playing out of position.

My personal conundrum with Becks is all the negatives he brought on and off the field. In his first two years with the club, he (and Lalas) let his ego basically turn LA into a laughing stock. 2008 was a train wreck. When Bruce was brought in midway through 2009, he cleaned things up, restoring Donovan to the captaincy, and making Becks respect his role with the team. However, then he left for Milan again in 2010, tore his achilles, and then slotted back into the lineup in mid-September to be part of the supports' shield-winning squad. After the season he tried again to get a loan to Tottenham. However, LA finally forced him to abide by his contract and play a full season in LA, which I think was clearly his best. He contributed greatly to the SS/Cup-winning squad, as well as the cup repeat in 2012.

However it's tough to get past the fact that, for the first two-thirds of his tenure with LA, he was a part-time player where the team succeeded largely in spite of him rather than because of him. The 2011 and 2012 seasons, Becks finally showed up for the team. It finally felt like he was really committed. However, by the end of 2011 Keane had come in, and it was clear that the squad was built around him and Donovan. When Becks left, Sarvas stepped in and, while being a different player, was arguably just as valuable to the team as his predecessor.

So there's no question that, at times, Becks played like a best XI guy for LA... but you could say the same for Sarvas. In the totality of his work, I'm not sure that Becks beats out Junhi (or Ruiz). Here's a straight-up comparison:

Code:
             Yrs   GP    G    A  Cup  SS
    Juninho   6   206   19   28   3    2
    Beckham   6   115   18   48   2    2
    Ruiz      4    93   62   10   1    1

Actually, looking at those stats, I'm a little more swayed by @Lazy Assed Assassin's argument to exclude Ruiz. :)

StillKickin, hav77, Geneva and 3 others repped this.
  18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Sure and no one’s ever going to agree on this because it’s such a subjective thing. Are we talking about raw talent, the player when they were with the Galaxy, what about the relative strength of the competition at the time. Does the off-field stuff weigh in or not?

My take is you’re building a Galaxy team of current & former players at the peak of their form for LA. For Cobi he was played as an out-and-out forward in 1998 which was his best ever year. Despite missing a large portion of the campaign for the World Cup that year he finished 2nd in goals and just behind Stern John for the Golden Boot. Cobi never came close to replicating that form, unlike say Donovan who you could argue to the end of time whether 2014 or 2010 or 2008 were his best years. I also realize it’s contradictory to say Cobi played his best football as a forward, while Beckham rarely played on the right for LA, and certainly in none of his most productive years, but it’s my fantasy team so there :p

Ghosting, TrickHog and shurikt repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, the simple answer is if you are picking the XI best Galaxy players of all time, regardless of position, then Beckham makes the cut. But if you are picking the best XI based on position, then Beckham misses it.

20. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't think we ever saw Beckham play right mid on a Galaxy best XI basis for more than a few games. In 2008, my recollection was Klien running overlapping run after overlapping run and Becks basically standing around afterward and certainly at no time playing more than a modicum of positional defense while Klein bust his gut to get back. I vividly recall him refusing to take any defensive role in corner kicks, lamely standing alone, outside the top right side of the 18. More importantly, I remember him tanking after mid-season that year. To honest (and while I am sure there were others) I only remember one game against Seattle (I believe in the playoffs but I don't recall the year), where I saw the Becks play a right mid worthy of legend. Otherwise he was, IMO, more effective as a center mid with Juni behind him.

TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 2010 road playoff game vs. Seattle is what you're thinking of... I think...

Lazy Assed Assassin and 73Bruin repped this.
  22. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Thank you. That was the game. I found it and the next game against Seattle on YouTube and rewatched the highlights.

I remember thinking to myself, that it was the first time, I had seen Beckham play all over the field, for the Galaxy and make great recovery runs. It was also a surprise to me because other people (Birchell mainly) had played right mid for most of the season (of course David had been out most of that season due to the Achilles tear).

TrickHog repped this.
  23. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's an all-time XI but no one has mentioned Calichman yet, and he probably deserves a spot on the bench somewhere. I'm probably just tinted by nostalgia but I've got a soft spot for our original ginger.

Ghosting and TrickHog repped this.
  24. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yeah before Omar I think it’d be Calichman - Fraser in central defense for me. Like you probably a bit of nostalgia than actual merit there.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think for me it's Fraser first, no question...

Then a toss-up between Omar/Captain Dan/Hong Myung-Bo...

Ha ha ha..... Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face on that one....

I suppose Omar gets the second spot for me because he's got 3 MLS Cups...