"LAFC"...LA2...whatever

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Oct 31, 2014.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I hope so.

2. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree. They really did't take alot of fans away from the Galaxy imo. The metro is over 18 million people.. and of course they struck gold with the location, timing, marketing, stadium, and ownership group(which is alot). Alot of people in LA watch the Galaxy on tv but many never really claimed them especially in the main/central part of LA. The Galaxy always seemed corporate while the LAFC brass has came in and labeled them as a team that's part of your neighborhood.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as your neighborhood is the West Side enclaves where the millionaire owners live

barroldinho, rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I find the whole thing deeply depressing.

I've done nothing wrong. I'm sticking with my team through thick and thin. Yet this bunch of people get to just jump on board with some new team, having ignored or not truly invested in the LA team for 20+ years.

Yet somehow, I'm the one getting punished for being passionate and loyal, while they are rewarded.

And all of this "corporate" and "inauthentic" stuff is just nonsense. This is not NWA vs Vanilla Ice or The Ramones vs Bowling for Soup. We're football teams.

salvikicks, CakeYear, hav77 and 5 others repped this.
  5. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of a co-worker...

Her: "I'd never go to Starbucks; they're sooo corporate.."

Me: "Where do you go for coffee?"

Her: "Coffee Bean."

barroldinho repped this.
  6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I went to see NIN & Soundgarden at Irvine Meadows a year or so before it closed down. At the time it was still called the "Verizon Wireless Amphitheater". Chris Cornell (RIP) called them out on this, declaring "Last time we played here it was the Irvine Meadows... now it's named after some GIANT CORPORATION!!".

I just sat there thinking: "Dude, I was just at the merch stand. You're independently wealthy and you're charging $30 for a cotton tee shirt."

shurikt, rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  7. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Lets put this into business context. Revenue per game. The Galaxy sell their multiple game packages on a discount basis (e.g. buying a 20 plus game package or what ever it is, probably nets the Galaxy 50 to 60 percent of the face value). I assume that LAFC does the same. Having sellouts on a walk-up basis is a real home run from a revenue perspective. Selling 80% of your tickets on a season seat basis is at best a decision to forego revenue to gain hype.

If Chris Klein can keep having sellouts by signing aging superstars with non-club supplied TAM and GAM then he is in no danger of losing his job with a bean counter like Beckerman in charge. Think Brooks Brothers versus a pimp suit.

rokstedy and MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That could actually be very valuable. Maybe I'm being hasty on my call to sack Klein...

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    There are 2 ways to evaluate this. From a business perspective, I might give Klein a B grade, especially if he wasn't the one responsible for Gerrard and Gio (due to their high salaries which as DPs are mainly a club expense). From a team on the pitch perspective, he's a C- at best even if he again isn't responsible for Gio.

In my mind he needs to improve the team significantly before the TV and uniform contracts expire.

10. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to beat these fools in the playoffs.

11. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [​IMG]

MPNumber9, napper and Dawdler repped this.
  12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very astute analysis. We need to get used to Klein sticking around, because he's found a way to please his masters and you can hardly fault him for that.

Problem is, it's a strategy that ensures we're always chasing new pussy at the expense of building a loyal, long-term fanbase. We all sense the contempt this club has for its actual, long-term fans and STHs because they would happily trample us to get to the rubes that will pay through the nose to see whatever star we have signed most recently. So guess where those people who showed up to see Zlatan and watched us lose miserably at home are going to go?

CakeYear, TOAzer, rokstedy and 1 other person repped this.
  13. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh I definitely agree with you. I'm just fully aware of the sentiment around LA about the Galaxy, the MLS, and soccer in general. I don't feel that LAFC fans are being rewarded.Both clubs will be fine fan wise imo but there's an old saying in the restaurant biz- "location, location, location" and yes LAFC hit a home run in that department. But really this makes the Galaxy brass step it up a notch. Things were easy and a walk in the park when it was Chivas USA across the hall. Now there's a fight for attention and dollars.. but with the huge metro population everybody should win in the long run I believe.

rokstedy, TrickHog and barroldinho repped this.
  14. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, I giggled at this. So why is LAG chasing "older pussy"? I know the answer is "$$$" but why not invest in younger players...oh wait, that hasn't worked out for LAG either.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cougar chasing since 96.

Baysider, 100fyers, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks Trump and the media for managing to bring the p word into everyday lexicon. I know it's just a word but it's a very disrespectful, demeaning word. :(

TrickHog repped this.
  17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    That could be the case, but without average selling price and LA publishing their STH numbers it’s tough to say. You’d need the average selling price of a season ticket and a walk-up, an accurate number of season tickets sold – which the Galaxy is reluctant to disclose; an accurate number of game day ticket sales – again something that seems fuzzy from all parties – and even then you might not get a real answer because things like STH acquisition costs are never going to be released.

I certainly have nothing here other than speculation, but MLS teams regard season ticket sales as important for some reason. Perhaps it’s just a nice headline for a press release, but I think the Galaxy’s STH efforts might contradict that conclusion or at least provide an indication a STH is a valuable commodity beyond good press.

One of the few times a year AEG does not trust our illustrious marketing department is when it comes to season ticket renewal packages (not the STH package). Those are executed by an outside agency and the quality shows. I haven’t seen the last two years, but the previous few were extremely high quality both in concept, execution and production – well beyond anything the internal team is capable of and well beyond what we get when we’ve actually plunked down our money. Again speculation on my part, but the fact AEG spends a considerable amount of money to retain STH and is yet reluctant to share numbers suggests there’s an ROI on STHs beyond publicity.

18. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand why you'd be upset. "Pussy" can be misogynistic, something I don't want to be associated with. I apologize to you and anyone else, particularly our female members, for giggling and expanding on that word.

barroldinho, TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I must confess, the phrase initially struck me as a bit vulgar. But then I figured I was probably being a bit sensitive.

Then I joined in the joking.

We have some terrible influences on this board...

rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was on the fence about whether to clean that up or not, as I know MPNumber9 is a good dude and just using a very common expression that he probably wasn't even thinking about, although I agree as we have matured as a people that it is no longer acceptable to say.

21. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is wussy/wuss acceptable?

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We should just come up with our own terms.

I propose "Lenhart".

cleschke, GalaxyKoa, Baysider and 4 others repped this.
  23. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lenhart for brave right???

24. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    On the tickets and supporting the club, I am currently deciding whether to purchase a mini 6-ticket plan for the remaining home games. The ticket rep is offering a pretty good deal, but I I'm going to forego the deal in protest of the existing FO and the general direction of the club the last 1.5 years and the current poor form they are in. I think my $ is the only voice I have in showing my displeasure.

rokstedy and 100fyers repped this.
  25. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What sort of blasphemy is this? Are you kidding me? That is the only word in the English language worth a damn! Demeaning? You realize kingdoms and empires have crumbled because of it? It's the most powerful thing on God's green earth. It was in every day lexicon before trump and the fake media only difference is the fake news media doesn't cover conversations in every hood, bar, college and places in between we're it's used. But like everything else there is a time and place for it.