La Gran Final de la Copa America Centenario Argentina Vs Chile June 26th [R]

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by sidspaceman, Jun 23, 2016.

1. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    In 2015 it wasn't a 1v1.. but it was still a vital miss.. Messi passed the ball to Lavezzi and Lavezzi passed it to Higuian.. and you know what happens next

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    ahh yeah

3. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  4. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    :laugh: :ROFLMAO: :D

5. el escorpion

el escorpion Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Baggio was the one to make me fall in love with football, his style is something that you see in guys like Bochini, el Diego, Francescoli or Zidane, how in the hell can you compare a good striker like Higuain with a real master like Baggio? and by the way, Baggio fail in one final, Higuain fail clear chances in three freaking finals!!!!

nfiniti, Pipiolo and Loco repped this.
  6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Ole

http://www.ole.com.ar/

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Hard to accept that when they were outplayed in both finals. If they had beaten Argentina twice sure... not the case

Cariverplate246 and Loco repped this.
  8. JamieFox

JamieFox Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I don't recall a bad miss by Higuain in 2015 final but perhaps you mean the one where he was sliding in right by the goal, the angle was too tight. Not a bad miss. Not a great one in the world cup final though. Those one to ones are not easy, in practice I'd say 50/50 or less of them are goals, but the one this year was one too many.

I am not sure about those criticizing Baggio though. Without Baggio in 1994 they exit 1-0 in the last 16 to Nigeria following a very poor group stages. He scored a good 20-yard last minute goal in that match, and the extra time winner. He also scored the late quarter final winner, and both semi final goals.

The other to recall about Baggio 1994 is that even if he had scored it would have been 3-3 in the shootout with Brazil having one penalty left. So, if Baggio scores, the chance of Italy winning is still only about 15% at that point. In other words, it probably didn't make any difference.

Baggio didn't walk away either. In the 1998 world cup, in the group stages, 2-1 down to Chile, Italy got a late penalty. He steps up with Chilean players shouting abuse at him and coolly slots it in.

Higuain is a good player, but Baggio is another level.

el escorpion repped this.
  9. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    So what would YOU say is the best South American side of all time? Aside from Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil of course.

All of the teams had common issues. In my opinion, Chile were outplayed last night but deserved the win as they limited the Argentina attack and the few times they did go forward, they looked better. As I said, a lot of the good South American sides had common issues. Peru in 1975 won the Copa America, beating Brazil 3-1 away and then barely getting away with drawing lots after they lost 2-0 in Lima. Paraguay in 2010 were good but didn't win a single Copa America, never mind 2. Colombia 1994 were class but they didn't play tournaments very professionally.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Peru of the mid 60s to mid 70s has greater players however:

Benitez - Chumpitaz - Melendez - Fuentes
    Velasquez - Cueto - Sotil - Joya
    Cubillas - Leon

11. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Back to back Copa America titles and all it took was 99-100 years. I'll take it. :D

Last night this Chile team was able to re adapt and play as a unit when it counted. Going the distance is a tactical battle that takes mental strength and the players were able to come through again in the penalty kicks.

12. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Yeah, you can only call Messi a choker if you don't watch the games.

In the three finals lost he's gotten handed an impossible task- to take on 4-5 defenders completely by himself or with maybe one guy way off to the side for the entire game. Even Barcelona Messi can't do that. Even in those highlight reel goals in the Spanish league where he dribbles the entire defense he has teammates around him so defenders can't clamp down totally on him.

But it's really unbelievable how his Argentina teammates disappear in finals.

13. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    he simply needed a Veron (instead of Biglia) and Redondo (instead of Banega) combo in midfield and a Batistuta as a #9 (instead of Pipita)

14. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

hard not to blame Higuain.

15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It's even harder to believe, that despite all of this, which is widely known, they insist in Argentina in using him all the time. Considering all the alternative players they have.

his sister must be very hot ......:p

16. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    True but as a team I´d say they were less than present Chile.

Dominican Lou repped this.
  17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #367 Rickdog, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  18. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Arsenal will be thrilled.

19. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Didn't that team lose 6-0 in a World Cup?

I'm not arguing that players like Cubillas, Sotil, and Chumpitaz weren't great players, but guys like Bravo, Medel, Vidal, Aranguiz, Vargas, and Alexis all have something to say with their ongoing careers before we start looking at who were better players overall.

20. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Take Vargas out of that. He's shown he's a great player but just hasn't done it at club level after U de Chile. Not too sure when it comes to Aranguiz either. The other Chileans mentioned definitely have a say when it comes to careers though.

Yañez repped this.
  21. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia

Present Chile gets the most out their players better than any team I've ever seen.

I mean, Puch plays in the Ecuadorian league but he looks like he should be at Chelsea. Vargas bounces from club to club but with Chile plays like Suarez or Lewandoski. Beausejour is past his prime (and was just a decent player in his prime) but was impeccable this Copa.

It's really amazing.

22. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Argentina is too dependent on Messi and there is no 'I' in team.

• Germany didn't have a player like Messi in the 2010 World Cup and still eliminated them. Maradona didn't even know who Muller was.
    • In the 2011 Copa America, Uruguay didn't have a player with the caliber of Messi..........

When you break down all of those teams that prevented Messi from winning a title, you can find more than a handful of players that are either better or at a minimum will go toe to toe with players on Argentina.

Anyone that doesn't realize that is either delusional or doesn't watch enough footy.

Outburstz repped this.
  23. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
  24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  25. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO that's a funny picture but I think all of this blaming on Argentina teammates isn't fair they are great players that 90% of the world kill to have