@LA Zlatans: DC after Fireworks

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murrdcu, Jul 2, 2018.

?

what do you expect the result to be against LAG?

1. Win. Arriola will guide us to glory.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Lose. Zlatan too much, but nice to see Kitchen and Pontius again

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Tie. Such a crazy game, surprised it wasn’t a Geiger Show

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There are some positives in this game.

But LA were truly horrible.

DCUSA repped this.
  2. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep exactly. Turning out to be a real bargain at the price we got him for, which at $400k is not insubstantial.

Winoman, onefineesq and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

4. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    They played a 37 year old LB as a CM. Kitchen's passing was not good [typical], Zlatan was visibly frustrated by the poor play of his team. I thought Alessandrini was their most energetic attacker and they took him out.

5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. The Galaxy are wretched.

6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently there were some issues getting a section for the away fans as one SG (no names) sabotaged the others by reaching out to the Galaxative FO and said only 2 people were traveling and no section was necessary.

When 20+ showed up the Galaxative FO were surprised but did what they could.

James

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how I read the details of what actually happened (which were still awful), but go ahead and attack the group that hurt your feelings.
    Your attention might be better spent tilting at the DCU FO (surprise!).

8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Wait wait wait. DC Utd supporters groups arent getting along? Then whats the point of a supporters group? Fans making it about themselves instead of whats really important.

scarshins, DCUSA, DCUSKINS and 2 others repped this.
  9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    No clue. I would hope it was the coaching staff.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What I wrote I heard from the LAGalaxy Ticket Rep for away games. If the facts are actually different I haven't heard or read anything to refute what I wrote.

Please post those details.

James

sitruc, Dizi and UnitedBorn repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 37 year-old LB playing as a DM was Ashley Cole, who had some attacking runs and went the full 90". LA has injury issues, too, but Cole's pedigree is such that I doubt he will ever have a "horrible" outing. If our 32 year-old Rooney can match Cole's fitness, we should be OK.

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zlatan makes everyone around him look small, but I think DCU pays a price for having what may be one of the smallest lineups in MLS. Our tallest starting midfielder among the usual Asad-Acosta-Arriola-Stieber is Asad, a towering 5'10". Brillant; Birnbaum; and Opare (injured) have some size, but we are still likely to be outmuscled close to either goal.

GumbyG, Winoman, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This is a very good point. We lose almost every long GK taken because we cannot win headers. We lose a lot of 50/50 balls in the air.

GumbyG repped this.
  14. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Redacted

15. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm actually curious
    What DID you read? I don't know the facts but what I read allegedly came from LA reps

DC refuses to even talk about this stuff publicly so if they end being misrepresented I feel no sympathy

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Seems like it's been that way for quite a while. How did we look on TV? Was our tifo as good as [insert other club here]? Was everyone singing loud enough? Could you read our banner? That's the kind of stuff that has been first and foremost for all the SGs for at least a decade. Watching the game...not so much. I say this as a member of two SGs.

fatbastard and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This applies to society as a whole it seems like.

18. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still remember being in the Barra for the San Jose game last year where Mullins inexplicably scored 4 goals. One of the non-capo capos was upset and yelling "This sucks" to someone in the 200s in regards to the atmosphere, which didn't seem any different than normal to me, especially with Mullins going off. Never mind our striker scoring 4 and us destroying San Jose in a season full of misery.

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    You left out: Could you hear our belches? Did you notice how others helped us not fall into our own vomit? How often did we throw beer into the air when the ball merely went into the side-netting? How creative were our curses of the ref? The other team? The owners? The other supporter groups? Our own players for scuffing on an open goal?

20. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Imho would we trade the only forward scoring goals this season just because Rooney can now play? If anything, we need a third striker to provide threats off the bench and insurance Incase a forward goes down with injury.

If you want to trade a guy away, it’s Mullins or Miranda. Mullins clears more salary cap space while Miranda opens up an IRS.

21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    They can both go.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    There you go again delving deeper into the issue than the casual observer who only scans a superficial player lineup, sees 37 years old and assumes the player is a has been.
    Concur that as long as Rooney doesn't drink Olsen's Benny ball kool aide and grow a bushy tail, at 32 he should be able to put a plan behind his exertions rather than running around in circles pointlessly.

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I saw Barra tweets, but they don't tweet so someone else must have been tweeting their stuff from somewhere else, maybe facebook - initially they seemed to blame SE Road Trips but then backed down and said it was the team. I guess the team contacted the SEs to see if they organized a trip - they hadn't, they sold 2 tickets so didn't need to do anything thru special channels - the team told LA they needed 2 seats - without considering other Cali-local DC fans might show up or anyone else might be going.

Conjecture:
    Someone from the Barra must have bought some tickets and not told the LA ticket folks that they were away fans.
    Perhaps they waited until just before the game to buy their tickets (once they knew for sure how many they needed) so no coordination was possible.

Normally the groups would coordinate a ticket-buy (or have for some games I've been to) but since they're engaged in a junior-high-school-girl-like fight they didn't.
    The thing was a mess but I didn't see any details that indicated the SEs sabotaged the Barra (however they would do that even if they wanted to) as indicated in the post I replied to. That was really the only reason I saw fit to reply - you're right not a lot of the facts are out there, so I may be wrong too.;)
    Sounds like someone should have tried to let the LA FO know they had a group coming, even if exact numbers weren't known.

I thought MLS rules made a team set aside a minimum number of away tickets for all games, but some teams apparently have weird ticket rules for away fans where you have to have numbers a week or more ahead of time or other weird things.

Winoman and Dizi repped this.
  24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought my tickets through the Barra link on 5/12. Others bought around the same time. I think based on FB discussions between the Left Coast Legion group and Barra that most people locked in their travel plans by the end of May.

James

25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nobody wants Miranda or Mullins. At least not for value. Buy low sell high. I live what Mattocks is doing but anyone can see that he’s Roy Lassiter with a good head.

UnitedBorn repped this.