Lack of Diversity on the U.S. Women's National Team

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by futbolreal, Jul 2, 2011.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not going for Noyola. Which midfielder does Noyola replace? Im not a 100% sure she starts for Mexico.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wait? U think I offered up Noyola? When did I do that?

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Look at you question and my answer. I think I met the conditions.

But at least we seem to agree she isn't a starter.

It's a silly game anyway. Why not mention an African American player who chose to play for the USA rather than another country.

Can you think of one?

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    ok...late here on the right coast...the light dawned...ur saying Noyola is the poster child for this....duh...I got it

For me Noyola is the perfect example of a great college player who never makes an impact at the next level ... and Stanford should get some sort of plaque for playing a three year stretch with three Mac Herman winners and only squeezing one title out of it.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

She is the poster child because she made herself one with her talk about playing for Mexico because of the style of football right after she quit the u20 squad to try for a championship instead. She's young. Let's see how she fares in their style. So far she hasn't proved her point.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I should correct my quoting of the Number of players by nation in the FIFA Big Count.

A correct ordering for the latest count is China 26M, USA 24M, India 20M, then Germany 16M.

I must have been looking at a previous year.

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i'm not trying to be politically correct, just throwing some observations out there, will let you do the wiki research, because i sure don't have the time for it. :rolleyes:

who is veronica perez? i have no clue who she is. i didn't see one player on the mexican national team that lost to the usa 4-0 i'd cap vs the usa's starting 11.

as horrible as brasil is right now, they can still beat them on occasion.

press/sydney/dunn > mexico's starting 11

there was one girl on the costa rican NT i'd cap in the usa.

the mexican players have a big advantage because most of them are playing at the elite universities in the states like stanford. it helps being next door to the usa, so there's no excuse if they aren't making the squad unless the talent just isn't there at this time. like a-rod (cuban), they can be classified as white.

as far as stanford, didn't posters on here call them the harlem globetrotters of college soccer when press won the hermann, so everything over there must be over the top? :rolleyes:

somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% of the latinos are afro like Press, who is Afro-Latin, so the 16 latin to 13% black is a bit fuzzy when it comes to us of at least 10% afro-blood.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I think maybe some research would do you good, so I'll refrain from correcting more of your fabrications.

As to who Veronica Perez is, she is the player that got the game winner in Mexico's 2-1 victory in qualifiers in Quintana Roo that won them a qualification slot for the last WWC and sent the USA into a 3 month quest to wrest the last 1/2 slot from Italy. She was still a college player. She was allocated to Seattle.

And she did it running circles around the USA back line.

The only Costa Rican player I recall is Lady Andrade. She is in the wrong sport.

9. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lady Andrade is Colombian I believe, right? Otherwise she's on the wrong national team. Yeah she probably would be pretty decent as a boxer than a soccer player.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Ok, so no Costa Rican player impressed me, even in boxing.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Perez was allocated to WNY, not Seattle. Apparently there was a trade attempt to get her back to Seattle, but since the trade had to be both Mexican, they couldn't work a deal.

She played for UW and the Sounders Women.

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Was she on the field in the 4-0 wrecking job by team USA? USA vs CR wass a closer match for at least 45 mins. I was impressed by a CR forward and their guardian. what i'm saying is, they, Mexican NTers, play daily at all levels against USA talent. They can't be falling through the holes. It has to be a talent issue, or they don't have the overall athleticism to make the squad. Sydney had the talent vs taking 2nd best in Canada.

Has Veronica Perez tried out for FC USWNT since she can run circles around current subs on the squad?

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

What part of "plays for Mexico" didn't you get?

To be fair, the actual score came when the 5'2" player won a header from Rampone and Mitts.

14. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Where is the footage of them beating the NT 2:1? I guess I missed that, or the NT team didn't take it serious, b/c they rolled over and around them. And it could get just as ugly in the months to come with the newbies trying to show their wears and get roster spots.

They still aren't that good, given they literally play from youth - college in the USA. Every dog has its' one day.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Your Costa Ricans play from grade school, if I recall correctly. Still waiting for you to produce highlights of Tica superstars.

Didn't take it seriously? This was World Cup Qualifiers semifinals knockout round. The winner went to the World Cup. The loser spent more months trying to get a 1/2 slot from Italy.

Here is the Mexico highlights. Added bonus of old, slow, unathletic Maribel Dominguez getting behind the USA back line of LePelbet and the other athletic superstars.

They had their own Brandi Chastain moment.

And Rapinoe's hair hadn't magically turned Blond yet.

16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    oh brother, where the hell was solo? Full squad vs full squad, they wrecked Mexico.

Like i said, all dogs have their day, and without solo in net mexico had its' day.

the usa had an ok WC, and mexico absolutely did nothing. based on their girls coming thru the usa university systems, they shouldn't be too far behind the usa in rankings.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Stop making excuses and admit Mexico has athletes. They are the same lame excuses you make for Brasil.

Still waiting for Tica highlights.....

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Look Teresa won the Hermann. Lets see how she does over the years on the national stage vs the two USA Hermann winners Dunn and Press. They are all under 3 NT caps, so the playing field is about even, just Press and Dunn have a bit harder road. Outside of that, we have our different opinions on the Mexico NT, and how good they should be on the International scene, give they have more access to the USA than any of the other girls in S/C Amer and the Caribbean.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Mexico went just as far in the last World Cup as Germany did. They both went out in the Quarters.

I don't think much about Noyola on the international scene, in case you have ADD. My only mention of her was that she isn't a starter for either team.

I don't think the proper comparison is Dunn anyway. The three Stanford players would be the better measure. OHara is now a defender, in no small part because of the embarrassment Perez caused. Noyola's big claim to fame will be she won a National championship and the other two Stanford Herman winners didn't.

Still waiting for a Tica highlight....

20. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what your are saying is that woman soccer players aspire to play in the NBA or NFL? just messing with you, but you make a point in the wrong forum..

21. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Folks it comes down to finding the most talented players, not the most popular ones and not letting the ncaa coaches control the federation selection process!

22. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ohara with all those caps and Olympic experience as a starter, are you kidding? Dunn, Press and Teresa are fair to track since they are the new jacks (that's reminds me of magicjack). So, NC isn't an elite USA program now. That's all they talk about on this board is North Carolina.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I have no idea what this has to do with Mexico or Tica superstars...

24. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California