PBP: La Liga Santander - Jornada 7 | FC Barcelona v UD Las Palmas | 1 October 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Sep 28, 2017.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not only player safety, but fans as well. And remember there are many tourists who attend these games who have nothing to do with the political issue.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Missed the game today but it looks like I didn't miss much. It has to be surreal to play in an empty stadium. Specially one of that size.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hadn't checked the news that much.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's ridiculous. Like you said, let them vote and ignore the results.

5. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Even in my country Iraq, the Kurds held a similar referendum albeit the historical and political background being completely different, there was no violence at all, the Iraqi government waited until the vote was done and then blocked it for being illegal.

puyol and Gilmango repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Great job from Paulinho in the 1st half to soften the Las Palmas defense up for the 2nd half :D

R.Baggio and Gilmango repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The Spanish Federation should sanction themselves for scheduling the match on the same day as the election. What makes that even dumber is that - as we all know - the date and time of La Liga fixtures aren't even decided until about 3 weeks beforehand! We knew about this election 4 weeks ago.

Would also be a bit unfair to Las Palmas to cancel the match at the last minute. So tough position that the Board and players were put in (intentionally).

Anyway, as I mention above it shouldn't have come down to today. Its not like we didn't see this election and violence coming from a mile away.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Initially I thought the same thing about the scheduling. Why not Saturday ? But Barca played a CL game on Wednesday. And when a team plays on Wednesday, if I am not mistaken, they always schedule the La Liga match on Sunday to give the team an extra day's rest ... specially when it's an away game.

unclesox repped this.
  9. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    While watching the match yesterday, I was actually thinking why they didn’t they just block the section which have direct access to the pitch. I guess the camp nou was not entirely sold, so maybe they should have pushed every ticket holder a tier up or just let everyone sit where they want in a first come first sit basis. This way the people could still have voiced their opinions and the issue of having pitch invaders would have been dealt with. Or is there something I am not taking in account here?

10. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Well one reason was probably morons who could rush the pitch. Notice that even when playing behind closed doors there was someone who rushed on to the pitch. Imagine if it was 60000 angry catalans and some Spanish hard-core fans watching the game?!

I initially didn't understand at all why they wanted to play behind closed doors but when someone rushed the pitch then I felt more inline with the decisions. Guess I didn't think this through. But God knows! In the end 3p, 2 goals from Messi. Nothing more to discuss. On to the internationals!

11. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the federation would find an excuse to sanction Barca no matter what happened.

unclesox repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol Double fail!

Well, on the bright side there are lots of direct flights b/w BCN and CDG/ORY.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Surely they could've made an exception in this extreme case. We would still be talking about 3 days after the match in Lisbon. I'm sure both clubs would have been in favor of a switch to Saturday (Las Palmas also doesn't want to make the long trip to Barcelona if there's a good chance the match will be postponed).

FFS, they postponed a clasico to a Monday because of an election a few years ago!

15. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    we go 7 on 7 and until oct 15th,we stay here.

Then we start a bunch of tougher games including Atleti/Athletic/Sevilla.

Messi and Suarez are involved in the toughest phase of their life with neither team sure of qualification yet.Would be brutal if either or both of them done make it to WC 2018.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Uruguay is fairly safe. Even if they screw up Venezuela away, they have Bolivia at home to close it off.

Argentina has it fairly tough and will have to sweat it out. Depends if they get the result vs Peru who have been the 2nd best team in the 2nd half of qualifiers if I am not mistaken or if Ecuador has anything to play in the final game. Chile is the one in most trouble.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unfortunately the most likely outcome seems to be a world tour for Messi in November: Wellington, New Zealand on (probably) the 10th, Buenos Aires on the 14th and back to Spain for an away match on the 18th. So still playing a match every 4 days while travelling to the other end of the planet (literally!**)

I will use this opportunity to reiterate my latest pet-peeve: there are too many int'l breaks and the breaks are too short. If they made the int'l breaks twice as long (and had half as many) they would be able to reduce travel (significantly so in the case of players not playing in the same continent as their nationality) and players would have a full 4 days rest minimum between the NT match and the first club match upon return (i.e. NT match on Monday at the latest, club match on Saturday at the earliest).

**Interesting related factoid: The antipode of Wellington, NZ is just outside Valladolid, Spain. :geek:

evil_allan and Gilmango repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Argentina beats Peru at home they should be able to finish higher than 5th.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, although Peru is the hottest team in CONMEBOL apart from Brasil! And even though Ecuador are struggling, I'm never confident about Argentina playing at altitude, and the recent match in La Paz was a reminder why. So two tough matches.