LA Opinion: Figo, Beckham, Ronaldo, Crespo, et al

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by DaniCrew, Nov 12, 2006.

1. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From La Opinion:

http://www.laopinion.com/deportes/futbol/?rkey=00000000000000733320

According to this article: Figo, Beckham, Ronaldo, Maldini, Zidane, and Crespo are confirmed for MLS for 2007... Figo, Beckham, Ronaldo, and Zizu each to receive a 5 year contract worth $20M per year...

Ronaldo: some things to work out with Nike (Ronaldo's sponsor) since MLS is sponsored by adidas... Ronaldo told the newspaper ABC of Spain, "after my contract with Real Madrid i will play in MLS..."

Beckham: he has confirmed that negotiations with MLS are going quite well... has said the Galaxy are the pearl of MLS and has a $7.5M mansion in Beverly Hills...

Figo: will be placed in a team in the Eastern part of the U.S.... his contract will not be renewed in Italy...

Ronaldo would find his way to N.Y. since the Galaxy are primed for Beckham...

D.C. United has an open wallet to sign a "5-star" Argentine or Brasilian player...

Discuss...

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Figo, Beckham, Ronaldo, Crespo, et al

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. njzorrooo

njzorrooo Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

You sure it was "Opinion" and not "Onion"?

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI

Man lands on Jupiter and Neptune!

5. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

The source is not a good one...
    I doubt RM has given Becks permission to discuss terms with LA yet..
    It also mentions a 7.5 million dollar house in Beverly Hills.. That would be a cheap one for him and cheap for a BH mansion.. There's a "fixer-upper" for sale in Pasadena for 52 million...:eek: Really.. The other stories had him buying a house in Bel Air which is generally better for privacy than Beverly Hills houses.. Further, if he had already purchased a house in BH, as the article indicates, there is no way that would still be a secret to everyone but "La Opinion"..
    Anyway.. While one or two of the mentioned players may end up here at some point, I would ignore that article.. It certainly isn't "confirmed"..;)

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Ha!!!

7. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Figo should come to Toronto, there's a strong Portuguese following here. For the U-20 World Cup, Portugal are already seeded to play all their games here. Before the hosts were even seeded, Portugal were given priority to play all their games at BMO field!

8. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004

The logic makes sense. Becks will probably land in LA if he comes to the US. Ronaldo and Figo will probably drink a lot of Red Bulls publicly. DC and Chivas will also make good use of the new rule.

9. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Dempsey was wearing Nike during the game today so I doubt it's a problem.

10. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow, how the hell are you suppose to take that seriously when they said Zidane is coming out of retirement to play in MLS. They could be right on Beckham and Ronaldo, but I seriously doubt there will be 5 "Beckham players" in MLS next year. I just don't see there being more then 2 next year.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I guess all this will last until Jose's mom yells "A CASA"!

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty loose definition of "news," don't you think?

13. Karras

Karras New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Salt Lake City

While I don't doubt that this article is a bunch of crap, and this is a little off-topic, 7.5 million is not cheap for beverly hills. Per yahoo real estate, which has MLS (that's Multiple Listing Service) listings for Beverly Hills, avg. home price in beverly hills is 2.3 million and the most expensive home listed is 33 million. Of 218 properties listed in Beverly Hills, the first home at 7.5 million is the 25th most expensive home. 7.5 million is certainly above average.

14. el cucharon

el cucharon Member

Mar 17, 2003
    friendship village

Winner!!!

15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so begins...an entertaining off season?

16. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

You're forgetting that most of the homes in Beverly Hills, while nice, are not what you would call "mansions"..There are a lot of smaller homes on lots that aren't that big.. I was refering to the sections of BH that are all mansions.. That's what the article called his house..;)
    I'm just guessing that Beckham doesn't want an "average" house but at least one as nice a Nicolas Cage's at 35 million..;)

17. Karras

Karras New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Salt Lake City

Again, not to hijack, but I'm bored, so...
    Your idea of what rich celebs, even the very rich, spend on homes is way out of wack.
    okay, I get that some $1 million homes in BH aren't mansions, but my point is that 7.5 million is way above average, not just above average, and even the $1 million homes are very nice. 7.5 million is close to the top 10% for all of BH, which gets you a very nice above average mansion.

30 million is insanely high, even for a very rich person such as becks. 30 million is reserved for the ultra uber rich, we're talking billionaires or close to it, not the run-of-the mill $100-300 million net worth like Beckham is. I'm guessing that there aren't more than 50 homes in the entire US that are for sell for over 30 million. BH has only one right now, as does LA. Malibu has one at 30 million and none over that. San Fran has only one.

Beckham, while rich, is nowhere near being in the top 50 or even 400 wealthiest people in the US. Forbes magazine says there are at leat 400 billionaire Americans. Those are they types buying $30 million homes.

I looked up Cage's home. He bought it for 7 million in 1998. It's up for sale for 35 million, so that's 5 times what he actually paid for it. I think 35 million is way high for either him or Becks, although I guess they could afford it. Some eccentric celeb spendaholics like Madonna or Elton John might drop the cash, but definitely not the norm. Anyway, not going to continue this threadjacking any longer

18. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

I see you live in SLC..I lived in the Avenues with that basketball player Malone's house hanging over me ..;) Anyway, things are very different here and for one thing Beverly Hills is not all what people think of it from the outside.. It's mostly middle class.. The median family income is $102611..
    1 million dollar homes in Beverly Hills are little tiny houses.. Four bedroom house almost anywhere in the LA suburbs are in that range or higher right now..Most two bedrooms in a places like Pasadena are going for 650K and up.. Mostly up..Higher on the west side of LA.. The percentage of houses that are "mansions" in BH is not as high as you might think and I guess we have a different idea of what a mansion is.. ;) Anyway, the only point that really matters for this thread, IMO, is that if as the article had stated, Beckham had already purchased a mansion in BH we would know about it by some other source.. The properties he was said to be looking at in Bel Air were far above the 7.5 million range..
    In your search, BTW, you missed the $52 million dollar fixer-upper for sale in Pasadena..:p

I found it.. On this page next to a $24 million one for sale but it only has 9 bedrooms..
    http://c21arroyo.com/listings.htm?scope=ALL&state=CA&city=Pasadena

19. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just happy knowing MLS is now so rich we can pay a player 20 million a year ;)

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Rep four propper youse have the word "loose."

21. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I percieve the gurgling of a water pipe in the background, and the faint odor of inscense. Get a grip people. yes some big name or names might be coming to MLS next season, but lets not all get worked up on speculation.

22. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is quite amusing. La Opinion is becoming fun to read.

23. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except no one's picking Beckenbauer.

....right, New York?

24. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's nice to see that my own personal pulled out of my ass speculation on BigSoccer is being reported as news in the spanish language media.

I've made the bigtime, baby!