La Liga no longer interesting?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by richo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you actually watch la liga you will know that the quality of teams and play across the league is high. Mid and low table teams don't cower to Madrid and Barca they play them honestly and with skill and style. It's kinda unfair with the budgets Barca and Madrid have to expect the other teams to compete with them they simply cannot. Put Barca and Madrid in any other league in the world And they would routinely finish in the top two.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But they aren't in another league. They are in LaLiga so its La Liga that is uninteresting.

3. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do you watch la liga many clubs across the league play attractive, technical stylish football. But if your more into the frenetic pace of run and kick long balls it's not your league.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Your views seem to be based on old stereotypes, not reality.

La Liga used to be my favorite league but I got tired of watching 5-0 games in front of half-empty stadiums every other week. Now I find Bundesliga and EPL more exciting. Sure the quality might be 10% lower, but I'll trade an ounce of quality if it means seeing more competitive matches in packed stadiums.

5. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I currently watch la liga and that is what I observe. Spain is going through an economic depression hence the empty stadiums and clubs saddled with mountains of debt (even barca and RM). Yes the EPL is more exciting and "packed" but to each their own.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I just noticed that Hull City spent more money this transfer window than teams like Juventus, AC Milan and Inter. LOL Ok, that doesn't have much to do with La Liga but with Madrid and Barca hogging most of the TV revenue, it pretty much means that most La Liga teams can't even afford what the poorest EPL teams are able to pay.

And, yes, "run and long ball" is a faulty stereotype. Even Hull has top international players that play for Croatia, France, Uruguay, Egypt etc. QPR has internationals that play for the Netherlands, Chile and Brazil! These are countries that pride themselves on technical footballers.

7. matleblanc

matleblanc Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    But such the poorest English team can't even play in Europa League. Such Sevilla is not the richest club in Primera but they won the Europa league and proved the money means nothing. We can't compare the economical situation in the UK and Spain, a gulf divides these countries.

SuperChivo repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They can play. They got to the playoff round of EL qualifying and lost on away goals. Real Sociedad didn't do any better.

You are comparing apples to oranges also. The EL representatives from England include the League cup and FA Cup winners (or finalists), which are often not among the top 10 teams in England. Or even top 15. Whereas Spain sends their 5th, 6th and 7th-best teams to the Europa League.

9. Tumisu

Tumisu New Member

Oct 31, 2014
    I think there are other good teams than RM and Barça. Last season, Atletico Madrid was champion and made it to the Champion's League final. Sevilla also did another great European year. So, yes, Real Madrid and FC Barcelona usually are above the rest of the teams, but la Liga is still interesting. This year Atletico, Valencia and Sevilla are doing very well. We will see.

10. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I don't think there is any doubt that EPL has overall the best talent, just due to what they can pay...but I don't find it that interesting personally...on the bright side, we produce kickass young players that EPL cannot hope of making. I think once foreign owners start making their way to Spain, it'll improve dramatically.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    La Liga is interesting in its own way. It helps that they do so well in their UEFA coefficients that they have that 4th spot for CL. Even if the title race is decided between Real and Barca almost every year, the other 2 CL spots are wide open. Certainly more wide open than England who sends the same 4 clubs year after year. Spain has sent Real, Barcelona, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal, Athletic, Malaga, Deportivo, Mallorca, Betis, Celta and Sociedad just since 2000. That's 13 clubs in 14 years. Compare that to England who has only sent 8 clubs in that same time frame.

Phoenix Rising repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's just simply untrue. You can't even find the same 4 teams two years in a row since 2008-9.

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I actually checked. Didn't just pull that out of my ass.

Spain has sent 13 teams since 2000. England only 8. That's a big difference. France is the next closest with 10 clubs sent in that time frame ... which is quite a feat since they have one less spot to fill.

14. primerodemayo

primerodemayo Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Isla Cristina
    In the new season's Premier League 15/16 get a very high TV income. The last team in EPL will get a minimum of 100 million Euros. This is more the third in la liga in Spain.

But in the league, this year there will be a new TV business, with distribution as EPL, more egalitarian.

Sevilla FC would enter 35 million (14/15), has entered 65 million (15/16). It is expected that the season 16-17 are 81 million.

Smaller teams: Rayo Vallecano 20 million -> 40 million -> 50 million.

This will add excitement to the championship, they will compete to recruit players who are now in the EPL, and will be more exciting.

Info in spanish TV Bushines: http://palco23.com/competiciones/20...-tv-cada-club-gracias-a-los-nuevos-contratos/

15. Bruce J

Bruce J Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's a lame 2 team competition btw RM and Barca

primerodemayo repped this.
  16. primerodemayo

primerodemayo Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Isla Cristina
    #91 primerodemayo, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    You are right. It's a shame.

I am fond of SevillA FC. Look what happened in Seville: Protest against the importance given to these two clubs in my country. (very many rivalry exists between my club and Real Madrid.).

This is the feeling of some of Spain to the monopoly

17. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The EPL will be a lame competition between Chelsea and City again, to be honest. Your league also plays crap football. It's seriously crap. EPL would be nothing without players it has plundered from La Liga, these players at least help make the football somewhat tolerable.

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You're so right !!

Funny how the good Spanish players go to the EPL and totally dominate the midfields ... Man City / Chelsea / ManU/ Arsenal all have a Spanish midfielder pulling the strings in midfield .

19. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For the umpteenth time in a row The international football statistics body the IFFHS has declared la liga the World's best followed by Serie A,Bundesliga,Argentina Primera,Ligue 1 and Brasileiro.The megarich overhyped premier league didn't make the top six

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Not surprising . I can't recall the last decent match I saw from the EPL .. La Liga is light years ahead in every department . We are sadly deluded over here .
    Then again we expect England to win every World Cup or Euro competition we enter :)

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Guess again! :p

22. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Plus hasn't LaLiga gone to the last day for the last three seasons whilst Leicester won by ten clear points

Persona and JoyceTT repped this.
  24. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    La Liga is more top heavy than the EPL, but that's what makes it that much more exciting. The fact that you have three teams competing year in and year out for the title and the quality of the teams that sit below them, the likes of Sevilla, Valencia, Athletic Bilbao, who all have the potential to beat those top teams provides intrigue. When United/Chelsea/City were dominating England, you knew that the matches between those teams were going to be the only matches that determined the title. That is not the case in Spain.

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I seem to recall a mid table Athletic Bilbao absolutely embarrassing top of the league ManU home and away a few years ago :)

Persona repped this.