LA Galaxy v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, June 17

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jun 15, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's a late one. Wake me up if we score.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    1. Fine, still no reason for that much injury time. '3 was perfectly adequate.
    2. Do you not know how offside works? His head was offside = he was offside = it was offside and we got jobbed.
    3. lol dude the AR was standing 10 yards away from Deric but know better? Also in no way is that a red even if was a handball. Learn the rules.

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure you got your stopwatch out all second half for the stoppage time. You got a time log of injury and substitute stoppages for me? If they scored in 2 minutes you'd bitch about that.

I'm glad you've worked out the vector angles on that offside call. Where did I say he was onside? It's a close call in that situation.

Deric actually had a man coming in on him when he handles it outside the box, I've seen that called red before.

And for all of you clamoring for VAR, be careful, Dynamo may be on the other side of that.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    1. '6 minutes was extremely excessive. That clearly favors the team chasing the game. '3 would have been perfectly adequate. There was no crazy stoppage of play that requires a crazy ('6) of injury. 2 of the subs were used before the 2nd half began requiring no additional time. There was no justification for '6.
    2. The goal was clearly offside... the AR's job is to spot this... no matter how close... the Dynamo got screwed.
    3. No, the man was actually pretty far away from Deric when he handled it. You don't know that he was outside the box. The AR was 10 yards away and didn't call it so ill defer to his judgment. If Deric did accidentally handle it in that situation there was basically no chance he was getting a red. The attacker was not that close and there were defender between him and Deric. It's not like it was a break away or something. Yellow card max in that scenario.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you'll defer to his judgment on the offsides I assume as well? Can't really have it both ways dude, refs job is to call the right things and they miss stuff all the time.

Your stoppage time argument is stupid as well - your trying to argue that if there were only 4 minutes stoppage instead of 6 the Dynamo would have defended the goal better? Thats silly

6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    how am I having it both ways... we saw the replay where it was shown to be offside... we didn't see that with your alleged handball. (mostly because it was probably clean and not worth reviewing)

It's completely different. :rolleyes:

7. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Chelski - LA did not deserve thst point. We weren't perfect but we were much better than the Galaxy. We need to put teams away w a 3rd goal. We were wasteful.

8. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    this Galaxy team was poorer than I have seen in a long time
    no GDS made a difference

MOTM Mauro

Cubo not doing much for me as a #9

Hydro repped this.
  9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same as it ever was. Referee decisions protect the Galaxy from defeat to Houston.

CeltTexan and DNez2001 repped this.
  10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was not a hard offside to get right. The man had not been onside for many seconds -- at one point being several yards ahead of the last defender just seconds before.

I also do not understand, for the life of me, how we are scrambling in our box to cover space with only four or five players in the 95' with a 2-1 lead. I expected us to have 8-9 in the box. I need to go back and watch the whole sequence again and figure out how we got caught out like that.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I wound up downloading the uverse app for my iPad which let me watch the game in pretty damn good quality.

I had tried watching it on Facebook. I signed into Facebook at searched "MLS" "Dynamo v Galaxy" "Houston Dynamo" -- everything. No hits. So if it was there they made it impossible to find which pretty much sums up Facebook.

12. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 Hydro, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    My observations:

1. Yeah, the last goal may have been offsides, tough call, but we should have done better.
    2. We were playing a depleted Galaxy team. I heard they only had 17 players available?
    3. Manotas has a bright future.
    4. Cubo is NOT the reason why we missed the first road win of the season, but I'm ready to see Cubo sold to another team where he will be more successful. I'll admit Cubo is a great PK taker. I'll also admit that I thought Cubo was going to do much be
    5. Beasley plays like a 28-yr old.
    6. I didn't get the two substitutions at halftime.
    Oh well... won't go far in the playoffs if we can't win away from home.

13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It was streamed free on the Univision Deportes page. I should've mentioned.

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Pleased with the fighting effort against the Galaxy but I agree that was not the Arena Galaxy at all. If we didn't need a road win and outplay them for stretches I think coming in people would have been content with a point here. It's the "almost" that grates.

Manotas and Elis with nice finishes. Quioto has kind of disappeared since the injury, for reasons unclear, and Torres to me doesn't do enough run of play as a striker. I would like to see him tried wide.

I liked, for a change, the coaching aggression of halftime changes. Both involved on goal 2 if you noticed. The countervailing goof is we tried to see out the game with open play and sitting on the ball at their corner flag when I think we should have called it a day at 90 and bunkered for 6 minutes.

Goalscorer was offsides, should have been called, but how is no one marking anyone on the play that kills us -- and we way outnumber them. Count the guys marking air and yet someone is free as crosser and also back post. That's where I get into I don't think the zone thing helps sometimes. People are vaguely in the area but not precisely where needed and it makes all the difference.

I would not play a line on an equalizer. Not a fan of playing for offsides anyways. Particularly with money on the table late, I would run deep and give him the choice of crossing through bodies or cutting back. Trapping is playing odds and I prefer a more controllable absolute.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't going to mention the Galaxy was depleted (only dressed 17) and missing dos Santos, Jones, etc. because then I'm just a Dynamo "hater" but they were a bit thin on their roster - the Dynamo and all teams have that issue at times so it shouldn't be an excuse either way.

On Cubo, I don't think there is any way this ownership group pays for a true second big dollar DP so if they want to buy Elis, they probably sell Cubo while they can get something for him when his stats are inflated.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    the wing players are what makes this offense dangerous. they earn what kicks torres scores. they score of their own right. they are the difference between last season and this season, that i am not waiting for some lumbering offense to play through Torres and Bruin. so i obviously think the fast one should be kept over the kick taker.

i don't know if there has to be a decision. but if there does, you have to have someone with Elis' qualities, if not him. the speed and danger is what gets the offense downfield and opens the game for everyone else. i also think Torres' positive qualities, passing and kicktaking, would probably be better available in a 10, and you can then sign another forward.

i am concerned, however, that our superficial and cost obsessed mentality cuts the other direction. torres is a core part of the PR campaigns, and paid for. if you don't make "how" distinctions, he has more goals, 10. elis has fewer goals, and will cost a fee to retain. elis is actually the more dangerous player but ironically i could see us easily making a decision that in practice would push us back towards 2016 rather than 2017. you already tried running the whole thing around Torres (and others) and it sucked. Torres is still not in on many run of play goals, so it's barely changed. what changed is a 3 forward formation, an improved supporting cast, and him being able to take their earned kicks and rack up 5 pks plus a couple free kicks. you take that away, worst forward on the team. QED.

17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Next time go to the Dynamo Facebook page. It was linked right there. Or the MLS FB page, or Univision.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just when one thinks that his club team is gonna win a road match this season, BANG! A blown offsides call on a player who had just been standing in Long Beach to then get behind the defense and equalize. As one that does not want VAR, the one exception I am willing to make is for goal scoring situations that include offsides in question. Specifically since the ball across the line has already been tech savvy for a few seasons now with the wrist band tech used in some leagues around the Globe. Diving and theatrics can be reviewed and justice handed out post match.

Still, why more defenders and mids were not back there I do not know, that late in the game and parking the bus is perfectly fine.

WE MUST GET THIS DERBY WIN!!! DALE DYNAMO!!!

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't care for VAR because it's a game and not life, death, or justice.

I care about how the games go but in the big picture we were a tad vulnerable for a bit and that was just the punctuation. I'd like to have seen us fall back at some point. Cabrera was bright enough to get a lead but not enough to consolidate it.