LA Galaxy Plastic thread [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by gomez, Mar 29, 2006.

1. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    What does "plastic" mean? Credit cards?

I wuz wonderin'... cuz I have been a Galaxy fan since the beginning. It's been a hometown thing and it's all Cobi's fault. :cool:

Clan, I feel for ya. I growed up in small town PA... the Poconos. I know yer pain. I was able to jump ship and head west right outta school. :eek:

2. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    supporting a club solely because it's popular/sucessful.

3. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Big City America is much the same. Folks that know football will be foreigners from Russia, Africa and other football [soccer] playing countries. They can hold a conversation about football, but they have their own bias naturally. Yanks generally just think about football [soccer] every four years when the 'Gold Cup' is being played and they seriously think that they are about to win it. They think that their mens team will win it, just like their womens team won it. When I tell them that I have NEVER ever watched a womens soccer game they seem shocked. But how many folks in America seriously watch womens soccer or basketball for that matter?

In the cities I would say Basketball is the main thing, with American Football a close second . . .

4. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Each city is different, Monkee. NFL is far and away the biggest thing in this country then the #2 sport is dependent upon the particular region. The NBA teams generally get interest from their city when they are successful then are turned on when they are bad. I know some people from Boston and I was told repeatedly 'no one cares about the Celtics and Bruins' simply because they were bad. Then, the Celtics turn it around and the same idiots have Garnett jerseys now:rolleyes:Anywhoo... depends on the certain city and the success of the teams.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I always thought racing was the #1 sport in US.

6. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    surely it's watching t.v. right :p

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    that or visiting forums during work hours.;)

8. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    On the Pacific coast (CA) the mainstream cult holds basketball, throwball/pointy-ball/grid-iron as their main sports. The interesting thing about the Left Coast is that the mainstream cult is actually a much smaller percentage of the whole population. What that means is, football (soccer) is the dominant sport and occupies far more attention amongst the un-media'd majority. In socal high school sports budgets are shifting to favor football over gridiron because of the expenses alone... but the popularity is a powerful motivator. Locally, the grid-iron games are sparsely attended, despite the massive TV presence and the soccer matches are sol out affairs.

Now the US is a mammoth piece of real estate so results may vary...

9. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I'm not a "plastic" Galaxy fan... it's a local thing. But hey, I'm stoked y'all are cheering us on... we're on top at the moment. It's all thanks to the Chelsea connection (Ruud).

10. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And for the record no evidence exists to support the fact that anyone at anytime has ever been a plastic Chivas USA fan. That level of masochism is not present in nature :)

We do have a soft spot for Ruudi.