La Liga Players Strike

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Horsehead, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm surprised we don't have a thread on this. For those not following, we're supposed to be playing our opening game against Athletic Bilbao today but La Liga players are on strike. They're still not sure if the league will start next week, here's some of the latest reports...

From BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14596439.stm

From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/ne...soccer-league-la-liga-players-far-apart-talks

From Marca: http://www.marca.com/2011/08/21/futbol/1adivision/1313946031.html

2. Toro70

Toro70 Member+

Nov 29, 2008
    US, CT
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sunday without La Liga SUCKS :(((

3. Cyrudan

Cyrudan Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    After some clarification with the Catalan board of football etiquette, this strike is not hurting Spanish football at all, contrary to institutions like Real Madrid, and Espanyol Barcelona.

Thank you and continue.

5. Cyrudan

Cyrudan Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sandro Rossell is outraged about some clubs inability to pay wages, unfortunately he can't elaborate on his comment as he is on his way to the bank for another loan

6. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hope this gets sorted asap. What i dont understand is the timing of this issue? Surely it could have been solved after the league had finished or during the whole summer.

7. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    From the players' perspective, now is when they can exercise some leverage - their timing makes sense (not that I am happy to see the strike).

8. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I'm willing to sacrifice a few weeks of Liga action to see the players get what's rightfully coming to them, get yo' Norma Rae on I say :D

But seriously our team really is affected as far as player wages etc. but hearing these stories of how players from some of the smaller teams can't even afford gas for their cars, due to unpaid wages, to get to training is beyond ridiculous. Of course the law that protects these Clubs in financial distress from punishment is another joke but this situation needs to rectified.

9. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yep, because you know that the guys in the suits at the club get theirs. :mad:

10. Epic Movements

Jan 14, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That should be a bigger problem than not paying Millioneres their Millions.

Anyways, can't we just ask Malaga to pay the 52.8Mill? Or lets have Barca, Madrid pitch in 20 Mill each and 13M from Malaga, problem solved. That would only be fair because Madrid and Barca make 10-100 times more than everyone else.

11. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    You're clueless.

No shock at all though.

12. ADiSKOTEC

ADiSKOTEC Ketchup Factory

Dec 3, 2010
    Burbank, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have a different question about the schedule of La Liga. Are the games now being played much earlier than last year? Like, instead of 10pm local match time, it's 12 noon? Making it 3am pacific standard time for me to watch live? Ugh I'm gonna lose some sleep if this is the case.

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fantastic idea. Why don't i quit my job, and you just pay all my expenses?

14. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not sure if your serious but it doesn't work like that. Those responsible should pay for it, not others.

You can't expect people to bail you out for your mistakes (yes i am talking about yo to you, you damn BANKERS).

15. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I remember reading that some of the games will be played much earlier, but i don't know how many of those will be our games.

I think it was Perez who gave the idea a year ago to play earlier so that La Liga could get more fans in Asia.

16. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I must admit I do not know too much about the issue, but if the players make a logical plea.. then they should be heard and get it done with. We've seen throughout the world " the power of the people" . Justice will be served sooner or later.. why not make it sooner ?

17. Cyrudan

Cyrudan Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Secret Footballer: Why do they blame us for the high wages?

"Be honest. How many of you, when berating a player either in the pub or in the stands, bring up money? Most, I'll bet. "Overpaid!" "Not worth it!" Not many say the owners were mad to give him the wage in the first place. Instead, most of the anger goes towards the player, for seemingly having the sheer nerve to accept it."

Yes the schedule seem to be undergoing some changes. As it looks now the matches will be played earlier to open up for the asian broadcasting market - plan is to rival Premier League when it comes to broadcasting revenue and thus La Liga will try to cater more to the asian market. Previously some of the matches would start 4AM for a big bulk of the asian countries, now it will be around prime time instead.

Sunday seems to be affected the most with the new 11am(BST) match followed by 3pm, 5pm, 7pm and finally the usual 9pm match.

18. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Getafe owner (journalist said its shocking) "If big superstars such as Real Madrid and Barcelona players want to support strike why dont they pay off our debts to the players"
    :rolleyes:

19. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My questions for him would be:

Why do you promise players something u can't deliver/pay?
    Why don't you quit your job and let someone better do it?

20. Toro70

Toro70 Member+

Nov 29, 2008
    US, CT
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Did you get your ideas from this guy?

[​IMG]

21. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Seems more like this one..

[​IMG]

22. Cyrudan

Cyrudan Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Strike almost certain for this weekends matches. According to Luis Gil the involved parties is still far from a compromise. New meeting again tomorrow.

23. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I reckon LFP have offered 6 ME each to first division clubs and 3 ME to clubs in the 2nd division. That guarantees 240k for each player in top division and 120k to 2nd division players. Any idea how much is LFP's annual revenue? Maybe they can't afford more than that? Anyways clubs are at fault for not living within their means and LFP to a lesser extend for not putting any sort of financial restrictions. I believe there is a system in France where they verify the accounts of all the clubs every year from these things from happening.

Also these clubs are using bankruptcy law as a loophole to cut 50% of the promised wages. There should be sporting punishments in the coming years for clubs like these. Its ridiculous that clubs like Depor, Almeria who pay their players are in second division while clubs like Zaragosa gets to stay in top division while not paying their staff.

24. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    What roles do the LFP and RFEF play in contractual disputes (between player and club)? I ask because I understand that one of the 'asks' is that a player be allowed to a seek a new club once his wages haven't been paid for X time. I don't understand why a player would not be protected in a situation like this.

25. azriel

azriel Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    San Diego, USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wait, your telling me that currently a player can't leave his club even though they haven't paid him in months?? :eek: